Shay Given vs Brad Friedel

GasGasGas

Based solely on ability as the OP says, I think Friedel shades it and I mean shades it. They're both brilliant goalkeepers and I think the fact the thread is even here means it's a close discussion, otherwise it would be a, ahem, given. There isn't a 'Schmeichel v Enckelman' thread for example.

As for their time with us. They've both been good for us. Friedel benefits from being here during better times and with better players ahead of him. Given has had to dig us out of a rut far more than Brad ever did. Where Given lacks Brad's command of the box I think he edges him on agility, but again it's fine fine margins and all very subjective. But they've both been very good for us. We've been quite lucky with goalkeepers for a while now.

Friedal is a much better keeper. Yes its fair to say as a shot stopper Given is one of the best around but for al round presence Friedal is way ahead. A keepers should command their area and Given just doesn't do that enough. Which is why many are hoping Guzan starts for us next season even though I personally would like to see us sign a new keeper.

We signed Friedel for £2.5 million, he was a good all round keeper but not very good coming off his line at corners.

Given for £3 million better at shot stopping than Friedel but also worse than Friedel at coming off his line.

They're the same in ability I think, Friedel less likely to make a mistake, Given more likely to pull off an amazing save.

Good analysis, 100% agree.

And I also agree with those who wrote that they both could do better if they were protected by a stronger defence.

It'd be very difficult for every keeper, even for Zamora or Jascin, to play behind two average CB like Dunne and Collins.

This season Given could improve, assuming that concrete Ron and Clarke will be the pair of CB.

There's not much to choose between them. I'd choose Given.

They have their strengths and weaknesses, as already identified earlier in the thread, but one thing that is a requirement of a goalie in the modern game is the ability to actually play football.

Brad Friedel is an excellent shot stopper, his positioning is usally pretty good and he makes relatively few mistakes. But I'm better with the ball at my feet than he is. His distribution was (and still is) awful, he inspires no confidence in his back four to use him as an outlet under pressure, and surrenders possesion on a regular basis when asked to 'go long'.

Given is marginally better. But still not great. And that is the reason why these two excellent premier league goalkeepers have never been signed by a 'top four' club. Thy're fine with their hands, but not good enough with their feet.

Â