All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I do wonder if I just went to a different type of secular 70's comp to most. I don't recognise half the experiences you guys mention.

Same as my school. There were then and there are even more now, three main types of state schools (ignoring the Academy bullshit)

There's your commonal garden state-funded school like you and I went to 

Then there are C of E and Catholic "aided" schools. These last two are just wrong. It's not as pronounced in some areas. Certainly in Brum when I was growing up, I'd never heard of a C of E school but there were Catholic ones (Stuart Bathurst?), even in Wales my mates went to a Catholic School (Bishop Headly in Merthyr). but C of E (or W) schools were almost unheard of. I think they are more common now

Then I come to Liverpool, the entire place is infected with religionist schools, so much so that the rare non-religionist schools tend to be the REALLY SHIT ONES, which is why against my general principals I sent my daughter to a fee-paying school

Even the C of E schools around these parts insist on proof that you regularly attend church (which is defined as 3 times a month) to be considered for acceptance outside of the standard, you must take these kids rule. 

It's mass indoctrination, it's absolutely scandalous that it's allowed to happen

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Clearly wasn't a religionist school

it was simply a machine for finding rugby players

turn up to classes, or don't, be a physics genius, invent something or write poetry, nobody gave a shit if you couldn't run and catch an egg ball

that's actually quite depressingly close to the truth

• Like 2

In my case, it was probably more to do with the era (1959-1972), but both my primary and grammar schools - non-affiliated, common-or-garden state schools - taught C of E flavour Christianity only. I'd never heard of the term "R.E." - it was called "Scripture". Hymns, prayers and a Bible reading at full school assembly every morning, too. Only in the 6th form was there an optional course (under the aegis of 'General Studies') called 'Religion, Ethics and Philosophy'. It was rather good - but only a handful of us chose it. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Been to church the last two sundays. First time I’ve been properly. Didn’t go today mind. 

After your Good Samaritan act for me, I'm not going put any dampeners on it. 

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

After your Good Samaritan act for me, I'm not going put any dampeners on it. 

Tbf they were very welcoming and friendly and had a good sense of humour. Most of the congregation were old. I didn’t mind it, but it kind of left me feeling a bit empty and isolated inside. Had a cup of tea and biscuit at the end and had a natter to some of them about football , and other stuff. It did make me chuckle to myself when the vicar was blessing everyone and saying preyers for people, then a bit after he asked one of the helpers where a certain someone is and the woman replied we’ve had to ring an ambulance for him because he had a funny turn just outside the church. The vicar was like  mmmm....oh right, then just carried on. Not sure if i’ll go again , but my journey is spiritual at the moment so we’ll see. 

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Tbf they were very welcoming and friendly and had a good sense of humour. Most of the congregation were old. I didn’t mind it, but it kind of left me feeling a bit empty and isolated inside. Had a cup of tea and biscuit at the end and had a natter to some of them about football , and other stuff. It did make me chuckle to myself when the vicar was blessing everyone and saying preyers for people, then a bit after he asked one of the helpers where a certain someone is and the woman replied we’ve had to ring an ambulance for him because he had a funny turn just outside the church. The vicar was like  mmmm....oh right, then just carried on. Not sure if i’ll go again , but my journey is spiritual at the moment so we’ll see. 

"So if the solution has never been to look in yourself, how is it that you expect to find it anywhere else."

Some of the most profound literature and speeches I have encountered have been produced by religious folk.

I was a bit feral growing up until my twenties. Never killed anyone but it's pretty fortunate I don't have any convictions to my name.

I love most messages given by religious leaders but I look at the choir boys in their suits for Sunday mass and think to myself I can get acquainted with God elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Senior Saudi cleric slams ‘paranoia’ over segregation between men and women

The former Imam of the Holy Mosque in Makkah, Sheikh Adil Al-Kalbani, has called for men and women not to be separated using a partition during prayers.

In a televised interview with Saudi Broadcasting Corp. (SBC), he said that this type of segregation did not happen during the era of Prophet Muhammad. He stressed the current segregation practices have no roots in Islamic tradition and are a result of unjustified “paranoia” of women, even during prayer.

“Sadly today, we are paranoid — in a mosque — a place of worship. They are completely separated from men, they cannot see them and can only hear them through microphones or speakers. And if the voice has been cut off, they wouldn’t know what is going on (during prayer),” he elaborated.

“In the Prophet’s era, and they are the most protective and God-fearing people. With all these traits, the men used to pray in the front and women prayed in the back of the mosque without a partition, not even a curtain. And today, it is a separated room, some even far from the original Prophet’s Mosque area, I believe this is some type of phobia toward women.”

Arab News

On 23/04/2019 at 19:18, chrisp65 said:

So, again I guess it might be that catholic thing, but I wasn't taught religion in school. Well, we had a class called 'R.E." where we learnt the list of religions, but we also had all sorts of other stuff tumbled in to that class, sexual health, being nice to girls, racism is bad. I think it's called citizenship class or some such title these days.

Over the 162 pages of this thread, i think I have decided school in the Midlands must have been a traumatic ordeal of choir practise and dodgy vicar dodging.

I do wonder if I just went to a different type of secular 70's comp to most. I don't recognise half the experiences you guys mention.

Nah, did RE, same sort of thing as you, basically a class where they taught us what a methodist was and dont be a dick. I suspect all dodginess happened in Birmingham

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bickster said:

But f***ing children is ok

Too right, but I think you didn't get the memo: It not f**king, it's only "abuse".

Sickens me no end. The use of language to manipulate our perception of the crimes these people engage in.

27 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm really looking forward to reading this. A subject I have some interest in. Should be interesting . 

Should be a rollercoaster of laughs from the first page to the last

Â