Shay Given vs Brad Friedel

GasGasGas

• 3 months later...

Couldn't find a Shay Given thread, If anyone watched the Lambert post match interview on AVTV, there was a telling slip up by him, saying 'was' (is) a world class goalkeeper.

Yeh I noticed that.

Shay Given last night was like Jekll and Hyde, some very dodgy moments, shat myself every time he had the ball at his feet and then he pulled off a couple of wonder saves, the save from Holts header was immense. There is still a great keeper in there in parts but he has to be number 2 at the moment, Brad every time for me.

I was 'given' Given some stick yesterday (I've also done that pun about three times now, to my shame) and I think it showcases how obvious it is when a Goalkeeper is with or without confidence.

But, to be fair, he made at least three fantastic saves against Norwich, despite having a poor game overall, especially at the beginning. Which shows he's still a very good keeper.

• 1 month later...

I'd give Given a chance.  Maybe he could organise the defense better at set pieces or stop the odd shot or two.  Think one of Evertons goals could have been saved at weekend.  Not saying Guzan is bad but maybe time to take him out fo the firing line for a period. 

Guzan is the only player on the pitch who seems interested in organising anything imho. They are both good shot stoppers but Guzan offers us alot more than I've ever seen in a Villa shirt from Given. I'd like to see him giving it to the defenders a la schmeichel in his heyday a bit more but Guzan's been a real bright spot in a dark dark season for me.

and while it's the midfield and defence that need to sort themselves out, Given has hardly inspired when given a go (see what I did there!).

Good saves at Norwich aside he's kept no clean sheets when he's played, let in 3 goals in 2 LC games against premier league opposition, let in 6 goals in 3 LC games against Swindon and Bradford respectively and 3 goals in 2 FA cup games against championship opposition. He's also conceded 4 goals in 2 prem league appearances. All this adds up to conceding 1.78 goals a game this year. 

Even with the 8-0 Chelsea, 5-0 Man City and 4-0 Tottenham results marking his card Guzan is currently letting in 1.87 goals a game. He's also played in all 6 clean sheets we've kept this season. 

He needs to drop the left back.

Given was one of the best keepers in premiership for years and you don't loose that over night. I'd give him a go, look at Cesar at QPR and some of his shot stopping past few games. Single handily picked up them some points. I can't think of too many crazy saves Guzan has made past few games. Not saying he is bad just give him a break

To all these people saying we should put Given back in, I presume you didn't watch our recent games in the cups? It's not even like Guzan's been poor either. in fact he's been very good. It's the shit defence in front of him that's the problem.

Edited by Mantis

Discounting the fact that we let Friedel go for free and picked up Given for 3m or so was it, who is the better keeper in your opinion based on ability alone?

So did we actually improve in the goalkeeping department in this season in terms of the personnel? Although factoring in the price could mean a different story altogether.

Don't want to piss anyone off but how is this even a debate Brad any day of the week over Given.

Brad has been our best keeper of the last 25 years I have followed Villa

To all these people saying we should put Given back in, I presume you didn't watch our recent games in the cups? It's not even like Guzan's been poor either. in fact he's been very good. It's the shit defence in front of him that's the problem.

I haven't remembered Guzman making any spectacular saves recently bar against Chelsea so don't know were this very good has come from. He has been acceptable.

And IMO its mainly the 2 CMs why we are conceeding all the goals. We conceed so many corners/set pieces resulting from defense been under so much pressure. Has anyone done a corners conceded per game ratio compared to any other prem team. Be interesting to see. You conceed enough per game ones bound to go in.

Â