All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I find it all rather hopeless at the moment. Intolerant people will always exist no matter how much education and exposure you offer and for that reason we are potentially doomed as a society. You could ostracise them but then you are just as intolerant as they are. Education and exposure is key but how to show stubborn people that different doesn’t mean dangerous? They are angrily defiant to the point of starting a culture war and they’ll be damned if they are going to change their mind. It’s a vicious circle and if there was an answer we would have it by now. 

People/groups encompassing all the ‘ism’s’ under the sun living, working, shagging and fighting together in close quarters. There’s too many of us and too many cultures of every single type isolating themselves as pockets within other cultures and that’s where the hate and distrust comes from on all sides imo. The issue is that currently there are too many people unwilling to come together. They want to stay in the world they know and are used to and damn everyone else. We are the architects of our own demise.  

When I was younger I used to think that as the generations went on that hatred will be bred out as kids learn from their parents mistakes but Ive realised that it really is a case of children picking up their parents habits and views and extending the cycle of hatred and disdain. How do you fight against that?

At one point I thought I was a Secular Agnostic Atheist but then I realised it’s all complete bollocks and I’m just pigeon holing myself into yet another ism and that that risks me being on a side against other ism’s. I don’t want that. I’m not sure we will ever get to an idealistic point of a harmonious society, all I can do as an individual is be as nice to everyone as I can possibly be. I’m sure I’ll mess up at some point but then I’ll try and be even nicer the next time. If as many people stick to that mantra we may just survive.

I may have just posted complete gobshite but it’s been therapeutic to write it out  so there’s that going for it. 

May sound selfish but one of the answers is to look after you and your own. Do whatever it takes to ensure your children grow up in an area and in schools where this intolerance doesn’t exist. These places exist.

Thats what motivates me to work my ass off every day.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Give me a break. So all genocide is in name of god?

No. Where does it say that?

I think it's apt to the story of Brunei implementing a death penalty for homosexuals " to obey Allah’s command as written in the Quran.” 

Don't you?

As for the wider point about religious wars are you suggesting this is not a thing?

11 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

No. Where does it say that?

I think it's apt to the story of Brunei implementing a death penalty for homosexuals " to obey Allah’s command as written in the Quran.” 

Don't you?

As for the wider point about religious wars are you suggesting this is not a thing?

No I’m not suggesting that. People have been killing each for years whether it’s for religion or something else. It’s too simplistic to simply to point to religion for wars.(not that you are doing that but some people do). 

As for the the Quran. Is this thread about religon or Islam? Because it’s unfair to tar all religions with the same brush. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

lets ignore how many lives religion may have saved.

I thought that the god of the bible created everything -  he had it written into his book. Isaiah 45:7. Depending on which version of his infallible word you read, he invented evil, calamity or disaster.

He has the power to stop anything, but as the old testament tells us (and the meme references), he seems to enjoy a good genocide..

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

As for the the Quran. Is this thread about religon or Islam? Because it’s unfair to tar all religions with the same brush. 

It is the all purpose religion thread. I would take that to mean it's the place to discuss things related to religion. A death Penalty based on religious doctrine is relevant to this thread. It wouldn't matter to me if it was Scientologists, Mormons, Bahai - it's a religion. Islam is also a religion is it not? So therefore it is relevant to this thread. I quoted the bit about the Quran because it is the quote from the post I replied to ..... that you are now replying to me about. It is a direct quote from the text FFS. 

It would be unfair to tar all religions with the same brush, so it's a good job nobody has done that.

No I’m not suggestion that.

So we agree there have been (and are now) wars waged for religious purposes. War in the name of God and so on.

People have been killing each for years whether it’s for religion or something else. It’s too simplistic to simply to point to religion for wars.(not that you are doing that but some people do). 

Throughout our entire history, I would go so far as to say. But I would argue it's too simplistic to simply shrug our shoulders and say it's always been this way. Or to point at other things as a way of normalising something.

For the record I 100% WAS pointing at "religion for wars"..... (I hope you understand the relevance of not having just written the word 'all' anywhere in that sentence)

Lets put it this way, if it's cancer, and we know a large percentage of it is caused by smoking - do we look at all the other cancers and all the people who have died over the years of cancer and do nothing about it?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

EDIT: lets ignore how many lives religion may have saved.

if only there were an open public forum with which interested people could engage to share stories and spread the word eh?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

It would be unfair to tar all religions with the same brush, so it's a good job nobody has done that.

Could have fooled me mate.

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Lets put it this way, if it's cancer, and we know a large percentage of it is caused by smoking - do we look at all the other cancers and all the people who have died over the years of cancer and do nothing about it?

Don’t really get the comparison to religion or what I said.

13 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

For the record I 100% WAS pointing at "religion for wars"..... (I hope you understand the relevance of not having just written the word 'all' anywhere in that sentence)

You don’t seem to be able to reply without a condescending tone so we’ll leave it there.  👍🏼

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

if only there were an open public forum with which interested people could engage to share stories and spread the word eh?

Can’t help yourself can you? Is it just your writing style or does it come naturally to you?

Anyway did you know it’s estimated 6% of the worlds deaths are related to alcohol? 

Hundreds of millions don’t drink due to their religious beliefs. That’s a hell of a lot of lives saved right there. 

Now I must get back to work. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No I’m not suggesting that. People have been killing each for years whether it’s for religion or something else. It’s too simplistic to simply to point to religion for wars.(not that you are doing that but some people do). 

There are currently armed Buddhist militias in Myanmar, offing Muslims. Buddhists. 

@Vive_La_Villa

Sarcasm is a low form of wit. And I am a sarcastic word removed. What I wrote wasn't designed to offend. I was mocking the irony I saw in you suggesting people were ignoring religion's positive influence instead of just posting or talking about positive stories. Which you are just as able to do as any of us.

I am genuinely (this side of the screen at least), trying to be better at letting things go, as I can very much be 'like a dog with a bone sometimes'. I find people putting words into my mouth or twisting what I've said or quoted to be a trigger for this. I appreciate there's a better use of language than FFS and the like to try and communicate this. I could happily leave this without further comment based on the perception of condescension and not needing to re-explain anything not understood. But I wouldn't be being true to myself to leave the assertion hanging unresolved that I am in some way tarring all religions with the same brush. Or that anything I've said in here today mean some of the things you have either chosen to tell me I mean, or decided to react to and base your reply around words that weren't there. I genuinely hope you can see why this might cause me to act defensively.

I couldn't have fooled you because you were not being fooled.

we could just leave it there

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115c9e31257259684255

but I'd rather it was more

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115c9e326b4d587a5751

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Good post, but this bit is a definite thing these days, isn't it? people labelling themselves or others - it's all tiny sects and pigeon-holing and tribal. It's very counter-productive and intolerant and squashes wider discussion and understanding. I'm here in my trench.. 

Post-modernism has much to answer for.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

lets ignore how many lives religion may have saved.

I took it to be a humorous allusion to all the genocidal rampages God has been on himself according to the holy books.  Ya know, drowning the entire would, Sodom and Gomorrah etc.

Edited by Wainy316

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That story highlights one of the biggest problems with Islam, the fact that there is no seperation between church and state in most, probably all, of the traditionally Muslim nations.  Modernisation or even debate is virtually impossible as a result.  I can't imagine how it must feel to be homosexual and live in the middle east.

Â