The Last Of Us

Swerbs

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2016 at 00:08, villa4europe said:

It's still the best story in any game ever IMO gameplay probably only gets a 7/10 but the story drags it through

Oh Wow. Better than:

Bioshock Infinite?  

GTA 4 / San Andreas / 5?

Uncharted 2?

Tomb Raider (remake)?

Max Payne?

Red Dead Redemption?

I've just started playing and it was a good opening sequence story. 

bioshock, yes for me personally, the world its set in is amazing but the central story was just ok IMO

GTA definitely

Uncharted yes, drake is a great character and its a better game overall but the story isnt as strong

tomb raider i havent played

max payne was really good from what i can remember but this is better and aided by being prettier and more cinematic (obviously)

red dead, yes, same as GTA, the open worldness of the game is its core, but at the same time it leads to a disjointed and sporadic main story arc, i also personally dont like the last couple of hours of RDR

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Oh Wow. Better than:

Bioshock Infinite?  

GTA 4 / San Andreas / 5?

Uncharted 2?

Tomb Raider (remake)?

Max Payne?

Red Dead Redemption?

I've just started playing and it was a good opening sequence story. 

it's up there. Definitely better than GTA stories, which I actually think is usually the weak point of GTA games, V especially (I thought IV had the strongest story of any GTA game)

For me, generally speaking as a casual gamer it is one of if not the most rewarding game I have ever played.

I usually play a game for a couple of days, get bored, skip cut scenes, cut corners. " Bored now, rIght let's get through this shit, **** it can't be arsed." It then collects dust on the shelf never to be touched again.

Last of Us, I played non stop until I completed it. I couldn't wait to finish work so I could play it. I watched every scene, I collected every note i could find. I bought into the characters, I smiled, I laughed, I cried. I felt genuine affection for a character of that I have never experienced.

Oh man what a rollercoaster.

Gameplay 6/10

i think the disappointing thing for me was the same thing that bugs me about uncharted, it gives you the impression of this big open world that you can go off on tangents and explore but in reality there is very little reward for that exploration, bar maybe a bit of ammo or a note / treasure, its a linear game masquerading as open world, i think the stuff like the map in the snow storm means that TLoU has more ways to skin a cat but that isnt always the case

hoping with the PS4 its something they look to push further

the DLC that came with the PS4 version is good too

My biggest gripe, and I've mentioned it in this thread, was you felt too safe in the game.

You went into an area you hadn't explored before, and once you'd cleared out the enemies (and that bit could be scary and tense) you knew you could walk around and scavenge completely freely. There was never any enemies that would turn up in areas you'd already explored, that I can think of.

It meant that once you got through the initial tenseness, you got this period of relaxation where you knew you were safe. Whereas in that situation in "reality", the fear of a zombie walking around the corner would always be there.

• Like 1

Best story in a game? Probably thread worthy on it's own, but I'd go Xenogears, MGS3, Spec Ops: The Line. Doesn't Silent Hill 2 usually top the list though? Never played it. 

Â