Shay Given vs Brad Friedel

GasGasGas

Bit dumb getting shot of Brad really and then shelling out massive wages on a more injury prone keeper

Both top top pros though IMHO

Friedel wanted a 2 year contract, we only were willing to offer a 1 year contract, sensible from the club really.

How was it sensible? If Brad (who is a better keeper than Given in my opinion) plays 40 games for Spurs next year, will it still be sensible?

That's a big if and as I rate a 36 year old Given as slightly better than a 36 year old Friedel, I certainly think a 36 year old Given is better than a 41 year old Friedel. In the next couple of years this will be more and more apparent.

Knowing their ages, what's the best keeper deal for us? It's a Given! :winkold:

Friedel for me every time. Not that impressed with Given in all honesty. Although he did make some great saves that got us some valuable points towards the end of last season, I'll give him that.

Tough one but I think I would take Friedel.

Can't we make this a poll?

Besides the irrelevance, I don't see how many could pick a 41 year old Friedel over Given who is 36. Many spuds fans have commented about Brad's diminishing abilities late in their last season and moving forward as he ages towards his mid-40's.

5 years ago, Brad may or may not have been as good as Given is now. Other than trivia, I'm unsure of the importance of that issue. Of more importance is that whilst they are both very good keepers, we should appreciate that not only is our keeper roughly as good (I think slightly better in a vital save sense), he is 5 years younger. 8)

In terms of actual ability, I'd go for Friedel. That said, I want a keeper who comes off his line to collect the ball at corners. It seems to be against the norm these days to have a keeper who does this.

Both pretty similar to me.

Great shot stoppers, Brad is probably a better kicker as a lot of Given's goal kicks barely reach the halfway line. Neither great at all coming off their line. I remember a few goals Friedel cost us in his last season, Bolton away when we lost 3-2 and he stayed rooted on his line for all 3 goals.

Probably one thing Brad has is his durability, hasn't missed a match for years and years whereas you know Given will get injured at some point next season so let's hope the new number 2 is up for scratch.

In terms of actual ability, I'd go for Friedel. That said, I want a keeper who comes off his line to collect the ball at corners. It seems to be against the norm these days to have a keeper who does this.

Yeah far and away the best we've had at this in the last 15 years was David James.

Sadly he'd do it too often and it would cost us particularly in the cup final.

In terms of shot stopping I would say Given doesn't look particularly good at diving to me and makes most of his saves by his positioning and reactions rather than throwing himself at the ball. Look at the number of times he saves with his face or an instant swipe of the arm and you'll see the point. Meaning you'll rarely see Given make a flying save; if you fire past the reach of his extremities he won't be saving it, but anything that's within his reach isn't likely to get past him.

Friedel has the better diving / flying save ability and so so consistent that you see less of a spectacularly quick or sudden save from him. Has the added advantage of never even missing a game unless you used another keeper, such is his consistency.

If ever a thread needed a poll..

For me Friedels main worry was parrying shots back into the danger zone, one of the first things a goalkeeper is taught is to push the ball away from the danger zone when making a save, conceding a corner is better than parrying it into a strikers path. Basic skill that Friedel would get wrong too often. Given doesnt do this.

Both are fantastic 'keepers though but Given is more likely to pull off an amazing save.

In terms of shot stopping I would say Given doesn't look particularly good at diving to me and makes most of his saves by his positioning and reactions rather than throwing himself at the ball. Look at the number of times he saves with his face or an instant swipe of the arm and you'll see the point. Meaning you'll rarely see Given make a flying save; if you fire past the reach of his extremities he won't be saving it, but anything that's within his reach isn't likely to get past him.

really? would the fact he doesnt have to make "flying saves" one of the benefits if his positioning.

If ever a thread needed a poll..

For me Friedels main worry was parrying shots back into the danger zone, one of the first things a goalkeeper is taught is to push the ball away from the danger zone when making a save, conceding a corner is better than parrying it into a strikers path. Basic skill that Friedel would get wrong too often. Given doesnt do this.

Both are fantastic 'keepers though but Given is more likely to pull off an amazing save.

How do you add a poll to a thread?

I actually think Given is no less guilty of this, given that lots of his saves are down to his positioning and thus just allowing the ball to hit him. This makes it likely for the ball to the deflected anywhere, even back into the centre of play.

really? would the fact he doesnt have to make "flying saves" one of the benefits if his positioning.

That was one of my points about him.

In terms of how good they have been in their career, Friedel was better. Not by much mind you.

In terms of how they played for us, I'd say Given has edged it.

And in terms of which was the best option for us, I think we definitely did the right thing in letting Friedel go and getting Given in. He could very well be here for the duration of his contract, and it will be money well spent.

Â