Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

Bacuna is looking the part for me at RB. Pacey, pretty good at heading away the long diagonals and got forward for the cross Benteke headed over.

I like Lowton aswell but he's certainly not just going to walk back into the first 11 unless Bacuna picks up an injury.

• 2 weeks later...

He wasn't too bad. Average performance. Caught out a bit early on but was generally solid in the second-half (bar the yellow card). I still wouldn't move Bacuna for him though. If anything, let him play LB next game.

Just play him at RM. It's becoming clearer and clearer that he is uncomfortable defending, but he has some skill and definitely a good cross.

I've been saying for a while that he is more of a footballer then a defender. Ironically, Bacuna looks the better defender. 

Defensively he was dire today and Matt Jarvis of all people gave him a real hard time.

Offensively he did OK.

Overall this season he has been poor. Hopefully he can quickly regain the form he showed the second half of last season.

well hes's never been a great defender we know that but he does offer more going forward than Bacuna. The cross for Benteke was sublime. We dont get that type of service when hes not in the team. With 3 at the back i think its ok to play him at right wing back. 

Agree with trying him out at RM.

Also wouldn't mind trying him on corners. Can't be any worse than Westwood.

He took a couple of corners last season, I remember them. He's not the answer to our set piece woes, let me put it that way.

• Like 1

No way Lambert would ever line up the team with Lowton at RM. It's just not the way we play. People seem to be overreacting as always. Lowton was mediocre but suddenly saying he is not a RB is silly. Last season he was one of our best defenders and people were even discussing England possibilities. 

No way Lambert would ever line up the team with Lowton at RM. It's just not the way we play. People seem to be overreacting as always. Lowton was mediocre but suddenly saying he is not a RB is silly. Last season he was one of our best defenders and people were even discussing England possibilities.

I don't think that's what we're saying, at least I'm not. I think it's a mixture of getting the best out of Bacuna and Lowton. Bacuna has looked the better RB so far, so we're trying to figure out what to do with Lowton, since he obviously has talent, and our midfield is shambles.

Mostly for his attacking ability though .. Because last year we were not going to get a clean sheet anyway ..

About Lowton at RM .. I think it's a good idea if we'd like to change our formation a home .. 

With him and Tonev LM .. Gabby or Helenius behind Benteke .. Would offer us more pace and crosses and creativity too .. Especially when we consider that Delph and Bacuna who have a good qualities .. 

We played 532 Which Lambert hasn't played from Newcastle game last season .. He just played it against City and West Ham because we were forced and needed it too ..

Although I agree with you that Lambert doesn't do these changed until he's forced ! 

Or we could play Bacuna in front of Lowton, which I personally think would work really well if they were given the time to build a relationship.

If the two learnt to interchange, Bacuna dropping behind when Lowton goes forward, it would keep us stable at the back with Lowton still able to push on and get balls into the box.

Lowton yesterday showed how class his crosses are but his defensive positioning was a bit weird, he seems to tuck in a lot when tracking back and leaves the opposition winger a lot of space to get balls in. I thought it was strange considering we had 3 centre backs already.

Edited by samjp26

Â