General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Im a big fan of Martinez so sorry to be pedantic Julie, but didn't Bruce sign those players?

Apologies he did..... but they played really well under RM IIRC and he has picked up a few decent players himself.

People also forget the legacy that Martinez founded at Swansea which Brendan Rodgers built on and got them to the PL.

Thing is though Julie, he had time on his side with Swansea and laid those foundations down in the doldrums of the lower leagues.

He would not be afforded that same time in the Prem sadly.

It's hard not to like Martinez as a person, always speaks eloquently and appears a genuinely nice person however, this does not qualify someone to manage Aston Villa and his overall win percentage in the Premier League I should imagine is pretty sub-standard irrespective of who he's managed.

Thing is though Julie, he had time on his side with Swansea and laid those foundations down in the doldrums of the lower leagues.

It's hard not to like Martinez as a person, always speaks eloquently and appears a genuinely nice person however, this does not qualify someone to manage Aston Villa and his overall win percentage in the Premier League I should imagine is pretty sub-standard irrespective of who he's managed

Not saying he'd be my first choice... but HE was responsible for building the foundations at Swansea and Brendan Rodgers capitalised and added

his own input which got them into the PL

I disagree - Martinez would have solid foundations in place regarding the academy etc - and better tools to work with than at Wigan, apart from

the dross that needs shifting..... it's the first team that needs the immediate attention.

He would also possibly look at making better use of players abroad, which would assist with getting us re-established in the top of the league without costing an arm & a leg immediately to supplement what we already have and the graduates we have coming through etc

I wouldn't mine Poyet to be honest, he's young, plays good football, doesn't take any nonsense and will play the youngsters (brought through youngsters @ Brighton).

Fits most of the catagories despite the Suarez incident....

It's hard not to like Martinez as a person, always speaks eloquently and appears a genuinely nice person however, this does not qualify someone to manage Aston Villa and his overall win percentage in the Premier League I should imagine is pretty sub-standard irrespective of who he's managed

Not saying he'd be my first choice... but HE was responsible for building the foundations at Swansea and Brendan Rodgers capitalised and added

his own input which got them into the PL

I disagree - Martinez would have solid foundations in place regarding the academy etc - and better tools to work with than at Wigan, apart from

the dross that needs shifting..... it's the first team that needs the immediate attention.

He would also possibly look at making better use of players abroad.

My doubt with Martinez is that seems to go for south american players which tend to be very hit'n'miss, would rather get manager who knows central/southern european leagues because those players have probably better chance of succeeding in PL.

It's equally exciting and frustrating. We have no idea currently who the board are considering. The one person we could be sure about was OGS and that has fallen through. Whilst it is frustrating that we the fans have no idea it has brought a sense of suspense and excitement. It could go both ways at this stage and i forever remain an optimist, albeit a naive one.

My doubt with Martinez is that seems to go for south american players which tend to be very hit'n'miss, would rather get manager who knows central/southern european leagues because those players have probably better chance of succeeding in PL.

Yeah but it would be nice to find another Juan Pablo Angel.

I wouldn't mine Poyet to be honest, he's young, plays good football, doesn't take any nonsense and will play the youngsters (brought through youngsters @ Brighton).

I myself have been warming to the idea of Poyet, attracted Vicente to Brighton, unless he is homosexual, thats pretty impressive.

I myself have been warming to the idea of Poyet, attracted Vicente to Brighton, unless he is homosexual, thats pretty impressive.

Agreed, he looks outside of the Uk for players and as you say with Vicente who is a class act IMO he's not scared to go out and buy a player whos got a bigger reputation that the club.

From H&V:

Just been informed by a mate that its worth sticking some money on Gus Poyet. This is the same mate that told me about robbie keane signing for us 2 weeks before it made the news. currently at 10/1

Hopefully true!