Euro 2012: Group C (Spn, Ita, Irl, Cro)

TrentVilla

I'm unsure about the criticism of Spains defence. They 1-O'd their way to a WC win. So they can grind it out with the best. I'm certainly not their biggest fan, frankly they are dull most of the time, but they are a good team.

I usually find teams can be judged better when they know where they stand. We'll see what Holland are made of etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing France tomorow.

Fair points. Except the Spanish defence thing. This is not the same defence, I think Ramos is a poor centre half for one. I must admit to not knowing much about their other options there.

I though Holland looked very good despite the loss. Just wasn't their day. I guess that's what we love about these tournaments eh?

I'm actually genuinely looking forward to tomorrow. Come on you lions....

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely Irish accent St. Ledger has.

haven't heard it but it should be Brummy - he went to the same school as my 3 kids on Chelmsley Wood

We didnt deserve anything today and Croatia deserved to win by more. Worrying part for me was the goals were all quite simple for Croatia. Think Given isnt fit and Stephen Ward should not be near an Ireland squad. Ian Harte or even Denis Irwin could still do a better job

Ward has been awful

Looks like a parks player

Indeed. No wonder Wolves got relegated if he was playing like this every week.

he was their captain at end of season, useless player and he was a right winger 3 or 4 years ago and now he is a left back FFS.

Ireland are massively overrated on here.

we have 3 unemployed players, a few players from Wolves and a lot of Championship players. overrated is a strange word to describe Ireland

I think the overrated label applies after what people were saying after the draw. I looked at 2 pages after the draw and this is what was put:

Decent draw for Ireland considering our recent record against the Italians, Croatia are good but beatable and the Spanish are the Spanish. It'll be tough to get out of the group but i fancy us to sneak second place.

I think Eire can get 2nd, they can go into this with no pressure

We also perform better against bigger teams so wouldnt be surprised if we pick up 4 points

Not sure why people felt that way. As soon as the draw was made, any point gained would be a massively successful tournement for Ireland.

Ireland are a very ordinary team no one is doubting that and while they were outclassed last night the manner of the result flatters Croatia. They owned the ball in midfield yet apart from two slices of luck for two of the goals rarely created any clear cut opportunities inside the box. If the penalty had been given would have been a different game.

Don't get me wrong it's obvious they were better but a lot of knee jerk reactions here. Their defense was very shakey especially Corluka at centre back who gave away stupid foul after foul. They also looked very weak under crosses. Keith Andrews in particular had 2-3 great chances near the end but unfortunately suffered the liabity of being total shit.

In reality out tournament is over and all we have to look forward to is maybe snatching a draw from one of the two remaining games.

we have 3 unemployed players, a few players from Wolves and a lot of Championship players. overrated is a strange word to describe Ireland

Just because Ireland aren't very good doesn't mean they can't be overrated.

Ireland should of had a penalty. It was so blatant. Not impressed with the refereeing so far. Greece and Denmark games had poor refereing too.

Some Ireland fans want Keane out the team :shock: No one on the Ireland bench is as good as Keane. I think perhaps Doyle should be dropped for Long and Ward should also be dropped.

Just because Ireland aren't very good doesn't mean they can't be overrated.

Indeed. Irish people are very quick at calling out the English whenever we get behind our team. I can see why English people might want to return the favour from time to time. Personally I couldnt give a ****.

We're definitely an outsider. Of course. But we're cautiously optimistic that we're a dangerous opponent. We could easily end up with zero points. We know that. But everyone knows Italy are renowned for fannying around in the group stages. If we can get a result against Croatia and then Italy do their usual, there's a chance.
Well it looks like "we could easily end up with zero points". We did deserve to lose, but it would've been nice to be given a fairer crack of the whip by our Dutch friend in black. Ho hum. I can't wait for these decisions to "even themselves out" because we seem to be like the Wigan Athletic of the international game these past few years when it comes to officiating.

As for the game. Given for the first goal. Oh dear. Ward tried the whole night to be a 3rd centre back, giving his winger too much space and giving McGeady too much to do defensively. Whelan was rubbish and so was Doyle. The decision to bring Cox on to play on the wing instead of McClean was baffling. I was surprised at the ease in which we were outplayed. Croatia were very well organised and obviously we knew they were technically much superior. Even the failed-at-Spurs keeper looked decent for them.

I can't see them getting much from the other 2 in the group and I'd expect Italy and Spain to saunter into the knockouts now. We certainly won't get anything from either of those 2 and they both looked a few levels above Croatia too. Because let's face it, if you call a spade a spade, as good as Croatia were and as poor as we were, they beat us with an offside goal and a denied penalty. So if I was Croatia I'd enjoy being top of the group for the next few days. We just need to be happy now that we got to the finals. Our next group games will be interesting to say the least. Will Trap let them off the leash just for shits 'n giggles or will he stick to the tried and trusted. I think it'll be the latter.

The goal wasnt offside though BOF. Jelavic scored from a shanked Stephen Ward clearance. Ireland should have definitely had a penalty, how the referee missed that is beyond me, but there was nothing wrong with the Croatia goals.

When the initial shot (phase 1) was taken, he was offside (but not interfering at that point). At no point in the subsequent phase was he ever back onside. Therefore at the point where he became active, he was off.

Â