General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

RDM woukd be OK. Turned around Chelsea's failing season & won them the FA Cup & the CL?

Hmmm. Should be good enough even for the "mighty" Villa. :winkold:

Sums it up really, the state we are in we would be lucky to get a manager who has just won the european cup.

But some would rather put a bunch of conjecture on it to criticise what he achieved for some reason. All the more confusing considering the hysteria over solskjaer, a guy who has done nothing in management.

Really don`t understand what di matteo has done wrong to turn people against him.

RDM woukd be OK. Turned around Chelsea's failing season & won them the FA Cup & the CL?

Sums it up really, the state we are in we would be lucky to get a manager who has just won the european cup.

But some would rather put a bunch of conjecture on it to criticise what he achieved for some reason. All the more confusing considering the hysteria over solskjaer, a guy who has done nothing in management.

Really don`t understand what di matteo has done wrong to turn people against him.

His trackrecord in WBA and the fact that he uses SHIT NEGATIVE tactics.

It's more than he hasn't really proven anything at Chelsea that would make people think he'd be a success at Villa. He took a side that AVB failed to change around and restored the old guard and played some very defensive football in order to get a few very good results.

If what Villa need is some kind of top to bottom revolution then all RDM has shown so far is that he can do the opposite.

At his other management job at WBA he didn't do all that well either.

Its the boring factor if you ask me.

FWIW I totally agree with you but..

RDM, RM, Rafa, PL, KMac etc (albeit some ppl want some of them) - are boring because we are aware of them. There obvious. OGS on the other hand, is totally different so is quite exciting.

The thought that some people (including me) are turning their nose up at two european cup winners, is, when you think about it, ridiculous given the size/state of the club.

And those that scrutinise the way RDM won it - probably dont give it two thoughts that our 1982 win was one of the flukiest in european history.

that Rutten win percentage on Wikipedia cant be true. He lost 6 games in 3 seasons at PSV and won nothing
It isn't, he's lost more than 6 games. I make it 18 in all competitions. Wikifail.

For me personally I don't think he is actually that good a manager.

His record before that Chelsea gig was a poor run at West Brom and a spell at Milton Keynes.

Even at Chelsea where he is being hailed as a revelation, his record in the league is actually worse then when they had AVB which everyone agrees was a crap return for Chelsea.

He played a defensive style in the Cups, Chelsea road their luck for a handful of games and the senior players played out of their skins for their last chance to win something.

There is a reason why Abramovich isn't actually rushing to sign him up for a full season league campaign though. DiMattio is another Avram Grant.

His trackrecord in WBA and the fact that he uses SHIT NEGATIVE tactics.

But don`t let context or thought get in the way will you.

At WBA he was gettign a lot of praise, then he had a bad run, they got rid of him to get hodgson in.

As far as he negative tactics go, he used those tactics(although i disagree with you) to defeat the best team in the world over two legs and then win the european cup.

Again, we need to look at our own situation, we only just stayed in the league last season, he is more than good enough for us at this moment in time.

I agree woodytom, we are not in a position to turn our noses up at these people.

It's more to do with the cups wins seem the exception rather than the norm. I know it sounds daft....

It's what RDM has already shown he is capable of in the league that puts someone off. OGS is an unknown, therefore creating a buzz. Throw in a good footballing philosophy and the fact that he won his league at the first time of asking and you can understand the hype. He's definitely got potential!

RDM had an OK win percentage with a better squad than ours at Chelsea, and a poor record with a similar level squad at the Boggies, hence not wanted here. The European Cup win is a huge achievement, blessed with a huge amount of luck, but I neither see him overhauling the team, revolutionising the style of play or consistently producing wins in the league.

Not sure what he's like in the transfer market either, plus his old team mate Poyet would be a better bet, so I don't see an argument for him.

Why don't Chelsea want to keep the manager that brought them glory anyway?

I agree that RDM played more positively in some games than given credit for. But when he came up against what he saw as superior or similarly able sides, he shut up shop rather than go for it. With Villa that would be a whole lot more often than with Chelsea.

It's more to do with the cups wins seem the exception rather than the norm. I know it sounds daft....

It's what RDM has already shown he is capable of in the league that puts someone off. OGS is an unknown, therefore creating a buzz. Throw in a good footballing philosophy and the fact that he won his league at the first time of asking and you can understand the hype. He's definitely got potential!

RDM had an OK win percentage with a better squad than ours at Chelsea, and a poor record with a similar level squad at the Boggies, hence not wanted here. The European Cup win is a huge achievement, blessed with a huge amount of luck, but I neither see him overhauling the team, revolutionising the style of play or consistently producing wins in the league.

Not sure what he's like in the transfer market either, plus his old team mate Poyet would be a better bet, so I don't see an argument for him.

Fair points mate.

I think chelsea can get someone better, but can we?

I think the antipathy towards Di Matteo stems from the fact that his achievements have been based more on unifying a discontented and under-achieveing squad rather than instilling a football philosophy and style of play. That's not to denigrate what he has done. He deserves a huge amount of credit for having managed to do that and win the ultimate prize to boot. He could do well at Villa, who knows? But the set of circumstances and the requirements are totally different to those he found at Chelsea. Basically, by pandering to the egos of the likes of Terry, Lampard and Drogba he got them to play to the best of their abilities again but that doesn't mean that AVB had incorrectly assessed what was required at Chelsea, he just went about it in the wrong fashion.

My choice for the Villa job would be Bielsa. He has done a truly incredible job at Athletic. He managed to instill a style of play that blended the passing game of Barça with a high tempo verve more reminiscent of the Premiership in matter of a few months. This was, of course, achieved without being able to go out and make wholesale changes to the team by signing new players due to the restriction of only being able to play Basque born players. they have been a joy to watch this season.

He may not fit the bill as a young energetic coach, but who cares?

Fair points mate.

What about Michael Laudrup or someone else from the central/western europe? Bernd Schuster might be also gettable.

Fair points mate.

What about Michael Laudrup or someone else from the central/western europe? Bernd Schuster might be also gettable.

I`m not against those guys at all, i think we do have some good options, i just think di matteo should be getting a bit more credit.

RDM will be a massive mistake!

I thought that initially but the more I think of it the more Im warming to him to be honest its not like he employed those tactics against QPR ( or Napoli for the matter) when he won 6-0 and I dont think Chelsea would have had a chance had the tried to play Barca or Bayern at the respective games.

Fair points mate.

It would be remiss to say that the chap shouldn't be thought of for the job, but I think better candidates are actually (potentially) available to us too.

You are right in the sense that a team like Chelsea should have a greater pick than us, but we are arguably in a better position to take a risk on potential, like an OGS or Poyet, as once they have shown that potential on a bigger stage, they no longer become options for us.

If, and I know it is a big ask, but IF one could look passed the cup games, which he got tactically right in the sense that he won the games, but also got a huge slice of luck in poor finishing and penalty misses, so could conceivably have lost (certainly the final), and concentrated on the bread and butter league form, dressing room unity, transfer nouse, style of play, then I don't think he ticks as many boxes as some other candidates.

I liken him to an average salesman that never really excels throughout the year but lands one big account out of the blue to boost his rep. We need a bit more than that I think.

I see the rumors are doing the rounds again this morning regarding Raffa and the Villa job. Into favourite, not sure if that’s because of the rumors or if someone is ITK. I haven’t seen anything to give me hope, anyone else?

When I say hope, if he comes we have a war chest!

Alex McLeish got a lot of stick for parking the bus against the 'elite clubs'. Granted against Barcelona I guess you can say it's acceptable, but even in the final itself against a Bayern team who are pretty much equal to Chelsea? I don't think so, and I can just see him employing the same tactics whenever we go to the 'Theatre of Dreams' etc.