General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end terribly like last year and we get someone like mcarthy
Think people are going to start setting themselves on fire in front of VP if that happens.

Mysteryman and Gaztonvilla have been suspiciously quiet...

After the public ho-ha of the last approach, do you blame them? Plus I think after that rebuff they now know about as much as we do. Remember last year? For all I know we could be talking to Shearer

Mysteryman and Gaztonvilla have been suspiciously quiet...

After the public ho-ha of the last approach, do you blame them? Plus I think after that rebuff they now know about as much as we do. Remember last year? For all I know we could be talking to Shearer

To be fair to MM, I don't remember him ever saying we were nailed on to get OGS.

rl and pf will look like fools if they appoint rafa as he is not young and dynamic like they said they were looking for!

I am not for Benitez, and he might not fit the description of what Faulkner said, but I wouldn’t think it made them look like fools. More than a few people would see it as quite a coup; certainly more so than appointing many of the managers who have been associated with this process. Some people might even say it was a statement of intent. Some might say if he were backed properly he might attract some decent players.

Again he’s not my choice, but preferable to say McLeish or McCarthy (not that thats saying much!)

I think managers have a kind of 'shelf-life' where thier tactics or their footballing ethos first rises, then reaches its peak and finally declines.

Rafa I feel is in the later. Yes he WAS a very good manager no doubt, he won the CL FFS. However I personally feel he's lost some of his magic and he's certainly not the manager he was seven years ago.

I think what I'm trying to say is that, Villa need (and I would much prefer) a rising star to a fading beauty.

Totally disagree! That would mean that SAF is who has managed the same club for over 20 years should have passed his best a long time ago. And Arsene Wenger, how many years has he managed Arsenal?

There is a lot of managers who has been managing for a long time and still are very very good. Bielsa in Bilbao is certainly not a newcomer and neither are Capello and a number of other competent managers.

I think that age factor is more likely to link with lack of motivation that managers get when they are getting older and/or has won a lot of titles.

Furthermore the key is to get a manager that fits the situation the club is in, can work well together with the board and senior staff at the club and is widely accepted by the fans which insures him the time needed to change a clubs direction even if the initial results on the pitch are not what the fans expect.

So we havent approached Lambert or Martinez but have approached OGS and Rafa, OGS has pulled out, and yet the rumour is that the board want Lambert.

Surely if you have a no1 target you approach them to see if they are interested before discounting the also rans?

Di Matteos record since taking the reins at Chelsea

FA - Birmingham (a) 2-0w

PL - Stoke (h) 1-0w

CL - Napoli (h) 4-1w a.e.t.

FA - Leicester (h) 5-2w

PL - Man City (a) 2-1L

PL - Spurs (h) 0-0d

CL - Benfica (a) 1-0w

PL - Villa (a) 4-2w

CL - Benfica (h) 2-1w

PL - Wigan (h) 2-1w

PL - Fulham (a) 1-1d

FA - Spurs (n) 5-1w

CL - Barca (h) 1-0w

PL - Arsenal (a) 0-0d

CL - Barca (a) 2-2d

PL - QPR (h) 6-1w

PL - Newc (h) 2-0L

FA - Liver (n) 2-1w

PL - Liver (a) 4-1L

PL - Bburn (h) 2-1

CL - Bayern (n) 1-1 4-3 pens

I think managers have a kind of 'shelf-life' where thier tactics or their footballing ethos first rises, then reaches its peak and finally declines.

Rafa I feel is in the later. Yes he WAS a very good manager no doubt, he won the CL FFS. However I personally feel he's lost some of his magic and he's certainly not the manager he was seven years ago.

I think what I'm trying to say is that, Villa need (and I would much prefer) a rising star to a fading beauty.

Totally disagree! That would mean that SAF is who has managed the same club for over 20 years should have passed his best a long time ago. And Arsene Wenger, how many years has he managed Arsenal?

There is a lot of managers who has been managing for a long time and still are very very good. Bielsa in Bilbao is certainly not a newcomer and neither are Capello and a number of other competent managers.

I think that age factor is more likely to link with lack of motivation that managers get when they are getting older and/or has won a lot of titles.

Furthermore the key is to get a manager that fits the situation the club is in, can work well together with the board and senior staff at the club and is widely accepted by the fans which insures him the time needed to change a clubs direction even if the initial results on the pitch are not what the fans expect.

Who mentioned any timescale or any age limits? I very much consider SAF and Wenger to still be at their peak.

Di Matteos record since taking the reins at Chelsea

FA - Birmingham (a) 2-0w

PL - Stoke (h) 1-0w

CL - Napoli (h) 4-1w a.e.t.

FA - Leicester (h) 5-2w

PL - Man City (a) 2-1L

PL - Spurs (h) 0-0d

CL - Benfica (a) 1-0w

PL - Villa (a) 4-2w

CL - Benfica (h) 2-1w

PL - Wigan (h) 2-1w

PL - Fulham (a) 1-1d

FA - Spurs (n) 5-1w

CL - Barca (h) 1-0w

PL - Arsenal (a) 0-0d

CL - Barca (a) 2-2d

PL - QPR (h) 6-1w

PL - Newc (h) 2-0L

FA - Liver (n) 2-1w

PL - Liver (a) 4-1L

PL - Bburn (h) 2-1

CL - Bayern (n) 1-1 4-3 pens

How about his last 12 games for Albion?

Last 12 WBA games from oldest to most recent

LWLLLLLLWLDL

The above also includes going out of both cups to lower league opposition (Ipswich & Reading).

Last 12 WBA games from oldest to most recent

LWLLLLLLWLDL

The above also includes going out of both cups to lower league opposition (Ipswich & Reading).

That is why he was sacked and most Albion fans were delighted.

How many times does it need to be said... NO TO ROBERTO DI MATTEO.

I don't care if he won the FA Cup and Champions League.

He inherited a good squad which we DO NOT have and used negative tactics. There are better candidates out there and I would be extremely disappointed if he was appointed.