General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

But i've noticed that someone say MM or GMac will go very short odds, yet they will only remain there for 12 horus tops. Rafa has been short odds now for a while so it will be interestign t osee if they continure to drop or drift out.

YankeeinMadrid is an ITK and said we had approached Benitez.

I would see it as a long shot that we could get him. In my opinion this would be a fantastic appointment.

He may not be an open attacking manager but he knows how to win games and that is good enough for me.

It is actually quite dangerous to play in a very open attacking way if you haven't got the players to do it. That's why Wigan are always down the bottom because they lose so many games. Same for Blackpool the year before.

In contrast to AM who seemed to think a managers job was just to gee up the players Benitez is tactically brilliant and individually has a large effect on games.

If FSG dont want him at Plop then I cant see how he can get a bigger job than us in England. He clearly still wants to manage here but is waiting for the right time. Didn't want to do it last year and be on a hiding to nothing like AM.

If Randy shows he can invest to at least get us challenging for Europe if not CL then it might, might be enough to tempt him.

His trackrecord in WBA and the fact that he uses SHIT NEGATIVE tactics.

Oh do me a favour. Maybe he should have played a 2-5-2 with 10 men and cech as sweeper, or instead pre-emptively throw the game and capitulate to a team that would quite obviously have beaten them with 11 men, let alone 10, if they hadn't 'parked the bus' as some so eloquently point out.

If you enjoy watching your incessant sideways and often backwards tiki-taka predominantly used in their own half, with very little penetration in the opposing, then that's your right but don't try and make out it's the only way to win a football match without being 'negative'.

I don't want RDM as manager mainly due to his spell at WBA, managing similar quality players as he will have to with us, but trying to discredit his and his team's double this year by the fashion with which they were attained, is utter ignorance.

Point taken, and maybe I should've put my message a little differently. I don't like the style you say in the second paragraph - in fact the style that italian national team uses (or used) for example is pretty boring to watch.

Chelsea was lucky in the CL final though, and partly because Bayern wasted couple chances.

YankeeinMadrid is an ITK and said we had approached Benitez.

I would see it as a long shot that we could get him. In my opinion this would be a fantastic appointment.

He may not be an open attacking manager but he knows how to win games and that is good enough for me.

It is actually quite dangerous to play in a very open attacking way if you haven't got the players to do it. That's why Wigan are always down the bottom because they lose so many games. Same for Blackpool the year before.

In contrast to AM who seemed to think a managers job was just to gee up the players Benitez is tactically brilliant and individually has a large effect on games.

If FSG dont want him at Plop then I cant see how he can get a bigger job than us in England. He clearly still wants to manage here but is waiting for the right time. Didn't want to do it last year and be on a hiding to nothing like AM.

If Randy shows he can invest to at least get us challenging for Europe if not CL then it might, might be enough to tempt him.

Yes thats why i want him... Means we are getting loads of money to invest. Might even get Torres on the cheap :lol:

Regarding the odds, i was watching betfair and Raffa came in from 36-1 to 10-1 in 15mins. This wouldn't take so much money, but to move him from 10-1 to 5/2 would take allot lot more. Here is hoping anyway. My money is still on Poyet anyway from a personal financial gain perspective.

I want manager who gets us to play entertaining football, there's a reason why Euro 2004 is considered one of the worst ones is because Greece played with very boring defensive tactics. It's true that open attacking tactics can be suicide but for playing to be entertaining doesn't have to open attacking.

I want manager who gets us to play entertaining football, there's a reason why Euro 2004 is considered one of the worst ones is because Greece played with very boring defensive tactics. It's true that open attacking tactics can be suicide but for playing to be entertaining doesn't have to open attacking.

I just want to win football matches and get as far as possible in cup competitions and the league.

People have short memories it seems. Can't understand the enthusiasm about Benitez becoming manager. Liverpool played largely dull football under him. Would hope for a manager with a more positive approach.

The only reason i'd want Rafa is because appointing him would mean we have money to spend, but then upon realising we have money to spend, I would have preferred someone else to spend it ;)

I just can't see it happening though.

People have short memories it seems.

They do indeed. Though in fairness, with Benitez I think some don't even realise that ALL of his winning football was done with Pako Ayesteran as #2. Benitez on his own has proven to be shit. I don't want him near us. It would be a disaster.

People have short memories it seems. Can't understand the enthusiasm about Benitez becoming manager. Liverpool played largely dull football under him. Would hope for a manager with a more positive approach.

Granted they did in the last year he was there. I disagree with the previous years, they were actually good to watch. Only thing i would worry about Benitez coming is that if a massive club came in for him if he was doing well at Villa, he would be away like a shot.

The only reason i'd want Rafa is because appointing him would mean we have money to spend, but then upon realising we have money to spend, I would have preferred someone else to spend it ;)

Yeah and watch him spend it on shite like him did at Liverpool. Plus he pretty much ignored the youth system.

They played good football in his second last season during the second half of the season when they appeared so far out of contention he released the shackles. The next season he reverted to type.

Granted they did in the last year he was there. I disagree with the previous years, they were actually good to watch. Only thing i would worry about Benitez coming is that if a massive club came in for him if he was doing well at Villa, he would be away like a shot.

Surely any manager would be like that though (unless they had a really good thing going at their clubs?)

BOF - had forgotten about Pako, Good point. Although, what is he doing now? Could he link up with Rafa again?

I'm losing the will now with it all in all fairness and just want someone that can offer some good entertaining football.

A lot thought that OGS was left field, hadn't even been considered, known about by the fans as a possible successor to AM but on the day of the sacking his odds were relatively short 10s - 20s compared to other "unknowns". Straight after the Bolton game someone was ITK (as to the possibility of OGS) it seems and got 10s.

I think that AMs replacement has been planned for sometime and have to put my faith in RL getting it right this year....surely he has had enough of paying managers compensation when he sacks them for being inept

Yeah and watch him spend it on shite like him did at Liverpool. Plus he pretty much ignored the youth system.

They played good football in his second last season during the second half of the season when they appeared so far out of contention he released the shackles. The next season he reverted to type.

All the Liverpool and Valencia fans would have him back tomorrow if they had the chance, which says allot in my books. More than I can say about the likes of RDM with regards the WBA and Chelsea fans.

I think managers have a kind of 'shelf-life' where thier tactics or their footballing ethos first rises, then reaches its peak and finally declines.

Rafa I feel is in the later. Yes he WAS a very good manager no doubt, he won the CL FFS. However I personally feel he's lost some of his magic and he's certainly not the manager he was seven years ago.

I think what I'm trying to say is that, Villa need (and I would much prefer) a rising star to a fading beauty.