Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

I can see the likes of Leicester and Derby being interested in him if they come up, maybe Hull and Stoke aswell from the prem clubs.

He's Young, English and obviously not on high wages so there will be interest and I doubt we'll want much more than 4m.

Contrary to popular belief there is a decent player in there, we saw that second half of last season with his setting up of goals and his positioning can be worked on which has been a major problem for him this season.

Can't see there being a way back for him here while Lambert is manager.

Where did you read that? As he isn't even the highest for tackles or interceptions in the Villa squad according to Whoscored.

Actually it did come from whoscored.com back on 7th March.

Yeah I saw it on Twitter in the end. I thought you meant this season with your original post to be fair.

I like Lowton and i think he is an intelligent player. His downfall is that he isn't powerful/strong enough 1 on 1 with players and gets beaten (which interestingly i believe is Bacunas strong point) but reading the game and going forward he is great. Remember he has never really played along a solid centreback partnership like Vlaar/Baker this season.

I like Lowton and i think he is an intelligent player. His downfall is that he isn't powerful/strong enough 1 on 1 with players and gets beaten (which interestingly i believe is Bacunas strong point) but reading the game and going forward he is great. Remember he has never really played along a solid centreback partnership like Vlaar/Baker this season.

What ? - You think Vlaar \ Baker is a solid CB partnership ? - Id say borderline adequate myself.

Don't know about Lowton's inteliigence - or being powerful \ strong either - for me he doesn't have the pace to get back, when he has ventured over the halfway line, he is beaten by the easiest of tricks, and isn't great in the tackle. Last season he got by of his great play going forward, he hasn't been able to do that this season - I think he has been very poor season and rightly been dropped....

His main weakness is when people run at him with pace. He gets turned around so easily. It was a great clearance, but otherwise he wasn't particularly good today. I still think he'll leave at the end of the season. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not athletic enough to be a decent defender, but good on the ball and useful going forward.

id throw him in centre midfield, the guy can pass and except Westwood nobody else can. not on the same level at all but watching Lahm do it the other night I dont see why Lowton couldnt be tried

Only issue I have with this is his lack of discipline, his positional sense at RB is ridiculous could you imagine him in midfield.

The only problem I have is that he's rubbish, and if he isn't good enough to command a place as right back, why then shift him into midfield? Has there ever been an occasion when a right back has successfully reinvented himself as a central midfielder?

Philip Lahm...

*runs and ducks for cover

Gareth Barry did ok going from the left side of defence to central midfield. 

Had a good game yesterday

I don't know why we haven't seen that Lowton more often this season. Drastic dip in form? Poor management/ motivation? Simply not putting in the effort like he used to? Who knows.

I like him, always have. Think he's a great player. I think Lambert has shot his confidence though by freezing him out for parts of this season. There's obviously some issues between the two of them. Being late to training being one of he reasons if you believe the rumours.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Has suffered this season due to whatever issues have gone on between him and Lambert.

To be fair as well Bacuna has generally done well this season and PL has always played El-Ahmadi, Delph and Westwood all year I believe sacrificing Lowton to keep Bacuna in the side.

In a way it's good we've got a couple of options in that position going forward and I definitely don't want Lowton sold.

Â