All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don’t get the need for this. 

What bit ruge?

The news story is about the Sultan deciding to put all the gay people in his country to death for being gay and when asked why? he said because God told me to in the book.

The response of mocking somebody wondering what to do about something, turning to God for advice..........and then committing genocide couldn't be more applicable if it tried.

It's not just gay people if you read the article. Adultery, sodomy, blasphemy are on the list along with same-sex relationships whereby after April the 3rd people will be whipped and stoned to death.

For consuming alcohol it'll just be the whipping and the mutilation.

It's going to be in bad taste. It's a joke about religious genocide.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

What bit ruge?

The news story is about the Sultan deciding to put all the gay people in his country to death for being gay and when asked why? he said because God told me to in the book.

The response of mocking somebody wondering what to do about something, turning to God for advice..........and then committing genocide couldn't be more applicable if it tried.

It's not just gay people if you read the article. Adultery, sodomy, blasphemy are on the list along with same-sex relationships whereby after April the 3rd people will be whipped and stoned to death.

For consuming alcohol it'll just be the whipping and the mutilation.

It's going to be in bad taste. It's a joke about religious genocide.

Obviously I don’t agree with any kind of punishment like that. In fact no one should be punished for any of those things. I didn’t really link it up to the article, I just felt like it was another dig at religious people who go about their daily lives trying to help people or not bothering people. Not everything about religion is bad , and that’s what a lot of people are not seeing. 

• Like 2

Because it’s all just complete and utter made up bobbins and we won’t move forward as a society/world until people update their brains and stop believing in modern day myths and fairy tales. But it will never happen.

Of course if it does then we’ll just find something else to murder, maim, manipulate and **** each other over in the name of so erm.... yeah.

Edited by Ingram85

40 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not everything about religion is bad , and that’s what a lot of people are not seeing. 

I agree. There are people for whom it is a comfort, or a solace, or a social network, or a source of keeping them on a path. I'm not remotely religious personally, but I don't think it's by itself any kind of bad thing, or something to be banned, or the opposite - to be compulsory. The targeting, by nutters and terrorists and racists of religious groups is appalling. Many if not all of the victims are totally innocent, wholly good people, who just happen to believe in their God.

In essence, while a small percentage of religious people are very bad indeed - child molesters, murderers, thieves and twisted terrorists, the other 99% are the opposite. And part of that is due to their religion.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

at religious people who go about their daily lives trying to help people

Does that include the people that go out to feed the homeless every night... but make the homeless people pray before getting the food

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agree. There are people for whom it is a comfort, or a solace, or a social network, or a source of keeping them on a path. I'm not remotely religious personally, but I don't think it's by itself any kind of bad thing, or something to be banned, or the opposite - to be compulsory. The targeting, by nutters and terrorists and racists of religious groups is appalling. Many if not all of the victims are totally innocent, wholly good people, who just happen to believe in their God.

In essence, while a small percentage of religious people are very bad indeed - child molesters, murderers, thieves and twisted terrorists, the other 99% are the opposite. And part of that is due to their religion.

This is how I see things completely. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Does that include the people that go out to feed the homeless every night... but make the homeless people pray before getting the food

So even a good deed has been turned into a negative. Personally I don’t think they should do that, and to be honest I’m sure most don’t ask them to prey first.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

So even a good deed has been turned into a negative. Personally I don’t think they should do that, and to be honest I’m sure most don’t ask them to prey first.

1) There is no need for them to do this feeding the homeless, the council here have that covered in a very big way

2) they are doing it to convert them

It's the same with all the Catholic (and others) missionary work. Supposedly doing good and offering medical care whilst at the same time telling these poor starving Africans that condoms are evil. That pretty much ensured that AIDS spread like wildfire

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

1) There is no need for them to do this feeding the homeless, the council here have that covered in a very big way

2) they are doing it to convert them

It's the same with all the Catholic (and others) missionary work. Supposedly doing good and offering medical care whilst at the same time telling these poor starving Africans that condoms are evil. That pretty much ensured that AIDS spread like wildfire

There is every reason for them to do it, like there is every reason for joe bloggs to go and do it. I’m not one for  people trying to convert people, and I see it a lot of the time with the people coming to the door and asking for two minutes of your time. Not everyone is doing it to convert people though. So religion is being blamed for the spread of aids now. Jeez man. 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

So religion is being blamed for the spread of aids now. Jeez man. 

Not in Europe/US, but in Africa, very much so. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There is every reason for them to do it, like there is every reason for joe bloggs to go and do it.

No there isn't if they were genuine in their desire to help the homeless, they'd just go and offer to help the official council homeless teams that are out in the city and help in a co-ordinated strategic way. They are doing it as a church for one reason and one reason alone.

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

So religion is being blamed for the spread of aids now. Jeez man. 

In Africa, very much so as Mike said. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not in Europe/US, but in Africa, very much so. 

Religion will not be the main part of the spreading. Man does not like to wear condoms whether it be here in England, or in Africa . The main reason of it spreading will be the irresponsible actions of people. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

No there isn't if they were genuine in their desire to help the homeless, they'd just go and offer to help the official council homeless teams that are out in the city and help in a co-ordinated strategic way. They are doing it as a church for one reason and one reason alone.

In Africa, very much so as Mike said. 

I think you are just trying to cover up any good work the church does. 

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is this thread about religon or Islam? Because it’s unfair to tar all religions with the same brush. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Why tar it all with the same brush. 

You know when the Police force do or are involved in something bad, which attracts criticism. And then the next thing you know, you have people reminding you what a hard job they do and that not all Police are bad. Even though no one said they were, or for one second thought they did an easy job?

Yeah, that.

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

They are just trying to help people less fortunate. I’m sure they are not just doing it to convert people. 

Yeah ok, I'll not bother again Ruge because there's no point in debating anything with someone whose only response is a gut feeling with no basis in fact whatsoever

• Like 1

Â