Brett Holman

ozvillafan

His best position is in the hole behind the striker(s). He is not a winger nor a defensive midfielder and shouldn't be used as such.

He has an amazing engine, but his touch..... well, it's not great. I still think his feet are 2 steps in front of his brain most of the time.

He has had european experience, surely he should be considered for a starting place, or is Lambert counting on the young inexperienced players to get us out of the mess we are in ?

How do you know he isn't being considered for a starting place?

He has had european experience, surely he should be considered for a starting place, or is Lambert counting on the young inexperienced players to get us out of the mess we are in ?

Indeed he does - but he's not got Premier League experience nor been in this situation with a club side before. As mentioned earlier, N'Zogbia has both.

I know who I'd pick first.

Holman is very, very limited as a player. After a few matches I quickly realized why McLeish signed him, after all. He runs and checks, but that is about it and not enough to play in the Premier League. Perfect player to throw in when we are leading or trailing, and need to get something, but not a man we can rely on to dictate play. His touch is erratic and his general understanding of the game is not his best asset.

When he joined us i thought his biggest asset would be his workrate and ability to close down the opposition. Sadly that's not been the case as he seems to get caught out of position or runs around like a headless chicken.

Once Herd is fit i hope he takes his place on the bench as at least Herd gets in the face of the opposition whereas Holman adds nothing in my opinion.

??? It's the Dutch league. He's had as much european experience as KEA. He's gash mostly with the occasional moment of quality,

But he's been not very good in every single game he's played in except for one. He is not the answer. 

When he joined us i thought his biggest asset would be his workrate and ability to close down the opposition. Sadly that's not been the case as he seems to get caught out of position or runs around like a headless chicken.

that doesnt make sense

that doesnt make sense

It does in my head...

• Like 1

that doesnt make sense

It does in my head...

And mine

How this guy plays for our great football club I will never know

that doesnt make sense

It does in my head...

And mine

Probably because he came on a free and will be on around 15k a week...........

that doesnt make sense
It does in my head...
And mine

Probably because he came on a free and will be on around 15k a week...........

Championship player on championship wages

• 3 weeks later...

Socceroos star Brett Holman admits he doesn't know why he hasn't been able to get a game for Aston Villa in the Barclays Premier League.

Holman, back in Sydney for the Socceroos’ World Cup qualifier against Oman, is "happy and excited" with the change of scenery that a national team camp brings.

The fresh change in Sydney provides Holman with a break from Villa Park, where he has been disappointed with how things have turned out after Christmas.

"The first-half of the season was really good personally. It’s always a learning situation when you’re in a completely different competition and type of football to what I was used to in Holland," Holman told foxsports.com.au.

"I can’t say anything bad about it (then) – I was playing just about every game, except for one game.

"After Christmas, it’s hit a bit of a rocky road.

"But I’ve had my ups and downs throughout my career and this is another down, and I’ve been around for a little bit to know you’ve got to keep your head down and do the right things for yourself and you’ll always get your chance, be it here or somewhere else.

"Then with the Aussie squad, there’s always things to look forward to."

Holman's last start was on January 13, in a 1-0 loss to Southampton; his last appearance was as an 82nd minute substitute in a 3-3 draw with Everton on February 3.

What’s changed?

"You’d have to ask the coach," Holman said.

"Personally, I don’t think for me a lot. But I haven’t really spoken to him a lot.

"He’s gone for a different thing and different way. But I can’t give you an answer.

"I honestly don’t think I’ve done anything different after Christmas.

"It’s frustrating … something I have to deal with.

"Every player wants to play. When you’re training every day, training hard, it’s disappointing when you’re not playing."

How does Holman, such a key performer for the Socceroos over the past five years, cope when Paul Lambert continues to keep him out of the side?

"It’s disappointing. But if you start dwelling on it and you let it get to you, then it really affects you and puts you in a pattern where your football can go downhill a bit," Holman said.

"You can be disappointed – you have to be – but you just can’t let it affect you over a long period of time. You’ve just got to switch it off, get on with it, and keep working hard."

Many people expected Holman to suit England with his high energy style of play. But it’s taken some getting used to.

"It is different, especially when you’re coming from a team in Holland where you’re getting 70, 80 per cent possession sometimes, and now you’re struggling to get the ball sometimes.

"That was frustrating, because you were so used to a type of football and culture. But you have to adapt to that league.

"If you’re not a Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, where they’ve got a lot of the ball and players to play, it is difficult. (The start was) good, but now, frustrating."

Fox Sports’ Robbie Slater recently explained the intensity and fear that grips players, fans and clubs mired in a relegation battle. It’s not a new sensation for Villa fans after last season’s escape, but Holman, who moved to the Premier League from AZ Alkmar in Holland, is still coming to terms with the adventure.

"For me it is (a brand new experience)," he said.

"The majority of players there were involved in it last year as well. It’s tense. Especially in the last couple of games against teams at the bottom of the league (Villa pipped QPR 3-2 on the weekend), which have been must-win games.

"You are going to get hurt; thank god we’ve won our last couple of games. But compared to the other teams I’ve played with where you’re winning more than losing, it’s a different atmosphere. "

But the Socceroos presents a whole new challenge and a chance for Holman to get back on the pitch.

"When you’re working day in, day out with your club, it spices things up. It’s fresh, a new change, catch up with a few guys," Holman said.

"Either way, I don’t think if you saw me here in the last couple of days or at Villa last week, I don’t think you’d see a difference.

"I’m raring to go here because I’m fighting for my spot too. You’d be stupid not to think there are places up for grabs in this team, especially while you’re not playing."

South Africa in 2010 was Holman’s breakthrough moment – capped by that spine-tingling goal against Serbia in Nelspruit.

The Socceroos’ destiny is well and truly in their own hands – but a slip-up will be costly in a tight group vying for second spot behind Japan.

Does he dare to dream about strutting on the world stage once again?

"You’d be crazy not to. With the squad we’ve got … you have to dream big and the goals are the same for every player who has been involved: to go to Brazil.

"I’m definitely having some good dreams."  

Link

To be fair to Holman, that story is just a matter of a journo asking why he hasn't been playing and he has put out pretty generic responses. After this season though, I'd assume Holman moves on because he is one of Australia's bigger players and will want to be playing matches. 

Â