Euro 2012: Quarter finals

The_Rev

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I've always thought. Why don't players just practise hitting the ball hard into the top corner? Once you've mastered that, you can just step up and do it in a match. You wpn't have to worry about the keeper guessing where you're going to put it, because he won't be able to save it even if he does.

I seem to remember Shearer doing that with penalties for England in 1996. Is it harder than you might think even for top professionals?

ronaldinho when at barcelona used to put all his penalties to the keepers top right corner with pace. a few might go wide but normally was usually unstoppable

That's what my point was. It would take *some* of the pressure off the player if you told him where to put it before hand.

Surely its not just the 'will it get past the keeper? will the crowd shut up?' etc etc, but then on top of that you have a mental battle with yourself to decide where to put it. If I told you to go keepers right, would it take a little bit of pressure away?

i agree that a player should be able to practice and practice and practice and be able to hit unsavable penalties

but like roy said yesterday you can practice everything apart from the walk, i bet some players change their mind 3/4 times, pirlo said as much yesterday he decided to do what he did after watching hart on the 2 penalties

i also agree that it pretty much destroyed us, we went from scoring the 1st 2 and hart diving the right way for the 1st 2 to not scoring and hart going the wrong way

I think that depends entirely on the personality of the individual. You might find it pisses more people off than it benefits. A player might be fine with it in training then feel completely different when he has the ball on the spot and is facing the keeper, and as there is no way of recreating that outside of the shootout itself you probably just have to trust people. Somebody is going to miss in every shootout though, if that wasnt the case then the first ever penalty shootout (1970, Hull vs Manchester United I am reliably informed) would still be going on. Assuming they didnt abandon the game following the death of George Best of course.

On Lapal's point, isn't that sort of what they did? I'm sure I read somewhere that they had took hundreds of the exact same penalties and they all knew where exactly they were going. Young was inches away from perfection, a penalty he's probably scored in training 95% of time but given the pressure and tiredness he got it just ever so slightly wrong. Young's penalty to me seemed definitely one of confidence of knowing where he was going before hand and what he wanted to do. =Cole tried to take exact same penalty as CL final and simply it wasn't as accurate. How do you explain not being as good at penalties?

Â