Shay Given vs Brad Friedel

GasGasGas

Sorry, but this is a ridiculous line of thought.

Given does not organize defense or control the penalty area. In fact, it is his primary weakness.

Change for the sake of change does not improve anything.

I havent seen much organising going on at present either so don't get your point. I'm just fed up conceding 8,4, 3, 2, 2 , 3 goals per game.

Given weren't exactly in poor form when he got dropped to be fair. I just think Guzan wouldn't of re-signed if he wasn't going to be first choice.

I'm not so sure on that. Given started the first 2 league games but was dropped after the Everton game. Guzan played LC against tranmere kept a clean sheet and made some great saves earlier in the season. the roles reversed after that. Even in the 8-0 to Chelsea Guzan saved a penalty and made numerous good saves to keep the score down. I'm not saying Given is a bad keeper or knocking him at all. he did ok last year I suppose. But personally I've never been THAT convinced of him either here or at Newcastle or Man City. 

Given was one of the best keepers in premiership for years and you don't loose that over night. I'd give him a go, look at Cesar at QPR and some of his shot stopping past few games. Single handily picked up them some points. I can't think of too many crazy saves Guzan has made past few games. Not saying he is bad just give him a break

The only problem for me is that you're basing this on something you saw years ago rather than what's happening now. I understand what you're saying about giving him a break, but we did that and went out of 2 cups in a week as has been said before. Also the lad's been waiting years to get a chance here and really impressed when he was given that chance. On top of that I still think Man City did better out of us signing him than we did. Given is no Enkleman for sure, but he's not in the same class as Spink, Bosnich, Schmeichel or Friedel for me, and my heart would pick Sealey and Guzan ahead of him too.

Given weren't exactly in poor form when he got dropped to be fair. I just think Guzan wouldn't of re-signed if he wasn't going to be first choice.

I'm not so sure on that. Given started the first 2 league games but was dropped after the Everton game. Guzan played LC against tranmere kept a clean sheet and made some great saves earlier in the season. the roles reversed after that. Even in the 8-0 to Chelsea Guzan saved a penalty and made numerous good saves to keep the score down. I'm not saying Given is a bad keeper or knocking him at all. he did ok last year I suppose. But personally I've never been THAT convinced of him either here or at Newcastle or Man City. 

Given was one of the best keepers in premiership for years and you don't loose that over night. I'd give him a go, look at Cesar at QPR and some of his shot stopping past few games. Single handily picked up them some points. I can't think of too many crazy saves Guzan has made past few games. Not saying he is bad just give him a break

The only problem for me is that you're basing this on something you saw years ago rather than what's happening now. I understand what you're saying about giving him a break, but we did that and went out of 2 cups in a week as has been said before. Also the lad's been waiting years to get a chance here and really impressed when he was given that chance. On top of that I still think Man City did better out of us signing him than we did. Given is no Enkleman for sure, but he's not in the same class as Spink, Bosnich, Schmeichel or Friedel for me, and my heart would pick Sealey and Guzan ahead of him too.

My heads hurting thinking about our defensive problems. Think I have to give up and accept there is no easy fix.

To all these people saying we should put Given back in, I presume you didn't watch our recent games in the cups? It's not even like Guzan's been poor either. in fact he's been very good. It's the shit defence in front of him that's the problem.

I haven't remembered Guzman making any spectacular saves recently bar against Chelsea so don't know were this very good has come from. He has been acceptable.

And IMO its mainly the 2 CMs why we are conceeding all the goals. We conceed so many corners/set pieces resulting from defense been under so much pressure. Has anyone done a corners conceded per game ratio compared to any other prem team. Be interesting to see. You conceed enough per game ones bound to go in.

The thing about Guzan is that he commands his area well and comes off his line more, meaning that potential opposition shots (and thus potential spectacular saves) never come to fruition.

On the set piece issue Given is absolutely dreadful. We conceded 5 goals from corners in just 3 games under GIven recently.

My heads hurting thinking about our defensive problems. Think I have to give up and accept there is no easy fix.

The easy fix would have been spending a bit on a CB and LB in January. Those are the real problem areas.

Â