MON's signings how do you rate them?

VillanousOne

It's not so important who he bought.What is important is that he made some good signings and he made some bad signings, but the important thing is that he welded them into a team.A group of players, then he gave them a purpose and a direction and we ended up 6th.

A lot of people run MoN down but our team played a lot better when he was in charge, and I seem to remember that we tried to win, no matter who we played ( we had no such hang ups as Elite teams ) I also remember we won a lot of our home games.Yes, he spent a lot of money but how many teams that consistantly finish among the european places spend **** all ?!

Come back MoN, all is forgiven.

It's not so important who he bought.What is important is that he made some good signings and he made some bad signings, but the important thing is that he welded them into a team.A group of players, then he gave them a purpose and a direction and we ended up 6th.

A lot of people run MoN down but our team played a lot better when he was in charge, and I seem to remember that we tried to win, no matter who we played ( we had no such hang ups as Elite teams ) I also remember we won a lot of our home games.Yes, he spent a lot of money but how many teams that consistantly finish among the european places spend **** all ?!

EDIT: Everton and Arsenal have consistently out performed us in recent years.

PL-decade-spending.jpg

We are the 7th top spenders over the last decade - compare that to the number of seasons we played European football.

We have massively underachieved given our spending.

Hang on Davies was £10m plus whatever 2 years of wages at 40k a week (so another £4m)

and was sold to our local rivals (MADNESS !!) for £500k !!

That is just **** ludicrous on many levels

PL-decade-spending.jpg

We are the 7th top spenders over the last decade - compare that to the number of seasons we played European football.

You can have Arsenal higher up the spending ladder.The only reason they are 9th is because they were building their new stadium. And looking at your list I notice that the top spenders are also the top teams eg Chelsea,Man U, Liverpool etc etc.Which proves my point, " You dont finish in the top by spending peanuts"

It's quite simple really.If you could get to the top and stay there without spending large sums of money then you would see teams like Brentford,L.Orient, Sheffield W etc at the top ?!

PL-decade-spending.jpg

You can have Arsenal higher up the spending ladder.The only reason they are 9th is because they were building their new stadium. And looking at your list I notice that the top spenders are also the top teams eg Chelsea,Man U, Liverpool etc etc.Which proves my point, " You dont finish in the top by spending peanuts"

It's quite simple really.If you could get to the top and stay there without spending large sums of money then you would see teams like Brentford,L.Orient, Sheffield W etc at the top ?!

No no no. Don't move the goal posts.

You asked "who consistently gets into Europe spending **** all"

I answered - and gave you evidence.

Now ssshhhhhh.

In terms of how much he cost, yes. But his performances were not actually that bad. It is just he did not get close to the amount he cost. Remember the 3-1 win at Anfield, surely that was one of the best indiviudal performances by a Villa player in recent years?

Davies was beyond abysmal. When he and Cuellar formed the mainstay of the central defence for half a season, we averaged nearly three goals a game against. I always remember the home match that we lost 2-0 to Wigan, he went to head a ball and it just sailed about two feet over his head. He's a £2m player at best.

@Eames: Well I dont know about you but I see Chelsea,Liverpool, Man U in the top 5 and I am fairly sure that they finish high enough to qualify for europe most seasons ?!

Yup.... but they DON'T spend **** all. You asked about consistent European place finishers who spend less than Villa.

I answered your question. :thumb:

PL-decade-spending.jpg

Spurs have spent that much??????

In terms of how much he cost, yes. But his performances were not actually that bad. It is just he did not get close to the amount he cost. Remember the 3-1 win at Anfield, surely that was one of the best indiviudal performances by a Villa player in recent years?

Davies was beyond abysmal. When he and Cuellar formed the mainstay of the central defence for half a season, we averaged nearly three goals a game against. I always remember the home match that we lost 2-0 to Wigan, he went to head a ball and it just sailed about two feet over his head. He's a £2m player at best.

I dont think he was that bad to be honest. I would be interested to know other VTers opinions on Curtis Davies.

Actually, having just read the previous page I do agree with you that the transfer fee was probably the biggest factor in condemning Davies. I think if he'd been brought in for ~£4m, you could upgrade him from "disaster" to "poor" and his tenure probably wouldn't be looked upon with such lament.

Davies had a brief spell alongside Laursen where he looked extremely promising.

However, it would appear that was just as a result of playing alongside such a good centreback. Once Laursen was gone, Davies looked average at best.

Davies didnt help himself by bigging himself before he had even played, and then condemning himself for playing like a "pub player". Sometimes it is better to keep the mouth closed, and let others assess you.

But as has already been said, some people are relegating him to poor signing because of the price tag, and not nescesarily (sp) for the performances.

But when you're rating signings you HAVE to consider the pricetag, don't you? Or is this a thread purely talking abotu ability, because then the discussions are very different.

For example, most agree that Petrov's been a decent/good signing (depending on your viewpoint). But if he'd cost £80 million then you would have to say he'd been an awful signing.

Â