All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

The meek shall inherit the Earth.

joemeek1.gif

probably more smug than meek, but yeah, everyday is a day closer to the chrisp65 benign world dictatorship

the rules will be fairly simple

1. You shall make no idols.
  2. Football is 3:00pm on a Saturday, the occasional Tuesday evening under lights is admissible, but only as a treat.
  3. You shall not murder.
  4. You shall not commit adultery.
  5. You shall not steal.
  6. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  7. You shall not covet.
  8. No false encores.
  9. Work hard, then relax.
  10. Put the phone down and appreciate the moment.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Surely it comes down to how parents raise their kids rather than what they learn about the bible and or other religions at school.  I did learn some of the bible stories in primary school and we sang hymns (though we sang more Beatles songs) but nothing really stuck, probably because my folks made no attempt to take me to church and I wasn't even Christened.  RE was a doss lesson at secondary school but we did actually learn about other religions pretty much equally so had its uses in understanding other people.  I doubt I know one deeply religious person.

You poor bastard, Hymns and the Beatles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Y'see, that was the advantage of being a kid in the 60s. The Beatles were hip with kids, and despised by parents and teachers, so we were bound to enjoy them, as the alternative to hymns and Mantovani. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Beatles were hip with kids, and despised by parents and teachers, so we were bound to enjoy them, as the alternative to hymns and Mantovani.

Brainwashed I tells ya!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

joemeek1.gif

probably more smug than meek, but yeah, everyday is a day closer to the chrisp65 benign world dictatorship

the rules will be fairly simple

1. You shall make no idols.
  2. Football is 3:00pm on a Saturday, the occasional Tuesday evening under lights is admissible, but only as a treat.
  3. You shall not murder.
  4. You shall not commit adultery.
  5. You shall not steal.
  6. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  7. You shall not covet.
  8. No false encores.
  9. Work hard, then relax.
  10. Put the phone down and appreciate the moment.

I can go with 8 and a half of those. I may have strayed on number 2 (wednesdays for me, er, every day of the week) and um, well, y'know...

But I like number 8 best, so that makes up for the naughtiness, doesn't it?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

I can go with 8 and a half of those. I may have strayed on number 2 (wednesdays for me, er, every day of the week) and um, well, y'know...

But I like number 8 best, so that makes up for the naughtiness, doesn't it?

8 was in there just for you, but it's actually a good rule for life

My thinking on Wednesday night football was that it's a real ball ache for me as I'm often in London on a Wednesday and getting the train back in time to get to the game is a bit hit and miss. Plus I'm often in manic meetings and then standing on the train to Swindon and beyond. So my head's in the shed on a Wednesday and I don't appreciate the game fully.

But then I thought, hang on, if I'm benign dictator of the world, I'd probably jack in the day job.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

8 was in there just for you, but it's actually a good rule for life

My thinking on Wednesday night football was that it's a real ball ache for me as I'm often in London on a Wednesday and getting the train back in time to get to the game is a bit hit and miss. Plus I'm often in manic meetings and then standing on the train to Swindon and beyond. So my head's in the shed on a Wednesday and I don't appreciate the game fully.

But then I thought, hang on, if I'm benign dictator of the world, I'd probably jack in the day job.

Thanks. It is.

On the football - rules are for the little people, right? So as benign dictator of the world, you'd be exempt - like rich people and taxes etc and so forth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think 'the meek' is welsh code for 'not you arrogant English bastards'. :)

no, no, I genuinely try and avoid them bantz, it can too often end in tears or reinforced lazy reciprocal stereotypes

I do slip and get chippy sometimes, but generally that's something I stay clear of. Fascinating how many people think it's just a silly joke than get moody when you give a bit back. I say that as someone that has had the experience of working in just about every prison in Kent.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Ha thought you'd like that.  It wasn't just The Beatles but all sorts of 60s and 70s songs like the New Seekers and a few others. Looking back I question the choices of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds and Puff The Magic Dragon, though I guess they are still less harmful than hymns.

• Like 3

Guru convinced 400 men to castrate themselves to be closer to God

FEBRUARY 28, 2015 BY MICHAEL STONE

‘Guru of Bling’ collects testicles for God: An Indian spiritual leader is accused of convincing up to 400 followers to remove their testicles, claiming that by doing so the men would be able to speak directly to God.

Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, known as “The Guru in Bling,” is accused of coercing hundreds of followers to undergo the procedure at a hospital run by his spiritual organization.

India’s Central Bureau of Investigation has reportedly obtained statements from victims, saying the castrations took place at a hospital run by Ram Rahim’s organization.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports officers from India’s elite Central Bureau of Investigation appear to have made a crucial breakthrough in the long-running investigation into the alleged mass castrations, last week gathering important testimony from victims and other witnesses as they prepare charges of grievous bodily harm against Ram Rahim.

Previously a “cone of silence” has surrounded the accusations against the wildly popular guru, who has around 50 million followers worldwide, and is worth an estimated $50 million.

According to reports, most of the victims feared for their lives if they dare spoke out against the figure revered by millions.

Ram Rahim Singh and his organization deny that they had anything to do with the castrations, claiming:

This business of castration is not part of the doctrine … No such practice can be attributed to either the guru or our organization.

This is not the first time the guru has been accused of wrongdoing. In 2002, he faced conspiracy charges over the murder of a journalist who was investigating him, and there have also been allegations of sexual abuse of female followers.

Adding to Rahim Singh’s cult of celebrity, the guru is currently starring as the lead in a recently made Bollywood film titled “MSG: Messenger of God.” In January, the film opened to a world-record audience of over 150,000 at a public premiere in Gurgaon, a city just outside Delhi. The film supposedly shows Ram Rahim breaking a tree trunk with his bare hands and walking on air, among other miracles.

Link

• Haha 1

Â