Euro 2012: Group D (Eng, Fra, Ukr, Swe)

TrentVilla

England defended pretty well. Looked quite solid at the back to be fair. Defended far too deep at times though! I thought Welbeck played good. Always willing to run and cause problems.

Fair play to Shevchenko. I still expect France and England to go through though. Mellberg had a decent game, apart from Shevchenko's first.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good result for England. Realistically France should be Sweden leaving Sweden with only pride to play for in the last match.

Not if you look at the fixture list.

Fri 15/06/12

Ukraine - France

Sweden - England

Tue 19/06/12

Sweden - France

England - Ukraine

I'll be interested to see how the English recover from this match, because they looked shattered after 60 minutes.

England always wilt in the heat. It always makes me smile when English folk ask whether some fancy dan foreigner can do the business "on a wet winters night in Stoke*" when our guys are famously incapable of looking good when its hotter than 30°C. Unsuitable weather works both ways.

*or somewhere equally unglamourous, preferably more than 100 miles north of London.

Happy with that tbf. Im not now thinking were going to go and win the whole thing but my confidence level of whether we can hold our own at this level has increased.

I think before the match, France were overhyped and England were underhyped.

Decent start, good platform to build on.

Welbeck superb. He'll rightfully start the next game IMO, and hopefully will start up front when Shrek is back, with shrek playing the Asher role, and Asher back on the flank.

Gerrard England's MOTM for me.

Welbeck superb - really coming along and maturing well.

Other players all played well IMO.

Parker looked a little weak/tired/not up to it.

France look to have a very good team, and will be in contention to win the tournament.

Gerrard England's MOTM for me.

Parker looked a little weak/tired/not up to it.

Really Jon? thats interesting...

i thought Parker was superb, full of energy up to the 80minute mark and broke play up superbly....

and apart from the superb cross for lescott i was a little disappointed in Gerrards influence on the game...

funny how people can see things differently

I don't "get" Wellbeck. I really just don't rate him as a footballer.

Was shocked Defoe came on, he's a player I absolutely can't stand. Can't believe he's even going to the tournament. I'd have liked Carroll to come on instead of Defoe. We were struggling to hold the ball up and get others in play, Defoe did nothing to help that.

I don't "get" Wellbeck. I really just don't rate him as a footballer.

Im in this camp too Pieboy. Never seen nothing to make me think he is nothing more than average to half decent.

Yeah I think he's a bit marmite. Thing is, he occasionally does something pretty decent (the goal against Belgium for example), but he just doesn't seem like an out and out striker in the same way Carroll does. I don't know, there's just something about him that makes me think he really isn't good enough to be playing for England or Man UTD. But he is so... what do I know? :lol:

I thought england were very poor. The only reason they didn`t lose is because france didn`t step it up a gear. I suppose thats to englands credit, they brought the pace and quality of the game down to a level were they could handle it.

I don`t think they will beat sweden or ukraine, It was a mcleish esc performance.

It was indeed a Mcleish-like performance, but I have no problem with this as long as they come out of their shells against Ukraine and Sweden.

Had we tried to play football I think France would have beaten us easily.

Horses for courses my friend.

I don't rate Wellbeck but I thought he did well yesterday - always seemed to make the ball stick when it was played to him, didn't waste many passes and put himself about well.

Thought we did well defensively, although this meant Gerrard played far far too deep to be effective going forward.

Am I the only one who worries about Johnson defensively? Still can't understand Richards being overlooked for this role.

Maybe so shillzz, but i can only say what i see. The trouble is with the mcleish attitude is it is so easy to fall back on and never come out of your shell.

I think the england players are in a hodgson comfort zone and they like it, no pressure no expectation.

I thought Wellbeck did well considering his natural ability as a footballer. I still don't think he poses a significant threat as a striker though. Young was fairly anonymous throughout the game and would actually like to see him replaced by Carrol for the next game.

Â