MON's signings how do you rate them?

VillanousOne

I predict that this thread will go for many pages, maybe even hundreds
tumblr_lyyhtxciov1qbwgwg.gif

I have just clocked what you mean. You hate the obssesion with MON on Villa Talk. Well I am afraid thats the way it is. And it wont stop and there will be no "closure" after tomorrows game either. In fact I think it will get worse.

He had all the attributes to be a good player Davies..Rio ferdinand like.. Tall,Strong and quick.. To bad he never fulfilled his potential, could have been a great player.

Shame about that pesky ball control and ability to pass....

MON'S best signing was Young. His worst, well take your pick from the majority of the rest of his signings.

He also didn't sign Bent when he was available for less than we eventually paid for him which was criminal.

the fact we paid more money for Davies than Barcelona paid for Pique or United paid for Vidic really says a lot. a very poor player who only looked good next to Laursen. His performance at Anfield with Cuellar in the 0-5 defeat was absolutely dreadful

MONs strength is getting the best from average players, one of MONs weaknesses is the transfer market, but the said strength covers the weakness until he leaves.

Put it this way, I don't think the squad he left was vastly superior to the one he inherited.

spot on.... the club c 80 mill lighter

the fact we paid more money for Davies than Barcelona paid for Pique or United paid for Vidic really says a lot. a very poor player who only looked good next to Laursen. His performance at Anfield with Cuellar in the 0-5 defeat was absolutely dreadful

and basically there lies our problem of today.

It's time to stop obsessing about MON, it really is, folks.

when he has probably put the club back years in his expoits in the transfer market.....is there any wonder?

I'm sure his shopping will go down in Villa Folklore.

ps but don't worry he will do the same to sunderland.... given the money and the freedom to spend it.

though played excellently in the 3-1 defeat of Liverpool at anfield. Even described by Torres as the best defenders he'd ever come up against. From my memory the 5 nil defeat we didnt have a decent player. The worst by far being Reo Coker who made Reira look like a world beater.

I'd say Reo Coker, Cuellar, Harewood, Delph, Sidwell, Heskey and Beye were all big disasters even though I liked some of them.

They cost around £40 million in fees and probably around the same again in wages yet could have been replicated by far cheaper signings. I doubt we'll see more than £2 million back in total on these investments.

Zat Knight did pretty well for us and made far fewer mistakes than our current centre backs have made in the last 2 years.

when he has probably put the club back years in his expoits in the transfer market.....is there any wonder?

ps but don't worry he will do the same to sunderland.... given the money and the freedom to spend it.

(a) sorry to be a bit blunt but I think it is just complete nonsense that his signings "put us back years". I don't even know what this often repeated phrase means - which year exactly has it taken us back to?

(b)even if the phrase does have some meaning there is no point in people constantly writing out lists of the signings they think are "disasters" etc. That has no purpose at all and it probably helps to detract attention from the failures of our chairman and his appointed managers over the past two seasons, which is the real reason we are now worrying about relegation for the second season running,

This is not something we experienced during MON's apparently disastrous regime.

So, sorry, but focusing on the imagined wrongs of MON's time of management is obsessing and it isn't focusing on what is really wrong at the club at the moment.

(a) sorry to be a bit blunt but I think it is just complete nonsense that his signings "put us back years". I don't even know what this often repeated phrase means - which year exactly has it taken us back to?

I think it was Lerner's signings that put us years behind.

Stephen Ireland - has been a waste of money for the first season and part of this, but he is getting better. Not worth 65k a week in wages though, and an odd signing considering the wage bill. How can you pay 8 mill and commit 13.5 mill in wages the next four years when our situation is as poor as it is financially? And with no manager, risking that the new manager don't want the player?

Gerard Houllier - Not a good signing

Paul Faulkner - one of the people I believe is a huge problem at the club - disastrous signing

Alan Mc Leish - worst signing ever

So let's ask ourselves. How did we get into this mess? Was it the signings that sent us to three top 6 finishes? Or the Lerner signings?

Friedel wasnt a great signing. He was good but not great.

He was pretty great if you ask me.

Old, but played every match and had a very stable stint.

Then he was bought by a bigger and better club challenging for Champions League, where he has also been solid. He is in the top bracket, with Szcezny, Howard, de Gea etc. Behind Hart of course, but not much between the rest.

(b)even if the phrase does have some meaning there is no point in people constantly writing out lists of the signings they think are "disasters" etc. That has no purpose at all and it probably helps to detract attention from the failures of our chairman and his appointed managers over the past two seasons, which is the real reason we are now worrying about relegation for the second season running,

This is not something we experienced during MON's apparently disastrous regime.

So, sorry, but focusing on the imagined wrongs of MON's time of management is obsessing and it isn't focusing on what is really wrong at the club at the moment.

There is no imagined wrongs....there are tangible wrongs.

take the sack from over your head.... Of course the other managers have done worse, I guess if a one legged relay athlete passes you the baton it leaves a lot to do.

His signings were appalling by and large and don't retort with the old chesnut " all managers buy bad players" he bought more bad than good.... He handed over a side that could only play for him, his style " smash & grab" very little possession, just predominately hoof ball.

He had a manner of getting results, when others would struggle.... but in my humble opinion it all had no substance.

It has gradually got worse granted, but in my opinion after 4 years in the job he started the rot.

Ps do not construe from my comments that I'm saying that Houllier & McLeish are not to blame at all..... I happen to think Mon is a better manager than Mcleish.... I just simply think it all started with O'Neill and the poor signings was the catalyst.

Â