General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the wages were sensible ie. 25k a week max

Thats the problem right there.

There doesn't seem to have been a stampede to sign him up so far. £25K a week is better than nothing. He might be damn glad of any offer now.

There's a damn fine reason why there hasn't been a stampede to sign him so far......

No to NRC, we want quality. 3 more players (FB, DM and CF) will realistically be enough IMO. Ideally, we will be looking at an attacking player who can play both on the wing and up front, similar to Ashley Young.

I have faith in Lambert, and laying all things on the table, he can't honestly think this team will meet his ambitions. More to come I think.

Pretty hard to prove that 'Mantis.'

If you consider the same circumstances, injury to Bent, Gabby out of sorts due again to injury or otherwise then we would still have struggled to score goals. Couple that with Petrov's illness, i tend to think, even with a better manager we still would have struggled badly and probably finished in a similar position.

Under a mediocre or even poor manager Bent would have scored a lot more than he did (e.g. like he did under Bruce at Sunderland). Bent's injury and Petrov's illness came as a massive blow but both of them were towards the end of the season. Any competent manager would have amassed enough points by then to see us through to the end of the season comfortably. Not saying we would've finished top half, but definitely a fair bit higher than where we finished under McLoser.

Really don't think your being realistic here at all considering where we finished last season. Has our squad improved quality wise since Lambert been here? I certainly don't think so and neither do the vast majority of VT who are still waiting on that quality coming in. Consequently we do not have a mid table squad at the moment as it hasn't changed much from last season. Our squad at the moment is where it finished last season and whether we have a better manager hasn't yet been proven either. I would certainly hope Lambert is better but we'll find that out soon enough!
Where we finished last season was in large part down to having one of the worst Premier League managers in history. Not entirely, but he was a large part of that.

Yes, I think the squad has improved, albeit not by a great deal. The only real loss was Cuellar, and we've brought in Vlaar since. We've also added a few more on top of that. It's not great, but as I said it isn't terrible either. Obviously we still need more players to come in but even now the squad isn't one that will be scraping relegation under a manager like Lambert.

Our squad wasn't bottom 5 last season and it certainly isn't this season. Are you trying to say that McLeish did a fair job?

Of course Lambert is a better manager. He finished above us last season with a poorer squad. Can't believe this is even up for debate. Anyone is better than McLeish FFS.

Unsurprisingly i disagree that we would have finished higher with a more competent manager in place. Our squad is a very poor one and bereft of any type of quality with the obvious exception of Bent. Squads which lack quality usually end up in a relegation battle no matter if they do have a decent manager and thats where we were last season.

Did Lambert have a poorer squad than us last season though? It certainly didn't look that way when we played against them. Norwich might not have had too many named players but they certainly played better football than us and to do that it can't be all down to the manager. If we had better players than Norwich why is Lambert in the process of dismantling our team rather than just imposing a new system? You see my point Mantis?

Just put in a bid for Mohammed Abdellaoi(spelling) for god's sake, Swansea's after him for 3 million and tonight he scored a lovely back heel goal against man united. Seasoned in Europa league, seasoned in the Norwegian national team and is left footed. Works his socks off and finishes better than anyone at our club including Bent.

If we don't get him he'll prob go to another Premier League club or one of the powerhouses in Germany.

yeah would be the quality needed in midfield, desperately truing to think of a defensive midfielder for us, can't think of anyone who we can...NZonzi maybe hear heres going out on loan but blackburn asking for £10mill

We need a LB another DM (yes another) and a partner for Bent. It sucks that Weimann and Delphonso havent stepped it up but we have to live with the reality I am afraid.

I hardly think Weimann has been given a chance yet

True in the league. But he has had a LOT of gametime pre season and if anything he is going backwards. I hate typing it, I like the player, but thats what I see.

edit: I didnt see the first half of todays game. Apparently he played well, so I could be off base with the above.

I like Lambert and I love the style he has us going for. My worry right now is (as others have mentioned) most of our team in general just doesnt look high enough quality. Lamberts signings so far have been canny and low budget. I do wonder how far that approach can take us. We need to bring in a true high quality player or two and pay for it, if we aim to be comfortable midtable this season I reckon.

Unsurprisingly i disagree that we would have finished higher with a more competent manager in place. Our squad is a very poor one and bereft of any type of quality with the obvious exception of Bent. Squads which lack quality usually end up in a relegation battle no matter if they do have a decent manager and thats where we were last season.
Unbelievable. Not saying we would've been pushing for Europe under a better manager but McLeish is a truly awful manager. Did you not watch us at all last season? Even at full strength he blatantly set out to draw despite the fact that our strength was in attack. That was his most crucial error.

Depends what you class as "lacking quality". If our squad lacked quality last season then I'd say pretty much everyone barring the top 8/10 did.

Did Lambert have a poorer squad than us last season though? It certainly didn't look that way when we played against them. Norwich might not have had too many named players but they certainly played better football than us and to do that it can't be all down to the manager. If we had better players than Norwich why is Lambert in the process of dismantling our team rather than just imposing a new system? You see my point Mantis?
Can't believe you're even debating this point. Of course Norwich had a poorer squad. They lacked quality way more than we did. Yes they played better football and got better results but that was down to the fact that their manager could get the best out of them where as ours did the opposite. If McLeish was in charge of that Norwich team last season do you honestly believe they would have even survived?

Wouldn't say Lambert is "dismantling" the team. He's clearly trying to address the main area of concern which is the defence. If he had the funds he's got here at Norwich he would have done the same thing.

You vastly overrate McLeish. I'm astounded. He was a dreadful manager and we underperformed terribly under him. A team with a front three of Gabby, Bent and N'Zogbia (with Ireland supporting) should not be the second-lowest scorers in the division.

What? Norwich's team was made up almost entirely of players who haven't played in the PL and spent their entire careers in the lower leagues. We had Bent, Gabby, N'Zogbi a, Given, Dunne, Petrov etc. as seasoned PL players. The quality of our squads is not even comparable.

Nigel Reo-Coker can absolutely get to ****.

Don't want him anywhere near this club. Chief general of pointing around and shouting at people to calm down after he's just panicked everyone by losing the ball right outside our box.

He can't play football properly.

Just put in a bid for Mohammed Abdellaoi(spelling) for god's sake, Swansea's after him for 3 million and tonight he scored a lovely back heel goal against man united. Seasoned in Europa league, seasoned in the Norwegian national team and is left footed. Works his socks off and finishes better than anyone at our club including Bent.

If we don't get him he'll prob go to another Premier League club or one of the powerhouses in Germany.

Great player. Rate him highly, would love to see him at Villa.

Constantly moving, great balance and a prolific finisher.

Doubt it would happen though.

Well Lambert arrived in June. - Thankfully. I don't see the sense in debating what would have happened had he arrived 12 months earlier. Thank god hes here - but last week with the injuries - and six goals conceded have brought into sharp focus the task PL has in keeping us away from the relegation zone.

I am sure PL knows what he is doing. I still have concerns in almost all areas of defence. Our two most experienced full backs are woeful - but the options aren't great Lichaj & Lowton. Lowton has a massive step up to make - whilst Lichaj is steady on a good day. Clark is the major worry for me - but we have no other feasible options - I know he is one of the old school - but I hope Dunne is fit sooner rather than later.

Never rated Nzogbia - flashy footwork but no end product is how I see him - really wish someone would take him off our hands.

I think we will sign a full back - and maybe a loan player before the window closes.

We'll be fine. Even if the squad stays as it is (and I'm not denying that more needs to be done) we'll be absolutely fine under Lambert. Probably won't pull up any trees but no danger of relegation either.

Don't get the doom and gloom on here.

We'll be fine. Even if the squad stays as it is (and I'm not denying that more needs to be done) we'll be absolutely fine under Lambert. Probably won't pull up any trees but no danger of relegation either.

I grew up on Ron Saunders football. get the defence tight and take it from there - granted thats old fashioned now - but six goals against in 2 games + a lot of inexperience in that defense gives cause for concern.

I grew up on Ron Saunders football. get the defence tight and take it from there - granted thats old fashioned now - but six goals against in 2 games + a lot of inexperience in that defense gives cause for concern.

It is concerning, but the defence isn't the be all and end all. Obviously it needs to be imrpoved (and it still might - transfer window doesn't close for another 20 days) but look at Norwich last season. Poorer squad with a poor defensive record yet still managed to steer way clear of relegation (and above us as well).

After McLeish I'd much rather see us draw games 3-3 than 0-0. Ideally you need to strike a balance but if Lambert's philosophy leans more towards the attacking side so be it and I welcome it with open arms.

It is concerning, but the defence isn't the be all and end all. Obviously it needs to be imrpoved (and it still might - transfer window doesn't close for another 20 days) but look at Norwich last season. Poorer squad with a poor defensive record yet still managed to steer way clear of relegation (and above us as well).

After McLeish I'd much rather see us draw games 3-3 than 0-0. Ideally you need to strike a balance but if Lambert's philosophy leans more towards the attacking side so be it and I welcome it with open arms.

Yes @ £40 a ticket - I agree with you.

At least if we go a goal down we know the game isn't over !