All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

We are all the same thing, pure energy/God. I believe God to mean nothing more than an all knowing intelligence, incomprehensible to man, responsible for Creation.

The sun does not evoke light without eyes to see it. So God is in us.

Which God you ask?

I still don't know how to answer this, other than to say I think religion is misunderstood and lost in translation. But to explain why would require me to revise the history and etymology which I have long forgotten.

The overwhelming majority of scholars (atheist included) agree that Jesus did in fact exist, and also that his disciples had experiences whereby they thought he had risen from the dead.

I will come back to this though, as it's hardly a rebuttal worthy of the reasoning and facts that you have posted.

Yes we are all energy ( Which can't be created or destroyed so a creator is not needed) 

An intelligent entity existing outside of our reality raises far more questions than energy just merely existing.

I think it's far more awe inspiring to know that we are the universe's way of experiencing itself .

Why would having a creator be a good thing ?  You'd just be a product of their imagination . An ant in an ant farm. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

We are all the same thing, pure energy/God. I believe God to mean nothing more than an all knowing intelligence, incomprehensible to man, responsible for Creation.

This scenario could also end in a harvest ?

Could be soon? Reckon we're going a bit off.

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

This scenario could also end in a harvest ?

Could be soon? Reckon we're going a bit off.

Will refrain from posting further if people are no longer interested in the discussion or if the mods feel the same.

It is titled, "All-Purpose"

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

The Nazi's were also interested in the occult.

As I said my knowledge is quite shallow, though I do not disregard any of the three.

Can you give some form of reasoning to accompany the quackery label.

I think it being consistent among a number of languages gives it enough merit to elicit a reasoned response.

I am always looking to broaden my horizons so would welcome a better way of thinking.

How can Gematria have any relevance if it's not multilingual for example . 

Jesus is called many different names in different languages . As is God and Lucifer . So why is the secret code only applicable to certain languages which just happened to be the ones used in the geographical locations associated with the Abrahamic religions ? You know, the religions that were bastardizations of the Egyptian religions?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Will refrain from posting further if people are no longer interested in the discussion or if the mods feel the same.

It is titled, "All-Purpose"

Always interested.

Which Gematria is linked to Odin ?

41 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

The overwhelming majority of scholars (atheist included) agree that Jesus did in fact exist, and also that his disciples had experiences whereby they thought he had risen from the dead.

Was that a segment on FOX ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

'We are all the same thing, pure energy/God. I believe God to mean nothing more than an all knowing intelligence, incomprehensible to man, responsible for Creation.

So it knows everything ?  Including all future events ?

Got caught out by a snake ?

Drowned a whole planet's worth of sentient land based lifeforms because it's omniscient plan went tits up ?

Waited almost 14 billion years between inventing light and space raping Mary, in order to give birth to itself as a man,  so he could sacrifice itself, to itself, in order to correct this omniscient plan ?

Creates homosexuals whilst installing homophobic dogma in it's laws ?

Maybe God is incomprehensible to man because man created God to fill an incomprehensible hole.

Edited by Brumerican

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Always interested.

Which Gematria is linked to Odin ?

None that I have come across.

Although 9 is a number of significance in their mythology apparently.

For example when Odin sacrificed himself he hung for 9 days.

Was that a segment on FOX ?

That was not my source, and I have not watched it yet.

How can Gematria have any relevance if it's not multilingual for example . 

Jesus is called many different names in different languages . As is God and Lucifer . So why is the secret code only applicable to certain languages which just happened to be the ones used in the geographical locations associated with the Abrahamic religions ? You know, the religions that were bastardizations of the Egyptian religions?

I'm not exactly sure what you're implying in your final question here. I have yet to make up my mind on whether or not those religions are descendants of Sumerian/Egyptian religions.

As for it being applicable only to the languages used in the locations of Abrahamic religions, I am hoping you might share your opinion on it, as yet again, I am without a response where I can be of any benefit. I just found it to be beyond coincidental, and I am of the belief that language is organic, making the explanation for the occurrence a bit of a mystery to me.

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

So it knows everything ?  Including all future events ?

Got caught out by a snake ?

Drowned a whole planets worth of sentient land based lifeforms because it's omniscient plan went tits up ?

Waited almost 14 billion years between inventing light and space raping Mary, in order to give birth to itself as a man,  so he could sacrifice itself, to itself, in order to correct this omniscient plan ?

Creates homosexuals whilst installing homophobic dogma in it's laws ?

Maybe God is incomprehensible to man because man created God to fil an incomprehensible hole.

Yes, every thought, every deed. That is a question which raises a conflict in my belief system, "Do you believe in fate, Neo?" and, "What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything?"

Haven't we all been caught out by a snake? What this snake represents in the bible (presume that's the one you're referring to), I am yet to read a theory I would attach myself to. Perhaps it is rebirth and renewal of life (shedding of the skin), perhaps it is Lucifer, I haven't a clue. I am not sure that he is as evil as some think though. I am yet to come across a reason not to pursue knowledge.

Again I don't know how to answer this (recurring theme, I know). Perhaps it is a message misinterpreted much like the Mayan doomsday of 2012?

I am not of any belief system where I take the message of the Bible or the Quran literally. While I have read a significant amount of the Quran I am yet to finish either, and have no urgent plan to.

" The word “homosexuality” didn’t even show up in English translations of the Bible until 1946, so why do we say the Bible condemns it? "

Adam Phillips states that there are 6 passages in the bible referenced as condemning homosexuality, and goes to some length to debunk them. I don't really believe he does a great job of it, but I'll let you be your own judge. He cites ' Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian’s Pilgrimage in Search of God in America ' by Jeff Chu.

Maybe they are one in the same, while human is a derivative of Latin, I find it interesting that the origin and meaning of Hu is God in Hebrew and I am quite confident Egyptian also. God-man.

Edited by A'Villan

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Religion.

Something for weak minded cabbages to feel good about

Coming from the Minister of Cleavage?

Not that there's anything wrong with a great pair of tits.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

All of 'em. Christians, for example: 

“Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.” – (Anonymous)

It's the absurd leap that amuses me. Yoi start off with "So, what caused the big bang? Maybe it was some creator?" Fine, OK. But then the leap to the whole absurd structure of theology. This astonishing primal creator that we can't comprehend... knows our every move. Listens to our prayers. Expects 'worship'. Punishes the naughty (based on what your culture defines as naughty). Has to be followed in particular ways, dress codes, food fads, sexual practices... etc., etc. Arrant nonsense from top to bottom. 

I missed your edit. A well reasoned response, given the content of my posts.

I think you  make a few assumptions and presumptions from the beginning of your 2nd paragraph.

I've never said anything about expecting worship, punishing the naughty, having to be followed in any particular way.

"I'll say what I want, you'll take what you want from it". This might apply to me as well in that I have taken the messages I think are of worth and disregarded the rest when it comes to religion. I am obviously no scholar. Though in the little research I have done, there's always someone putting forward an alternative perspective.

NGO's are the best I've seen at tackling the moral and ethical issues surrounding inequality in society, and some religious ones are at the forefront of that.

46 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Maybe they are one in the same, while human is a derivative of Latin, I find it interesting that the origin and meaning of Hu is God in Hebrew and I am quite confident Egyptian also. God-man.

What's the Hebrew for Velociraptor ?

What's the Egyptian for Kangaroo ?

Etymology is a human construct and differs from tribe to tribe.  It wasn't around during the age of the dinosaurs .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

What's the Hebrew for Velociraptor ?

What's the Egyptian for Kangaroo ?

Etymology is a human construct and differs from tribe to tribe.  It wasn't around during the age of the dinosaurs .

I see what you're saying.

I still see God or the belief in God, as a recognition of a power beyond our understanding.

Whatever the case life is pretty mysterious and weird, but you have certainly given me more than a few angles to consider.

So thanks for your input and challenging what I have to say.

43 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I see what you're saying.

I still see God or the belief in God, as a recognition of a power beyond our understanding.

Whatever the case life is pretty mysterious and weird, but you have certainly given me more than a few angles to consider.

So thanks for your input and challenging what I have to say.

Exactly .

Men created Gods to fill the gaps in their understanding . 

Then a better method came along 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Can you believe in Christianity, but not believe in God?

yes

I definitely believe 100% there is a thing called christianity.

Did you mean, can you be a christian, but not believe in God? 

I believe the term for that is C of E.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Exactly .

Men created Gods to fill the gaps in their understanding . 

Then a better method came along 

I have learned that my original supposition is further flawed.

Pure energy is not spiritual in nature (as far as I'm aware), does not have consciousness and is an impersonal force without mind.

Do you mind sharing your view on three things @Brumerican:

1. What do you think of the overwhelming majority of scholars (atheist included) agreeing that Jesus not only existed, but that his disciples had experiences in which they thought he had arisen from the dead?

2. Do you think Christianity is a bastardisation of an Egyptian/Sumerian religion?

3. Do you think consciousness is a by-product of the human brain, operating in a way similar to a generator, when broken the electricity ceases to be produced, or that consciousness' relationship is more like a t.v signal to a t.v, when the t.v is broken, the signal remains?

I would invite anyone to answer these questions.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Confused 1

1. What do you think of the overwhelming majority of scholars (atheist included) agreeing that Jesus not only existed, but that his disciples had experiences in which they thought he had arisen from the dead?

There were many millenial prophets around that time. Jesus was one of them, but the Jesus stories are probably conflations of several others, later attributed to one person. The fact that some people believed in miraculous/supernatural events is irrelevant. No conclusions can be drawn from folk tales. 

2. Do you think Christianity is a bastardisation of an Egyptian/Sumerian religion?

All religions tend to incorporate elements of earlier ones from the same area. 

3. Do you think consciousness is a by-product of the human brain, operating in a way similar to a generator, when broken the electricity ceases to be produced, or that consciousness' relationship is more like a t.v signal to a t.v, when the t.v is broken, the signal remains?

The former, absolutely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, A'Villan said:

That simply isn't true

As yet there is not a single shred of evidence of Jesus' existence. Not one

Â