General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Dann.......... you heard it here first

no ITK just a hunch.......

Fits in with our age bracket, price range, experience etc........... Would be a good pairing with Vlaar, we can then use clark as a versatile squad member - possibly even loan Baker out for the season until Dunney winds his deal down..........

We do need two senior centre backs though. I fear for us if we go into the season with an untested player from the dutch league and two youth prospects as our CB options.

I agree with this. I'm genuinely worried that we will start against WHU with an untested and vastly underexpirienced back line. At the level we aspire to be, the backline we have at the moment isn't good enough IMO.

Dunne will be the one to go (when he's fully fit again) IMO.

We need another right footed centre half and whoever it is must it the criteria.

That is: commited, good on the ball and in his prime. We have enough youngsters coming through.

So Vlaar, Clark, Baker and new guy with Dunne leaving in January seems ideal.

Further cover comes from Lowton, Williams and Lichaj.

James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey

Appears #AVFC Lambert still considering another centre-back despite signing Vlaar. This summer at Villa Park promises to be a serious refit

Bit slow there James. ;-)

Some of us been saying this since around May!

Appears #AVFC Lambert still considering another centre-back despite signing Vlaar. This summer at Villa Park promises to be a serious refit

I'm struggling to see how we could afford another Center Back. Not in terms of transfer fees, but in terms of wages.

It was pretty obvious we were waiting for Collins to be removed from the wage bill before bringing in Vlaar (which is completely fine IMO). But to bring another Center Back in would surely mean another going out? With Dunne being injured he can't go surely.

Unless when Hutton goes we'll then sign another Center Back, and use Lowton/Lichaj(sp) as right back?

Scott Dann.......... you heard it here first

no ITK just a hunch.......

Fits in with our age bracket, price range, experience etc........... Would be a good pairing with Vlaar, we can then use clark as a versatile squad member - possibly even loan Baker out for the season until Dunney winds his deal down..........

That's a McLeish signing.

Have no idea who we'll be in for but would be excellent to see us sign another CB. This is exactly the kind of change we needed in the squad.

I'm struggling to see how we could afford another Center Back. Not in terms of transfer fees, but in terms of wages.

It was pretty obvious we were waiting for Collins to be removed from the wage bill before bringing in Vlaar (which is completely fine IMO). But to bring another Center Back in would surely mean another going out? With Dunne being injured he can't go surely.

Unless when Hutton goes we'll then sign another Center Back, and use Lowton/Lichaj(sp) as right back?

I think we are in a position now that the wage bill isn't that much of an issue anymore. Most of the big wage drainers have left, or are coming to the end of their contracts.

If he wants another CB I dont think it will be a problem.

IMO Hutton and Warnock will leave and we'll get a left back and centre half on a more or less comparable salary to Warnock for instance, leaving Hutton's wages free for somebody else. We can also be sure Dunne will be out of contract next year and so can speculate in the mean time. Lambert isnt going to miss out on somebody he really needs because the figures don't match up exactly. It's not that anal.

Well to be honest, if we shift Hutton out, I think we can afford to sign another CB on his wages or less. Because in my reasoning: we let Cuellar go and his place was taken by Lowton who should be on less wages, and then we sold Collins and brought in Vlaar who should be on no more than what Collins was on. IMO we will probably keep Warnock, unless MON comes in for him and that will leave us with Lowton/Lichaj/Warnock/Stevens as FBs, which I feel is good enough. That way we can afford to take Hutton's wages and put them towards a CB, if you understand my reasoning.

What about Cuellar's wages? I don't think the wages are done on a player by player basis, more an overall figure.