General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

McKeish won the carling cup with birmingham, to do that with such a poor team is similar to RMD's achievement. And we all know what a fantastic coup McLeish was for us.

Why not even go for Avram Grant? It was only Sir John Terry's scuffed shot that cost him the CL title, he's proven his class since too!

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end terribly like last year and we get someone like mcarthy

We should not be considering managers who have been recently sacked and deemed not good enough for other clubs.

That should rule out the likes of Bruce, McCarthy and Benitez.

We need to be looking for young up and coming managers like OGS, Martinez or Poyet.

We should also be considering the whole of Europe. I don't know enough about European football to give an informed opinion, but RL and PF should. The trouble is after their last two appointments I reckon their football knowledge is very poor. Most Villa fans could have told them that there were better opinions. Why do you think Liverpool got rid of Houllier, same reason as Benitez - he had lost the plot.

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end terribly like last year and we get someone like mcarthy

We should not be considering managers who have been recently sacked and deemed not good enough for other clubs.

That should rule out the likes of Bruce, McCarthy and Benitez.

We need to be looking for young up and coming managers like OGS, Martinez or Poyet.

We should also be considering the whole of Europe. I don't know enough about European football to give an informed opinion, but RL and PF should. The trouble is after their last two appointments I reckon their football knowledge is very poor. Most Villa fans could have told them that there were better opinions. Why do you think Liverpool got rid of Houllier, same reason as Benitez - he had lost the plot.

If Ranieri is being interviewed by the boggies we'd best be **** interviewing him too.

I doubt he'd fit the "vibrant" criterion that's been bandied about, and I think Randy & Pauly are also looking for someone younger.

It's not clear yet whether Ranieri has been interviewed alone by the Baggies, or in tandem with Ray Wilkins. Personally I'd welcome them with open arms right now!

McKeish won the carling cup with birmingham, to do that with such a poor team is similar to RMD's achievement. And we all know what a fantastic coup McLeish was for us.

Why not even go for Avram Grant? It was only Sir John Terry's scuffed shot that cost him the CL title, he's proven his class since too!

Please No. Would bring in more old flops and do nothing for the clubs youngsters. That would be an awful appointment. Anyones better than mccarthy but grants no good.

If Ranieri is being interviewed by the boggies we'd best be **** interviewing him too.

I doubt he'd fit the "vibrant" criterion that's been bandied about, and I think Randy & Pauly are also looking for someone younger.

It's not clear yet whether Ranieri has been interviewed alone by the Baggies, or in tandem with Ray Wilkins. Personally I'd welcome them with open arms right now!

I think the vibrant thing has gone. Don't forget when he made that statement:-

OGS - has probably indicated he was interested

Liverpool - Weren't looking for a manager (Now looks like they have first refusal on Martinez)

Lambert - was tight lipped about his future

So when he made that statement - he was probably referring to OGS - and even if something went wrong he had Martinez.

We should have done the deal with OGS on the friday - who were these other people we were waiting to speaking to....Simon Grayson, Glen Hoddle ?

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews

Sky Sources: Ray Wilkins & Claudio Ranieri have held talks with West Brom over vacant head coach's job #SSN

I can see Wilkins trying to get his name forward for the Villa job..

All I can see at the moment is that the baggies appear to be showing more ambition than ourselves. This is frightening! Lerner and Faulkner can both do one if they think I will be buying a season ticket without seeing who we get in as manager. I've completely had enough of the board and their lack of ambition and lack of understanding Villa. Things weren't great under Ellis but generally if we were shit one season the next would be more positive and I just don't see that happening with the current board.

Villa although not the club we used to be are still one of the biggest clubs in the country and in Europe, with great facilities, youth system and fan base. We pay good wages for supposedly top managers. If we are not attracting the right personel it's because the board can't sell the club to the right people. Before you know it we will be into continuing the farce started last summer.

Lambert has yet to prove himself, surviving one season in the premier doesn't justify giving him the job. Norwich would as a whole have been very motivated and underestimated last season. Let's see how he gets on next year. Martinez, isn't going to choose us over Liverpool if they offer him the job and let's be fair, all he has proven is that in the last few weeks of a season he can survive- well I don't just want us to survive. And the other managers linked, Bruce, Hoddle, Curbishley, etc. What a bag of shit. We should be looking at top managers not championship managers!

I think the vibrant thing has gone. Don't forget when he made that statement:-

OGS - has probably indicated he was interested

Liverpool - Weren't looking for a manager (Now looks like they have first refusal on Martinez)

Lambert - was tight lipped about his future

So when he made that statement - he was probably referring to OGS - and even if something went wrong he had Martinez.

We should have done the deal with OGS on the friday - who were these other people we were waiting to speaking to....Simon Grayson, Glen Hoddle ?

What are you basing the statement on? The club has made no noise on who they are considering. How do you know that it it isn't someone vibrant abroad? Talk about jumping to conclusions

I think managers have a kind of 'shelf-life' where thier tactics or their footballing ethos first rises, then reaches its peak and finally declines.

Rafa I feel is in the later. Yes he WAS a very good manager no doubt, he won the CL FFS. However I personally feel he's lost some of his magic and he's certainly not the manager he was seven years ago.

I think what I'm trying to say is that, Villa need (and I would much prefer) a rising star to a fading beauty.

Totally disagree! That would mean that SAF is who has managed the same club for over 20 years should have passed his best a long time ago. And Arsene Wenger, how many years has he managed Arsenal?

There is a lot of managers who has been managing for a long time and still are very very good. Bielsa in Bilbao is certainly not a newcomer and neither are Capello and a number of other competent managers.

I think that age factor is more likely to link with lack of motivation that managers get when they are getting older and/or has won a lot of titles.

Furthermore the key is to get a manager that fits the situation the club is in, can work well together with the board and senior staff at the club and is widely accepted by the fans which insures him the time needed to change a clubs direction even if the initial results on the pitch are not what the fans expect.

Who mentioned any timescale or any age limits? I very much consider SAF and Wenger to still be at their peak.

Sorry I got the impression that you meant Benitez although a very successful manager had passed his best before date and that was due to the age factor.

I don’t believe that at all. I think the problems he had at the end at plop, was more or less the same everybody involved with the club had with Hicks and Gillett. The club was in serious financial problems which seemed to be ignored by the two previous owners. There was constant friction between Benitez and Hicks and Gillett regarding backing and so on.

At Inter he came to a club that just won the CL, although with luck beating Barca. It wasn’t easy to succeed after Mourinhos departure with a team that was moving backwards and with teams like Juventus and Milan moving forward. Juventus that had been relegated to Serie B was on the way up again and which meant that Inter had a lot more completion than the previous years with Mourinho. And Milan was again trying to pick up lost ground by investing heavily in players like Zlatan.

So I don’t believe Rafa had an easy task at Inter with fans expecting success and taking over after Mourinho which has been very hard even in Chelsea, that haven’t been the same since he left taking the CL win that was although a great achievement very lucky.

Saying this, Rafa is not my first choice. I was in the OGS in brigade and think a young manager like Martinez or AVB would be ideal for us. But if we sign Benitez I would welcome him with open arms and I think he would be able to attract quality players and it would be a statement from the board that we are heading back for Europe.