General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I'm coming to the conclusion that appointing the right man is going to be a near impossible task. Therefore I propose Gareth Southgate.

Had some good times at 'Boro before getting them relegated. Very unfortunate too be relegated with Bruno Alves missing sitter after sitter.

I would worry about hiring a manager who thought that he had signed Bruno Alves, when he had actually signed Afonso Alves :winkold:

LOL yes that was him. he missed chance after chance never seen anything like it.

I'm coming to the conclusion that appointing the right man is going to be a near impossible task. Therefore I propose Gareth Southgate.

He's Villa.

He was touted by Wenger as good enough to be the England Manager.

Highly intelligent and knows his stuff.

Nice guy players would want to play for.

Had some good times at 'Boro before getting them relegated. Very unfortunate too be relegated with Bruno Alves missing sitter after sitter.

I'm feeling good, so good, that McLeish has gone, but to discover Southgate in charge would make me puke.

stewie2218814qr.gif

Enough of the recommendations from other managers too.

Didn't Rijkaard say he was interested in the job last year? I'm sure he could be tempted away from the Saudi national team. Not saying he is my first choice but I think it would be an interesting appointment if he was given enough time to build his own team like he did in Spain.

Hmmm, given enough time.....Villa supporters........how does 6 weeks grab you Frank? :winkold:

My mate mentioned Ralf Rangnick...hadn't heard much about him myself but his stats look good....again health issues would be a concern..

What would people's thoughts be on someone "left field" like this? Like the wolves situation maybe?

Saw new odds recently that put Martinez at almost even money.

I think he bookies, just like the rest of us, do not have any clue.

Martinez was top choice, apparently, 12 months ago, so nailed on favourite in the absence of any real information.

Didn't Rijkaard say he was interested in the job last year? I'm sure he could be tempted away from the Saudi national team. Not saying he is my first choice but I think it would be an interesting appointment if he was given enough time to build his own team like he did in Spain.

Only if he brought all that Saudi money with him. :lol:

DI MATTEO!!!!

No they wouldn't he isn't that good. League form hasn't been that impressive, plus the chelsea "in boys" like him so will play for him. Think he would get walked over.

But surely having a good spirit around with fan support will fire the players? I'm just too happy and optimistic right now, it's a feeling I haven't had with Villa for 3 years...

Hoddle made a fist of the wolves job, not the right person for me.

I am also dubious of the rhetoric that is spouted on the telly talking about it and doing it is 2 different things.

I would prefer a quiet confident, type like Saunders, who has little to say.who prefers to show you not tell you.

We need someone more than ever who has an eye for a player, who is confident in the transfer market.Someone who puts big store in a scouting system.

A builder, not a live for today, sod tomorrow merchant.

We need someone who can fulfil their own full potential with us and grow with the club and bond with us.

It needs to be a man on the way up, not on the way down.Experience can be an over valued word.... I much prefer natural Nous any day.

some of the so called Experienced managers have had their moments... we need one to have their best moments with us.

That man could even be one we have never heard of....send out a search party.

But my message to Randy is....for christ sake don't ask/listen to Sir Alex ...He is a past master of selling you a pig in a poke.

Di Matteo is only doing well at Chelsea because he is managing Chelsea.. I know AVB struggled to do the same job, but he lost the dressing room. All Di Matteo has done is used his friendship which is not a managerial skill to unite the dressing room, the rest is doing itself as it is Chelsea one of the best teams in the league and one of the best in Europe. Managing a club like that shouldn't be hard provided the players like you..

Seems Martinez and Lambert maybe the front runners.

I think we might need a figure head above them if we got either in. GH as DOF anyone? Or something along those lines?

I reckon it could be someone completely out of left field. Both Houllier and McLeish took us by surprise.

Quite a few VTers won a fair bit of money when Houllier was appointed........

Only cos a certain person tracked Lerner's trip to Corsica!

2 + 2 = 5 et al..... :winkold:

Southgate sounds good, but would need some reassurance, as he left our club due to our lack of ambition, seeing us sell off the best players to our rivals. Certainly a great defender. Funny enough the same happened when he was manager of Boro, all the players he got playing well were sold off, thus relegation. Unsustainable really.

certainly a gentleman and a class act.

On a side note, i got one of his shirts from the euro 96, as my aunt was a cleaner at the club at the time, and she asked him for me, saying that her nephew had come all the way from germany and all that. Though having a shirt from a missed penalty shooter is not really something to be proud of I suppose. still great player, and great team player. Don`t know if he is still in management though. Sounds like an unlikely call.

Zola has been doing well in Italy, and certainly has a great understanding of the game. Unlikely after his rough time at WHUFC, but still a good man manager, and seems to have a plan.

Forget Martinez, highly unlikely. "Dear Roberto, you turned us down last year but please will you reconsider again this year" I think Randy and Co have more pride than that and rightly so. He's a myth anyway nearly gets Wigan relegated every year then gets plaudits when they survive by the skin of their teeth. Wigan get 40 million + sky money every season like the rest of us so the 'poor small club' card is a myth as well. Look up Levante who finished 5th in La Liga for a truly "poor" club.

But my message to Randy is....for christ sake don't ask/listen to Sir Alex ...He is a past master of selling you a pig in a poke.

"So you'll send a letter to Randy? That'll nay **** work.....would it?"

_59657369_fergusonmckleish.jpg

My mate mentioned Ralf Rangnick...hadn't heard much about him myself but his stats look good....again health issues would be a concern..

What would people's thoughts be on someone "left field" like this? Like the wolves situation maybe?

Rangnick is called the prof. here in Germany. After training the VFB reserves, trained regional liga Team Ofterdingen(way above their weight), then took Ulm to the top division, was promptly taken by Stuttgart, who got CL (and beat Man U in their group), was then poached away to Schalke, where he twice got close to the title. Pressure of fans expectation was too much for him (even more fickle than Villa fans), then resigned. Haven`t heard from him since, but certainly a manager with a plan, and has had undoubted success wherever he has been. Don`t know if he would cut with the pressure in the Prem though, although his english is quite funny to listen to.

Brendan Rodgers might be a good shout as well. Just reading Pat Murphy bigging him up good style.

Please can he bring Dyer & Sinclair from glorious Wales with him.

No to Rodgers, one season wonder IMO and he was awful at Reading.

I'm not sure Lambert is the answer either, Coyle was flavour of the month last year and he has hardly had a great season with Bolton.

I would prefer someone with a proven record in the Premier League like Rafa, Hoddle or at worst Martinez.

The style of play that Lambert's team have played for the past couple of years far out weigh that of any Owen Coyle team. Lambert has driven Norwich to great success and brought them from a sliding mess to a great footballing team who go out to win every game.

Martinez seems to be flavour of the month but people tend to forget how awful Wigan were for 30 games this season and indeed last season.