Wimbledon thread

mjmooney

Does anyone agree with me that this has been the best year for British sport ever.

*Record number of gold medals at the Olympics

*Record number of gold medals at the Paralympics.

*Successfully hosted the Olympics with out any major set backs.

*British tour de france winner.

*British grand slam winner for the first time since 1936.

*Incredible last day of the premiership.

I think that is all, have I missed anything? And please no one say 1966.

Record number of gold medals at the Paralympics.

We won 8 more in Beijing, but yes I agree with your overall point.

Plus the Brits won more golds at the 1908 Olympics.

(And there have been several other British Grand Slam winners in the Womens and the Doubles but that's being pedantic :D )

I just checked, yes Britain did win gold more at the 1908 Olympics, but only 22 nations competed, because of difficulties in getting to London because travel was not great then.

Secondly its all about individual grand slam wins, not doubles, or juniors etc.

What a great match. They played some awesome tennis. 50+ shot rallies etc. After a very hard fought opening two sets, Murray played like shit and basically handed Djokovic the 3rd and 4th. When Murray was 3-0 up in the 5th and Djokovic broke back then made it 3-2 I thought he was going to complete the comeback but Murray held his service games well and fully deserved the win. What a year it has been for him! Wimbledon final, olympic gold and silver and now the US Open winner! If Djokovic and Federer do shit in the remaining tournaments that are left to play this year, Murray could top the year off completely by being ranked number one!!! Longshot but apparently it is possible with how the ranking points work.

Not his biggest fan and I'll be honest in saying I was one of the many that thought he would bottle it.

Congratulations to him though and he fully deserves it. His game has rapidly improved over recent years and it looks like all that hard work has finally paid off. Now for Wimbledon...

Is Djokovic made of elastic?

How the hell does he not do his ligaments in with those rediculous splits he does when he's running at full pelt especially after he's still doing them after 4 hours of playing?

Either a freak of nature or has a conditioning coach that deserves a job at the Villa

Does anyone agree with me that this has been the best year for British sport ever.

*Record number of gold medals at the Olympics

*Record number of gold medals at the Paralympics.

*Successfully hosted the Olympics with out any major set backs.

*British tour de france winner.

*British grand slam winner for the first time since 1936.

*Incredible last day of the premiership.

I think that is all, have I missed anything? And please no one say 1966.

All this and a fantastic performance from the England team at Euro 2012...

Oh wait.

:|

• 5 years later...

Watching Wimbledon on my laptop at work (which is in no way impeding me from doing my work) and saw Boulter hit a great shot.  Found myself searching for the like button on the BBC pages.  I may have too many non work pages open right now.

Â