Brett Holman

ozvillafan

From the phone app. I had to calculate them myself, so they might be a bit out. I had Gabby 75% Holman 75% and Weimann 71%, (all play the same role). However I think, as a poster said before though, he does always look for the killer pass so his % might be a bit lower and give a false impression if indeed my calculations are wrong.

So they weren't stats you saw, they were stats you created :)

I think I will stick with the official ones. I'm also not convinced that he 'always goes for the killer pass' either but if he keeps scoring I will be happy.

So they weren't stats you saw, they were stats you created :)

I think I will stick with the official ones. I'm also not convinced that he 'always goes for the killer pass' either but if he keeps scoring I will be happy.

Not created, collated. duh. ;)

Well you're not convinced, but I think he does and I think his level of technical ability in general is underestimated.

I said way back when we signed him that there would be days you could kiss him and days you could choke the living shit out of him.

To be honest though I reckon Brett has taken to the Premier League far better than I could have imagined him to.

Still not a regular starter in my mind but if he is going to start banging in the goals it will be hard to leave him out. He is one of the few players we have who has the willingness and, it would seem, the technique to score from outside the area.

It will be interesting to see how the season pans out for him goal-wise. He already has twice as many goals in half a season with us as both Bannan and Ireland have after 2-3 seasons.

Brett Holman 2 goals in 16

Stephen Ireland 1 goal in 44

Barry Bannan 1 goal in 52

Yeah but Ireland and Bannan did play under mcleish :)

The good thing about Holman is that he tries to make things happen, he attacks aggressively. Whether that be closing down defenders, running at them or attempting long shots or difficult through passes. Doesn't always come off but he's brave enough to try and overall he's effective.

Must be worth £4-5m in the current market so has been a good signing from old ginger balls.

From the phone app. I had to calculate them myself, so they might be a bit out. I had Gabby 75% Holman 75% and Weimann 71%, (all play the same role). However I think, as a poster said before though, he does always look for the killer pass so his % might be a bit lower and give a false impression if indeed my calculations are wrong.

So you made them up? And funnily enough you're now comparing him with gabby and Weimann whereas I'm sure previously we were comparing him with the rest of the midfield.

I think I'll trust WhoScored, a well respected and professional website over you totting them up on your phone.

He has comfortably the worst pass completion percentage of our midfielders. In fact he has one of the worst in the whole team.

Also, "always looking for the killer pass" and not being successful in that pass, as the stats suggest, is absolutely, positively NOT a good thing.

(again, I'm not trying to be hard on Holman. I really like him, he's got an excellent shot on him and he works as hardas any player I've seen at Villa. He's an asset to the team)

So you made them up? And funnily enough you're now comparing him with gabby and Weimann whereas I'm sure previously we were comparing him with the rest of the midfield.

I think I'll trust WhoScored, a well respected and professional website over you totting them up on your phone.

He has comfortably the worst pass completion percentage of our midfielders. In fact he has one of the worst in the whole team.

Also, "always looking for the killer pass" and not being successful in that pass, as the stats suggest, is absolutely, positively NOT a good thing.

(again, I'm not trying to be hard on Holman. I really like him, he's got an excellent shot on him and he works as hardas any player I've seen at Villa. He's an asset to the team)

Made them up? Are you not reading my posts? Do you know what collate means?

I was originally comparing Holman to Ireland. He has been all Ireland was billed as but failed as. Adventurous, attacking, good technique, long shots etc. I collated his passing stats from individual matches (I might be wrong) to be equal to Gabby and better than Weimann. I think it's fair to compare his passing stats to the other players in his position. However it's only one small aspect of the argument and the higher up the pitch you go, and the more adventurous your passing is, the lower your % will be anyway.

The crutch of my argument centred on the fact that I think people are underestimating Holman as a player without great technical merit. I think with each passing (no pun intended) game he is showing that he is a player with great technique and awareness and not just a hard worker.

I hope Holman keeps on playing well, knocking in thunderbolts and continues to make the people who've tried to box him as just a 'hard worker' feel a bit silly.

However you arrived at your stats they were wrong and seeing as you were basing your argument on them your point is seriously weakened.

You have now changed your argument in order to try and avoid admitting you were wrong. You started by comparing Holman to the rest of the midfield with the stats you have created, however you got them, in order to show him in a favourable light to rest of the midfield. They were shown to be incorrect, inaccurate or just plain wrong.

Now you are trying to switch the comparison from the midfield because he actually has the worst pass stats, to compare him with the strikers for some reason. The only reason I can think being that it suits the stance you have taken. Only its a false comparison because forwards are always likely to have lower pass stats than midfielders or at least you would expect them to.

I still don't agree with you that he is great technically or has great awareness but he does work hard and he can hit a shot. So no I don't feel silly, I'm not the one basing my opinion of flawed stats I can't show when asked and that appear to be totally wrong.

The thing is, you previously based your entire argument around his passing ability and cited his pass completion as the stat that proved it.

We;ve shown that stat is basically bollocks.

"Collated", fine you collated them. But they were wrong so it doesn't really matter.

Holman's a good player, adds value to the squad and deserve shis place in the matchday squad.

His shooting technique is excellent, but I feel he lacks in other technical areas but makes up for it with his energy and determination.

. However it's only one small aspect of the argument and the higher up the pitch you go, and the more adventurous your passing is, the lower your % will be anyway.

But his passing percentage is still significantly lower than anyone else who plays that far up the pitch for us. So again, your argument is pointless. And I reiterate, always looking for killer passes and not making them is not a good thing at all.

Well no-one argued with his technique in shooting.

Then when someone (DDID I thinK) said he thought Holman lacked Passing technique, i.e when someone diagreed with you, you said:

so you think Holman can't pass very well? His passing accuracy stats indicate a different story.

Which is when I posted the actual stats which proved that that sentence is totally false.

So yes, considering no-one disagreed with you about his shooting technique, and the only other technique that was mentioned in disagreement with your post was passing technique, I would say your entire argument was based on his passing, because that's what we were debating.

No my entire argument was about his general technical ability (to which passing is only one aspect) is underestimated. I found stats on his passing to show that his passing is actually quite good. The fact Fourfourtwo isn't on your approved list isn't my problem. But here's more stats from Fourfourtwo...

V Stoke

Most attacking third passes - Holman

Most chances created - Holman

Most take-ons - Holman

Â