Euro 2012: Quarter finals

The_Rev

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cole is usually a good penalty taker. He's scored both times in the Chelsea champions league final shoot outs and also for England in the Portugal 2004 penalties. Just Buffon psyched him out on this occasion.

I think it was the Pirlo penalty psyched England out, Young look petrified and Cole is usually solid penalty taker like you said

Yeah that's true Zat. Pirlo chipping it majestically would've certainly put a bit of doubt back in the England players and so it proved.

A clip on the news earlier showed Pirlo doing that type of penalty years ago and it being saved as the goalkeeper stood still. Took bottle to do it again and I reckon their research indicated Hart always dives.

Most keepers always dive to be honest.

In fact, if we had a keeper who didn't guess a direction and dive every time, I'd be annoyed because they'd never save any penalties.

Cole is usually a good penalty taker. He's scored both times in the Chelsea champions league final shoot outs and also for England in the Portugal 2004 penalties. Just Buffon psyched him out on this occasion.

I think it was the Pirlo penalty psyched England out, Young look petrified and Cole is usually solid penalty taker like you said

Yeah that's true Zat. Pirlo chipping it majestically would've certainly put a bit of doubt back in the England players and so it proved.

Yep, and Young missing meant we were doomed from there on, even though we were still level.

I think we all, players included, simultaneously thought "Here we go" when Young hit the bar.

Most keepers always dive to be honest.

In fact, if we had a keeper who didn't guess a direction and dive every time, I'd be annoyed because they'd never save any penalties.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that, statistically speaking, keepers would save more if they always stood in the centre compared to if they always dived.

Of course that leaves out the psychological factor, where players would deliberately pass it into the corners against a keeper who had a rep for standing stock still.

Exactly. PLayers put it down the middle becuase they know keepers always dive.

But if keepers never dived, then they'd just stick it in the corner.

You have to dive as a keeper, and if you wait until the player shooting has kicked the ball, you simply don't have time to react (unless they kick it very slowly)

You have to guess.

One of Australia's keepers, Željko Kalac, would often wait till the kick before diving. Obviously he wouldn't save many shots with power into the sides but he would save a lot of kicks down the middle plus a lot where players tried to place it.

I think I remember Guzan having a similar style on penalties.

:lol:

I was talking to my mate the other day about penalty strategies and I reckon if the manager told each player where they would put it before they took the penalty, it would take a lot of the pressure off the player and the stress they are under when trying to guess what the keeper is going to do.

This also means the player could practice that specific penalty, because lets face it, an international player in any position should have the skill to place a ball with power into any part of the net. It also means the player knows what he's going to do before he takes it, he can't change his mind and think 'will I, won't I?'.

I just think it would take much of the decision making pressure away from the situation, which I believe is the main stress of taking a penalty.

And at the end of the day, if they miss, they just followed an order and it takes the blame from them.

Just something to think about! :)

I was talking to my mate the other day about penalty strategies and I reckon if the manager told each player where they would put it before they took the penalty, it would take a lot of the pressure off the player and the stress they are under when trying to guess what the keeper is going to do.

if it was a McLeish team players would just take sideways penalties :P

Dont play FIFA chief ;)

Was only joking matey ;)

Passing it into the top corner is obviously the best way. Pretty hard to do though, especially under pressure.

Interesting idea, Lapal.

lets face it, an international player in any position should have the skill to place a ball with power into any part of the net.

That's what I've always thought. Why don't players just practise hitting the ball hard into the top corner? Once you've mastered that, you can just step up and do it in a match. You wpn't have to worry about the keeper guessing where you're going to put it, because he won't be able to save it even if he does.

I seem to remember Shearer doing that with penalties for England in 1996. Is it harder than you might think even for top professionals?

lets face it, an international player in any position should have the skill to place a ball with power into any part of the net.

That's what I've always thought. Why don't players just practise hitting the ball hard into the top corner? Once you've mastered that, you can just step up and do it in a match. You wpn't have to worry about the keeper guessing where you're going to put it, because he won't be able to save it even if he does.

I seem to remember Shearer doing that with penalties for England in 1996. Is it harder than you might think even for top professionals?

It's not easy, but as with most things it's definiately something which professionals should be able to do.

Keepers tend to take good penalties because they practice kicking into nets. I'm sure Joe Harts taken a few mean penos for the U21's.

Gareth BArry used to say he used to know before he put the ball on the spot where he was going to go. The one time he changed his mind whilst during the run up to take a penalty is the one he missed against Reading some years back in a league game. He hit it with the outside of his left boot if I recall correctly and skied it.

As I say, take the choice away, I think the convertion rate would go up.

Â