Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not talking about whether he is mentioned or not though, am I? That is some weird sort of rule you have introduced, all this TPMWNMNBM malarky. Constant unfair criticism is what I was on about, knowing that the sheep would all say "baa, 3 bags full".

No matter, now what's all this?

However the person who they should very much rate is the manager.

"Should"? Is this some kind of eleventh commandment? A pity because you do talk a lot of sense with your comments about expectations.

To transfer speculation, it's fun to speculate and it's even nice to hear the odd rumour or two, at least it shows the club is making progress I mean we are actually linked to players who cost money these days!

For me, I'll join in with the rumour mongering , but I will give the manager the benefit of the doubt whoever he wants to sign. If he sees a player who he thinks can improve the squad or who he can get the best out of and the board back him, then brilliant.

I mean he is a clever man, he wants success. The last thing he wants is to do a crap job. Good players will help him do a good job, he knows that.

So if he wants Bardsley, Davies, Maloney, Nugent and Milner, then fine

Personally I expect we will see 5 net players into the club this January, not necessarily the 5 I have mentioned.

Was discussing with Rob (nurembourg) on Saturday about signings and I have to say the more I think about that discussion the more I agree with who he thinks we will be signing.

Sorry, my post crossed with yours, JC, and good you should let Richard's reply go up. Point taken Richard.

What is it though that people have against signings from Championship (or lower)clubs? Probably 0.001% of all players in the world join a big club and go straight into the first team. I can't think of one even. They all begin in the junior ranks of a big club or else they start with a small club, in their own country as a rule. The way some talk about players from the Championship you'd think that once they'd played in the fizzy pop league they become tainted in some way, untouchables never to be considered by the likes of us.

If this is so, why then do we loan out players to clubs in lower division? Is it just a way of putting them in the shop window? No don't bother answering - we all know the answer to that is no.

Some of our better buys have come from lower league/standard clubs.

Some of our worst buys have come from established quality as well!

That is very true. Think many on here wants at least one big name, me for one, but now fears there will only be lower league signings. I don't fear that.

But as said, this is really exciting and even if I won't be as excited with Nugent as with Huntelaar I'll still be excited. A new, exciting name, IMO.

In Spanish footballing circles they say something like "hombres, no nombres". In English "men, not names" isn't so clever cos it doesn't rhyme. But I agree with the sentiment because names may put bums on seats, but what care I? Men win matches. OK, so we sign Darren Bloggs from Hartlepool instead of Stavros Sánchez of Hesselink from Bayern Rio de Janeiro. Never heard of Bloggs? Well he may just be the new Pelé. Ronaldinho was a nobody once.

I still expect to see four, possibly five new signings and one or two loans.

If it doesnt happen, I wont exactly be upset though. I know a couple of the names we are looking at but that doesnt mean we'll get them.

I would be happy with Nugent too. I dont think he'd be the only striker we'd be after either.

Some of our better buys have come from lower league/standard clubs.

not necessairly. stone, boulding, balaban etc. but i can see your point

Which is why he said some. Obviously not all have.

And Stone was bought from a club who at the time were in the Premiership.

the only player im not too keen on is bobo balde, i would happily give him a fair chance if he came but the general celtic view from a forum i went on is that hes rubbish, and they can't wait to get his 30 grand a week off there books

i find it laughable that people are writing off david nugent and saying they don't want him etc, i bet these are the same people who said it about ashton and darren bent, and after critisiced villa because we din't beat other teams to there signings.

i would be delighted if we bought from the championship like spurs because they didn't buy the michael bouldings type, they brought very highly rated players, the likes of dawson and huddlestone, and other teams brought the likes of ashton and bent who were very highly rated for a long while and constantly linked with premiership moves like nugent, because they had the obvious talent to make it in the premiership

upson, SWP, davies, bardsley, keane, nugent, bent, defoe, diarra, maloney, milner, smith, i would be more than happy to sign any of them