Euro 2012: Quarter finals

The_Rev

Being Irish & the fact there are no current Villa players in the squad, in my opinion makes me a reasonable neutral on this, but for me personally several players in that squad are not good enough. Firstly, Danny Wellbeck, dont care what all my glory hunting United fan mates say, he's not an International standard striker. The man scored 9 goals in 30 games at United last year, I think a few on VT could even muster up that tally had we been playing with them. Carroll has been no where near deadly for Liverpool, Defoe only played 25 times for Spurs in the league last year, allbeit scoring 11 times but none of these 3 are International standard strikers. Milner as we all know isnt the same player on the wing as he is in the middle, another man who hasnt had as much game time as he would like, I feel Adam Johnson was a loss but he should have known moving to City might cost him his place in the national team, but I dont think he'll be too upset today when he looks at his bank balance or premier league winners medal. Young has been poor for United since September, the only thing of note he did recently was dive and get pens versus ourselves and QPR. Downing had another nightmare this season. The Ox is only a kid, how many games has he played in the Premiership? Gerrard is no longer the world class player he was a few years back either and England have no player who can do what Pirlo or Xavi does, nor do they have a David Silva, Mata, Modric type player. In my opinion a lot of the players need to be overhauled, Lampard & Gerrard I'd say bye to, no one could question how talented they are but SG will be 34 in two years time.

Did you watch the England games?

Wellbeck and Carroll were both very impressive this tournament. Wellbeck not so much vs Italy, but for the rest of it he did well.

Carroll has gone up massively in my estimations. He's been excellent, even if it was doing a job that isn't particularly attractive.

Milner again may not have done anything attractive, but he put in some excellent performances becauise of his workrate. He's allowed Johnson to push forward because he's so good at covering.

No arguments about Young, he was poor.

Downing barely played.

Lampard didn't play.

Gerrard was one of the players of the tournament, albeit again didn't really show it vs Italy

Not saying England are "good enough" (good enough for what?). But you appear to have based your opinions on club form last season. Nearly all of the players you mentioned actually did pretty well at the Euros

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Beckham, Gerrard, Owen, Lampard... I couldn't name one English player coming through that I think will go on to rival the quality of ANY of these players.

Wilshire and Oxlade Chamberlain have potential also Ethan Moore

The truth is, France and Sweden deserved to beat us and Ukraine were unlucky to lose. Why are we so scared when we have the ball? ten yard passes were constantly misplaced,

was same with Ireland. they would make 3 passes maximum and then launch a hopeless ball back to the opposition. would normally be frustrating to watch but as a Villa fan you get used to it :(

Being Irish & the fact there are no current Villa players in the squad, in my opinion makes me a reasonable neutral on this, but for me personally several players in that squad are not good enough. Firstly, Danny Wellbeck, dont care what all my glory hunting United fan mates say, he's not an International standard striker. The man scored 9 goals in 30 games at United last year, I think a few on VT could even muster up that tally had we been playing with them. Carroll has been no where near deadly for Liverpool, Defoe only played 25 times for Spurs in the league last year, allbeit scoring 11 times but none of these 3 are International standard strikers. Milner as we all know isnt the same player on the wing as he is in the middle, another man who hasnt had as much game time as he would like, I feel Adam Johnson was a loss but he should have known moving to City might cost him his place in the national team, but I dont think he'll be too upset today when he looks at his bank balance or premier league winners medal. Young has been poor for United since September, the only thing of note he did recently was dive and get pens versus ourselves and QPR. Downing had another nightmare this season. The Ox is only a kid, how many games has he played in the Premiership? Gerrard is no longer the world class player he was a few years back either and England have no player who can do what Pirlo or Xavi does, nor do they have a David Silva, Mata, Modric type player. In my opinion a lot of the players need to be overhauled, Lampard & Gerrard I'd say bye to, no one could question how talented they are but SG will be 34 in two years time.

Did you watch the England games?

Wellbeck and Carroll were both very impressive this tournament. Wellbeck not so much vs Italy, but for the rest of it he did well.

Carroll has gone up massively in my estimations. He's been excellent, even if it was doing a job that isn't particularly attractive.

Milner again may not have done anything attractive, but he put in some excellent performances becauise of his workrate. He's allowed Johnson to push forward because he's so good at covering.

No arguments about Young, he was poor.

Downing barely played.

Lampard didn't play.

Gerrard was one of the players of the tournament, albeit again didn't really show it vs Italy

Not saying England are "good enough" (good enough for what?). But you appear to have based your opinions on club form last season. Nearly all of the players you mentioned actually did pretty well at the Euros

I watched all their games bar the Sweden one. With regard the strikers, Im merely stating, that I would not want Wellbeck at Villa, England have for far too long in my view had strikers who are not goal scorers in the team and by goalscorers I mean prolific. Heskey, Vassell, Crouch. The players that were called up in the non too distant past inclued Zamora, Cambell and remember when Jay Boothroyd got a call up? I mean come on like, remember when there was a time Andy Cole wasnt good enough to start for England, eventhough himself and Yorke were cutting wreck at United. With regard Carroll, he put in a shift and is amazing in the air but he doesnt score enough, simple as for a player as dominant as he is in the air he should be scoring a goal every other game from set pieces but he doesnt.

With regard Milner, we all know what he is capable of, but for me he is not a wide player, due to the fact he is a poor crosser of a ball, his hustle and bustle is better applied when he's in the middle when he has space to run into allowing him to pick a pass or create enough space for a shot. For me personally Id rather my right winger was able to get into the area, swing in a cross and strike fear into his opposing full back, not let his own full back get forward.

My point about Downing was that Young and Milner were not creating anything and his options on the bench were Downing who created nothing at Liverpool last year, the Ox, who is a kid allbeit a very talented one and Theo who just gets the ball and runs. Who was playing on the wings when Young & Downing couldnt get in the team I honestly cant recall? SWP?

Gerrard was brilliant and was very good in the group stages but the man is what 32, he's not the same player he was a few years back and his performances were of such a high quality due to the heart the man has and his will to succeed.

Good enough to perform in the latter stages of an international competition. I think they were lucky to get out of the group stages to be honest, they got a big slice of luck with that Ukraine goal. From what I hear Sweden can count themselves unlucky as well.

Overall Roy did a good job but he took the wrong players off last night.

Agree, Rooney and Ash should have got the hook, saying that, i think Walcott is a dreadfully limited player, even with the few touches he had, he didn't know how to hurt the italians,

Thought England played quite well in the middle part of the first half and could have nicked a goal or two.

However after 5 minutes into the second half they were treading water and just didn't have the energy to be an attacking threat in the last third of the Italian half. When you have to continually chase the ball when needlessly giving the ball away it always saps the energy.

Rooney was awful and yet again hasn't performed on the big stage. An excellent player in our Premiership, but world class, no. Gerrard had a good tournament but is he world class, no. John Terry was England's player of the tournament but he is not world class. Young yet again showed what i always believed him to be, a one trick limited pony who looked totally out of his depth against a good team with excellent defenders.

The one bright spark of the tournament for England was Welbeck who looked technically proficient on the ball.

England don't have any world class players and when you don't have those, winning a tournament is near impossible. Grit and determination will only get you so far and thats why until another Gazza, comes along England will always be a quarter final tournament team at best.

It was like watching Villa last year, 11 men behind the ball.. Terrible performance.
Yep, only difference is England can actually defend. It was basically like watching us under MON.

Only difference we scored a lot of goals under MON lol.

We were quite an exciting team to watch under MON. Roy Hodgson teams are very boring to watch, and playing for pens with an england team is never going to work...

It was like watching Villa last year, 11 men behind the ball.. Terrible performance.
Yep, only difference is England can actually defend. It was basically like watching us under MON.

We were quite an exciting team to watch under MON. Roy Hodgson teams are very boring to watch, and playing for pens with an england team is never going to work...

Yes but often when coming up against superior teams we'd just defend defend defend and try to hit on the counter.

Yes but often when coming up against superior teams we'd just defend defend defend and try to hit on the counter.

Yeah true...

Rooney was awful and yet again hasn't performed on the big stage. An excellent player in our Premiership, but world class, no.

Definately this.

Englads best 2 games were V France and Sweden when Rooney wasn't in the team. I think he actually unbalances the team and Rooney also stifles Gerrard going forward.

I think Hodgson's big mistake was ruining the competitive spirit in the squad when he brought Rooney straight back in against Ukraine. Both Carroll and Welbeck had scored in the previous game then he dropped Carroll the next game. It basically said to the squad that it doesn't matter how you perform, the big names will still get picked ahead of you.

I think Hart is our only 'World Class' player.

Bringing on Henderson was a bit of a slap in the face for anyone who took time out to watch the game

You're right, we should have brought on Cattermole.

Should have thrown Milner into the middle and Walcott out the right.

Bringing on Henderson was a bit of a slap in the face for anyone who took time out to watch the game

You're right, we should have brought on Cattermole.

Should have thrown Milner into the middle and Walcott out the right.

:lol:

I agree actually. Just thought I'd throw in a superfluous comment for the lulz :D

Â