MON's signings how do you rate them?

VillanousOne

MONs strength is getting the best from average players, one of MONs weaknesses is the transfer market, but the said strength covers the weakness until he leaves.

Put it this way, I don't think the squad he left was vastly superior to the one he inherited.

Not this shit again.

I can' tbe bothered to address all the signings, but I'll just say that Zat Knight was in no way a disaster signing, and it really annoys me that people class him as such.

That's not to say he was a great player, but he did ok for us, he wasn't bought as first choice but did a job when he had to fill in for longer than we probably expected him to, he didn't cost much, he loved the club, gave us some great moments (debut goal vs Chelsea, equaliser vs Arsenal) and we sold him for a profit.

How is that a disaster?

He spunked a lot of money up the wall didn't he

Yes, and left us saddled with some expensive, highly waged 'flops'.

I actually can't think of any of his signings that are still with us that could be described as 'very good'.

The excellent ones he signed, have now gone (Milner, Young) as have the decent ones (Downing).

We're left with the average/half decent (like Collins, or RBD) and some flops.

Stan's obviously been a good signing though.

Not the best of legacies, it has to be said, although Lerner has to cop at least half of the flak for that too.

Now we're rebuilding, almost from scratch, with some very decent academy kids

Not this shit again.

I can' tbe bothered to address all the signings, but I'll just say that Zat Knight was in no way a disaster signing, and it really annoys me that people class him as such.

That's not to say he was a great player, but he did ok for us, he wasn't bought as first choice but did a job when he had to fill in for longer than we probably expected him to, he didn't cost much, he loved the club, gave us some great moments (debut goal vs Chelsea, equaliser vs Arsenal) and we sold him for a profit.

How is that a disaster?

Because:

a. he was shit

b. It shunted Cahill further out of the frame, which led to him wanting to leave, and MON being all too quick to sell such a talented young centre half, for far less than he paid for big Curt.

Not MON's finest hour, that.

Great: Ashley Young, Brad Friedel, James Milner

Good: Luke Young, Stewart Downing, Stylian Petrov, John Carew, Richard Dunne

Average: Chris Sutton, Nigel Reo-Coker, Brad Guzan, Carlos Cueller, James Collins, Marlon Harewood, Shaun Maloney, Zat Knight

Poor: Curtis Davis, Nicky Shorey, Fabian Delph, Stephen Warnock, Phil Bardsley, Moustapha Salifou

Disaster: Didier Agathe, Gabor Kiraly, Wayne Routledge, Scott Carson, Steve Sidwell, Emile Heskey, Habib Beye

Average: Chris Sutton, Nigel Reo-Coker, Brad Guzan, Carlos Cueller, James Collins, Marlon Harewood, Shaun Maloney, Zat Knight

Poor: Curtis Davis, Nicky Shorey, Fabian Delph, Stephen Warnock, Phil Bardsley, Moustapha Salifou

Disaster: Didier Agathe, Gabor Kiraly, Wayne Routledge, Scott Carson, Steve Sidwell, Emile Heskey, Habib Beye

Pretty much my take on it, maybe move Maloney down to poor

Agree with the list apart from 2 things. John Carew was average, his final year at the club he was extremely lazy and frustrating. And Moustapha Salifou was a disaster, yes he didnt cost that much, but what exactly has he contributed? Almost nothing.

Not this shit again.

How is that a disaster?

Because:

a. he was shit

b. It shunted Cahill further out of the frame, which led to him wanting to leave, and MON being all too quick to sell such a talented young centre half, for far less than he paid for big Curt.

Not MON's finest hour, that.

I disagree.

He wasn't shit. He wasn't great, and he certainly had shit moments. But he was an alright defender, that cost us 3 million, who we then sold for more than that.

Second point is true, but I think it's tedious to link that to Knight being a disaster. You can' t blame selling Cahill on buying Zat Knight, imo

Zat Knight was shit. He's a shit defender as is Curtis Davies. O'Neill bought them both, which forced Cahill out, and he moved Mellberg to right back to accommodate them. Harewood was another disasterous signing, as was Heskey. Spectaularly shit players who have been responsible for tens of millions of pounds exiting the club.

In terms of how much he cost, yes. But his performances were not actually that bad. It is just he did not get close to the amount he cost. Remember the 3-1 win at Anfield, surely that was one of the best indiviudal performances by a Villa player in recent years?

At £10m, Curtis Davies is the very definition of Disaster

Davies put in a handful of good performances but was no where near what we paid for him.

I think Zat Knight was average to poor but he wasn't all that bad considering he did a job and we got our money back/made a profit on him.

Shaun Maloney is another I wouldn't consider a disaster. Scored one or two important goals for us and just didn't settle. He's doing alright at Wigan at the moment. Think we made a little profit on him as well.

Although I'm inclined to agree with Risso's point that a lot of the players sapped the money out of the club with little return for our money.

Â