All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

57 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Even the most pathologically disturbed understand what is considered good and right. It's inherent and innate in all of us.

There's an interesting series A History Of Hate, yesterday's episode on Rwanda was interesting, it picks through how you get a whole population to buy in to thinking they are doing good by committing genocide.

Good and right are in constant flux.

Just ask any minority.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Jesus from the Bible . 

Still not read it then? To save time just read the bit that covers when god impregnated a women without her consent. Then read the extraordinary set of old bollocks that the medieval church had to concoct so that Anne had an immaculate conception so that Mary would be without sin when she was raped by the sky fairy.

Nice character that Universe. Worship him or he'll burn you forever.

Just now, limpid said:

Still not read it then? To save time just read the bit that covers when god impregnated a women without her consent. Then read the extraordinary set of old bollocks that the medieval church had to concoct so that Anne had an immaculate conception so that Mary would be without sin when she was raped by the sky fairy.

Nice character that Universe. Worship him or he'll burn you forever.

To be fair he had the good grace to warn her she was about to get ghost raped. 

I mean he waited 14 billion years for this girl to be born so he wasn't just going in with duct tape and a balaclava. 

He has a tender side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

To be fair he had the good grace to warn her she was about to get ghost raped. 

Some warning, but no opportunity to say "yes".

Just now, limpid said:

Some warning, but no opportunity to say "yes".

Blue balls . Gabriel had been telling him to leave the clouds for millions of years but all God would say is "I AM NOT RAPING A BLOODY DINOSAUR, TRUST ME , MARY WILL BE HERE SOON ENOUGH"

But what if she says no ?

Image result for dennis reynolds no

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

If we are God's children, then God is in us, a part of our being. We are essentially a form of the universe experiencing itself, if you think about it. We're not strangers here.

I don't believe a connection to God or anything spiritual requires a church or religious organisation/faction, they should only serve as a reminder through the purpose of their actions.

Even the most pathologically disturbed understand what is considered good and right. It's inherent and innate in all of us.

If your inner world is sound, with both piece and peace of mind, you need not rely on the dogma or commandments of an entity that may have lost touch.

There's a speech by Muhammad Ali which I would like to add here, but perhaps 10 minutes is more than desirable for my response.

My question may not have been clear.

Why do you see that (i.e. some form of enlightenment by way of introspection and self-awareness) as necessarily religious?

Your original comment and your response above seems to imply that.

If you don't and you're just saying that the religious can seek enlightenment that way just as those without religion can then fair enough. If, however, it's merely 'If we are God's children, then God is in us' claptrap then it's typical religious poppycock.

• Like 2

Just now, Brumerican said:

The hatred must innate deep inside the quarks.

It's in the Higgs field. Down at that scale it's a hotbed of emotions. You can't expect those strings to vibrate themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, limpid said:

It's in the Higgs field. Down at that scale it's a hotbed of emotions. You can't expect those strings to vibrate themselves.

Should be called the Church field as it gives us mass.

Image result for badum tish gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OK, even Dawkins is willing to accept 'god' as a synonym for the total **** ing amazeballs-ness of the universe. 

The bit I don't get is this worshipping business. Why would you want to worship anything? Why would this omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent ball of energy give a flying **** about being worshipped? 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, even Dawkins is willing to accept 'god' as a synonym for the total **** ing amazeballs-ness of the universe. 

The bit I don't get is this worshipping business. Why would you want to worship anything? Why would this omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent ball of energy give a flying **** about being worshipped? 

Why is energy so needy ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

There's an interesting series A History Of Hate, yesterday's episode on Rwanda was interesting, it picks through how you get a whole population to buy in to thinking they are doing good by committing genocide.

Good and right are in constant flux.

Just ask any minority.

Not entirely sure I agree. There's physiological consequences for love and hate. Universal truth isn't measured in mass appeal.

I suppose this is exactly why I mentioned the need to be in touch with one's inner world.

When the finger gets pointed at you, the only pressure to succumb to is that which you place on yourself.

That way beliefs are not confused and convoluted by and according to the dogma set out by societal duress.

I will check out that series. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The bit I don't get is this worshipping business.

IMO it's installed into humans as an instinct,  a bit like wordpad in Windows,  initially to bring communities together and thus make them stronger and more likely to survive similar I suppose to wolf pack's etc,  they just work together.  So,  if a community worship's the Sun and understands it's movements and power  (In respect of crops & weather) then this is a real tangible benefit to the whole community and they could say "It gives us stuff,  nice one,  have a dead virgin".  At that point this all should have really died out IMO and in a lot of people it has.  It didn't and morphed into make believe that was ever so handily invisible.  The people who made it all up were incredibly clever and it's still going now.  It's the greatest inverted pyramid selling scheme of all time where you get nothing but make sure you pass this on to all around you as soon as possible.     

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, snowychap said:

My question may not have been clear.

Why do you see that (i.e. some form of enlightenment by way of introspection and self-awareness) as necessarily religious?

Your original comment and your response above seems to imply that.

If you don't and you're just saying that the religious can seek enlightenment that way just as those without religion can then fair enough. If, however, it's merely 'If we are God's children, then God is in us' claptrap then it's typical religious poppycock.

I suppose I see it as religious because when being introspective and self-aware we are dealing with the acknowledgement of existence and the meaning we assign to it.

Belief, ethics and philosophy might be abstract but they determine our decisions, direct our actions, shaping the construct of reality accordingly. We are the fabric of the universe.

I say we are God's children because we have the power to create and give life, as well as to take it. To make the intangible become material. The power to manifest reality.

So in relation to my original comment that you quoted, the introspection mentioned would then give life to new understanding and alter the course of one's being. Creation.

I hope that makes sense for you.

Edited by A'Villan

17 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

IMO it's installed into humans as an instinct,  a bit like wordpad in Windows,  initially to bring communities together and thus make them stronger and more likely to survive similar I suppose to wolf pack's etc,  they just work together.  So,  if a community worship's the Sun and understands it's movements and power  (In respect of crops & weather) then this is a real tangible benefit to the whole community and they could say "It gives us stuff,  nice one,  have a dead virgin".  At that point this all should have really died out IMO and in a lot of people it has.  It didn't and morphed into make believe that was ever so handily invisible.  The people who made it all up were incredibly clever and it's still going now.  It's the greatest inverted pyramid selling scheme of all time where you get nothing but make sure you pass this on to all around you as soon as possible.     

All true. And there's a more prosaic (and sinister) reason: human power politics. Why is this imaginary being referred to as 'the lord'? Because he's the boss, just like your human boss. And your human boss likes you to suck up to him. He likes to threaten the shit out of you. Why is he the boss? Because his dad was. Because he says so. Because he's got a big axe, and a gang of thugs to back him up. But if you do as you're told, and keep telling him how fantastic he is, he might give you a few handouts. Or at least not kill you. Thus is the hierarchy maintained. As on earth, so in heaven. You understand carrots and sticks, don't you, underlings? 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Brumerican said:

And why is energy homophobic ?

There's interesting pieces of writing on how certain passages (I think six in total) have been taken out of context and assigned new meaning, creating prejudice untrue of the author.

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

There's interesting pieces of writing on how certain passages (I think six in total) have been taken out of context and assigned new meaning, creating prejudice untrue of the author.

I assume you are talking about the Bible. I have to guess since the question you replied to was about energy, not a thing with "passages".

Please pick your best example.

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

All true. And there's a more prosaic (and sinister) reason: human power politics. Why is this imaginary being referred to as 'the lord'? Because he's the boss, just like your human boss. And your human boss likes you to suck up to him. He likes to threaten the shit out of you. Why is he the boss? Because his dad was. Because he says so. Because he's got a big axe, and a gang of thugs to back him up. But if you do as you're told, and ketp telling him how fantastic he is, he might give you a few handouts. Or at least not kill you. Thus is the hierarchy maintained as on earth, so in heaven. You understand carrots and sticks, don't you, underlings? 

We do, and so we should, don't you think? Maybe I've misunderstood, but we reap what we sow.

As with anything in life, there are repercussions. The recurrence of undesirable outcomes is dependent on our ability to learn.

An understanding for what the resulting consequences are, and whether they are beneficial or detrimental is healthy, isn't it?

Â