All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

22 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My daughter believes in peppa pig, and my son in superheroes. Is that wrong too? Also Santa, which I think is one of the best things to believe in when you're a kid. 

It's not the season for the Santa Lie, my views are pretty well known already in these parts

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Faith school yes. Ok, maybe i didn't take into account assembly, and the pictures on the wall, and there are pictures, because I noticed them the other week. Just out of interest, where did you send your children(child) ? 99.9% of kids will not take it on board in this part of the world, and will quickly dismiss religion. 

Did you quickly dismiss the religion you were indoctrinated into?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

What? What do you believe in that should point you towards religion? I'm just trying to imagine what actually points people towards irrationality and the completely illogical?

Drugs, I would wager in this case. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, limpid said:

Did you quickly dismiss the religion you were indoctrinated into?

Yes

its only been the last few years where I've thought about it. Is it the schools fault? None of my family are religious.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

2 hours ago, bickster said:

You won't force it on them but you'll allow it to go unchallenged for 6 hours a day whilst the kids are in school?

We're in a similar tricky situation with our daughter Bicks. She got placed in a C of E school. I wasn't massively bothered, and we did point out we weren't religious. Bu they do lay it on quite heavily I think. Wife phoned me at work this morning with to report an amusing chat she'd has this morning on the way to school with our daughter. They were discussing trust apparently, and who they trusted the most. My daughter said God. :crylaugh:

I think we might have to have 'the chat' with her at some point. At the moment I view it as quite harmless, a bit like the tooth fairy or father Xmas. I think it'll die out when her belief in those things does too ....

I don't remember a point where I was a believer. At primary school we got the usual hymns and biblical stories. Even then I can remember thinking that these were just stories, they obviously weren't true. And as I got older and learnt more, that only reinforced that these were stories without substance.

Early on in secondary school my nan died. Sorting out the funeral the vicar came and wanted to talk to us. Tell us she was in a better place now. I can still feel the rage that brought up in me.

It's all nonsense.

• Like 1

At least (state) schools these days do acknowledge that there is more than one religion. Even the C of E primary school my kids went to also taught them about Islam and Hinduism. In my day it was cut and dried. I never took a subject called "R.E." - it was called "Scripture". Christianity (protestant, KJV Bible version) was TRUTH. All the other religions were mumbo-jumbo heathen delusions, and their adherents would go to hell if they didn't See The Light, sharpish. The concept of atheism was never even considered. 

I bought this without too much thought, until I was about eleven - when it suddenly dawned on me that this stuff was all pure speculation. I wouldn't have minded  so much if they'd admitted that it was what some people believed. But the fact that it had been taught as if it had the same validity as history or science, absolutely enraged me. It did at least teach me to question what I was told. As The Royal Society's motto has it, "Nullius in verba" - take nobody's word for it. 

Edited by mjmooney

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

At least schools these days do acknowledge that there is more than one religion. Even the C of E primary school my kids went to also taught them about Islam and Hinduism. In my day it was cut and dried. I never took a subject called "R.E." - it was called "Scripture". Christianity (protestant, KJV Bible version) was TRUTH. All the other religions were mumbo-jumbo heathen delusions, and their adherents would go to hell if they didn't See The Light, sharpish. The concept of atheism was never even considered. 

I bought this without too much thought, until I was about eleven - when it suddenly dawned on me that this stuff was all pure speculation. I wouldn't have minded  so much if they'd admitted that it was what some people believed. But the fact that it had been taught as if it had the same validity as history or science, absolutely enraged me. It did at least teach me to question what I was told. As The Royal Society's motto has it, "Nullius in verba" - take nobody's word for it. 

That’s quite a recurring theme of quite a few of the posts in this thread, and it’s not something I recognise at all. I wonder if I just live in an area that’s different, or if the english vs welsh set up is different?

My schooling, I have absolutely no memory of Christianity being pushed in any way. I don’t recall singing hymns in junior school, R.E. as a subject in comp covered all religions plus sexually transmitted diseases. I’ve never learnt the lord’s prayer. I wouldn’t know if any school I ever attended was CofE or CiW or anything. I’m sure they couldn’t have been. I’d have noticed.

But I’ve had kids that have gone through the same system in the same town, but different schools to mine and again I’ve never witnesses a prayer, seen a photo of Jesus on a wall or heard the subject discussed in anything other than those Religious Studies classes, which now include all manner of stuff on racism and community and stuff.

As I say, perhaps I’ve grown up in some weird lefty utopia where everything from nursery to comp is run on strictly 1970’s ideals. 

There are schools around here you can elect to go to, there’s a catholic school that’s apparently quite good. So it’s not like it’s banned or anything. I was always under the impression wales was supposed to be more 'churchy' than england so these recurring anecdotes of a childhood christ encounter are baffling to me.

No idea, genuinely no idea if it’s a quirk of my town, county or country, but I’ll take all your words for it that you were all indoctrinated to various degrees by various versions of Jesus at various ages.

Fascinating really. Perhaps that's why (I think) I'm a bit more relaxed about it? It's kind of optional here, no need to 'resist'. Certainly nothing to get aggressive about.

Thinking about it, of my two kids, I've had one christened and one not. First one we did because that's what you do, second one, just kinda stuff happened and the time passed and then it felt a bit too late to bother. Neither was a big deal either way. We weren't forced in to the first one, we didn't rebel and make a statement on the second one.

Perhaps I'm just a bit too passive.

It may have changed after my school years (1959 to 1972). 

EDIT: I must make an exception for my 6th form, when the 'scripture' teacher taught a (voluntary) 'general studies' course called 'Religion, ethics and philosophy' - which was actually excellent. 

SECOND EDIT: So excellent that I stole the textbooks (and I still have them).  

THIRD EDIT: The irony of stealing a book called "Teach Yourself Ethics" was not lost on me. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Surely it comes down to how parents raise their kids rather than what they learn about the bible and or other religions at school.  I did learn some of the bible stories in primary school and we sang hymns (though we sang more Beatles songs) but nothing really stuck, probably because my folks made no attempt to take me to church and I wasn't even Christened.  RE was a doss lesson at secondary school but we did actually learn about other religions pretty much equally so had its uses in understanding other people.  I doubt I know one deeply religious person.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My school experience would be through the 70's and in to the 80's, my kids from the late 90's to present.

At my Primary school (in the 70's) we were taught two things pretty much every day:

1. Christianity was fantastic in every way possible, God was everywhere and every other religion was evil.

2. The only good German was a dead German. My wife finds it incredible that I know the words to every single OTT jingoistic WW2 song going.

So yeah, basically 'Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition' 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â