Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

A rumour from tonight on the BBC website says we're going to sign Steve Sidwell on Monday. Would be a pretty good player to have in the squad.

I doubt it. The 3 main problem areas going into the window were, right full back, (Bardsley), right midfield(Young) and a striker. Only 1 yet to fill(if we get Young), and its been a decent months of business, in my opinion.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A rumour from tonight on the BBC website says we're going to sign Steve Sidwell on Monday. Would be a pretty good player to have in the squad.

Would be a quality signing.

From sky sports

Sir Alex Ferguson has moved to clarify Gabriel Heinze's future at Manchester United, with the Scot denying reports which suggested the Argentine defender was in the final few months of his contract.

Heinze has struggled to nail down a regular starting berth at Old Trafford since recovering from injury and he had been linked with moves to Tottenham and Milan.

The buccaneering left-back had been quoted as saying his contract was due to expire in the summer, but Ferguson has moved to reassure the club's fans by insisting Heinze's deal is not up for renewal until 2009.

"One paper said his contract finishes in June. That's wrong, it ends in 2009," stated Ferguson.

"When I read that I immediately went diving for my file. I was sure that wasn't right. We don't allow these things to happen."

Asked whether Heinze had a future at United, Ferguson said: "Absolutely, of course."

Ferguson is reported to be targeting Southampton youngster Gareth Bale, but the Scot admits he has made little progress in his bid to improve his squad.

"We're hitting a brick wall [with bringing players in]," added the Scot. "I make the point every year, not a lot happens in January. It's usually very quiet.

"Ourselves, Chelsea, Arsenal are generally very quiet. Blackburn have done a bit of business, Portsmouth have done a bit of business. They have got two or three players in Portsmouth.

"Aston Villa are desperate to get players in. I spoke to Martin O'Neill last week and he is finding it difficult and it is not easy in January."

I'll add link in a jiffy!

that huntalaar's agent appears to be mooting him around, hinting that he would prefer an english team.

he is apparently the canines testicles, however also appears to be a costly player.

on the other hand, is there and feyanord players who are any good? now they are out of europe.

Would be a quality signing.

I agree. Kind of player that might not be outstanding at anything but can do a bit of everything. In midfield, unless you have somebody of a particularly highly quality at something (ie Makelele in the 'screening' role) then generally that is what you want.

Would be delighted if we brought him in, though I would also be surprised, to be quite honest.

Just a thought - if Young does sign, whaddya reckon to him talking his current team-mate Marlon King into signing in the summer?

(I know things don't work as simple as that, but you know what I mean :) )

Assuming his injury does not cause him any further problems, I reckon he could be a top player in a decent side.

Bardsley is here, the stop-gap solution with a possible long term solution coming with him if we sign him in the summer, you never know, Young is the, well, young player (if he comes) for loads of money, Sidwell and Tainio are rumoured to come here, and if one of them comes that will be the experienced but not "big name" player, so then there's only one player left to sign. The "big name" player who's really gonna remark our revolution. Huntelaar maybe? :mrgreen: I have to add that those "stop-gap, young gun, experienced palyer and big name signings to come now in january, the types, are my own idea and not what MON has said at all. Just what I thought we might sign and what I wanted us to sign. Still we might be halfway there. And if so, I'll concede myself as king of predictions. :nod: ;)

I expect to see some more to sign, certainly someone on the right.

I know I keep saying Milner but I expect MON to go in for him .....

Just a feeling thats all

We've already been in for Milner, NUFC quoted almost double what was agreed in August last year. Needless to say, the deal didn't progress much further.