Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's the last time i remember us signing a forward from the championship (div 1)

What about a current England regular, very tall, blonde hair? ;)

oh yea...he's hard to miss ain't he!!

as i say...very shit memory - and he wasn't hard to forget for us!

No bid for Upson???

from skysports

Birmingham manager Steve Bruce has rejected talk linking Matthew Upson with a move to city rivals Aston Villa.

Speculation had linked Upson with a possible move to Villa Park when the transfer window reopens in January.

Upson's future at Birmingham remains in doubt with the player keen to return to the Premiership.

A number of clubs are thought to be monitoring Upson's situation, but Bruce insists he has heard nothing from Villa.

"I only spoke to Martin O'Neill a couple of weeks ago and he never mentioned Upson to me," said Bruce. "Where that has come from, I don't know.

"That is just a nonsense of a story and it is not definite that Upson will move at all in January. Why would we want to sell arguably our best player when we were top of the league?

"Of course, I have to protect our investment. Unless it is an ridiculous offer, and every player has got his price, nothing is happening."

O'Neill ready to start spending at Villa

Dec 18 2006

By Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail

Martin O'Neill

MARTIN O'Neill today insisted he remains focused on bringing new players to the club in January - but is yet to make a formal offer.

O'Neill will be looking to spend big money as he seeks to bring in the firepower so badly missing against Bolton.

Robbie Keane is thought to be at the head of his list, but the Villa boss has been linked to a barrage of names in recent weeks, including Charlton's Darren Bent and Preston's David Nugent.

O'Neill and his chief scout Ian Storey-Moore have attended countless matches at home and abroad to cover all bases, but it is understood that the manager would rather save his money until the summer than buy second best.

O'Neill is adamant Villa have not been turned down by anyone, as has recently been suggested with regards to Newcastle's James Milner.

He said: "We're hoping to strengthen because we just don't have the squad to deal with the demands of the second half of the season.

"Us being ruled out of certain players are just newspaper stories - I have not made a formal offer for anyone."

O'Neill is also on the look-out for a pacey midfielder to play wide right and is seeking defensive reinforcements with

Manchester United's Phil Bardsley and Albion's Curtis Davies the latest names in the frame.

Randy Lerner will return to England for the Manchester United match this weekend when further talks will be held.

O'Neill continued: "I honestly don't know how much money I've got, but we're going to try to strengthen the squad.

"I want to strengthen a number of positions if we can. It might not be possible and if it's not then it will not be through lack of trying."

Meanwhile, Gavin McCann faces a race against time to be fit for the weekend sell-out against United.

O'Neill said: "Gavin got a very tight hamstring. We'll see what it's like. He was complaining about it eight or nine minutes before half-time. There was no point taking any chances because we don't have the required squad."

Clicky

Dec 18 2006

O'Neill said: "Gavin got a very tight hamstring. We'll see what it's like. He was complaining about it eight or nine minutes before half-time. There was no point taking any chances because we don't have the required squad."

Clicky

oooh...a DM to come in in January then?

Personally I would love us to get a player who improves on Gav. Who has all the bite but also the eye for a pass. A player who can still dominate games in a 4-4-2.

I know Gav is playing out of his skin and I really like the guy and would want him to stay and be involved but I also think we can do improve in that position.

Dec 18 2006

Clicky

oooh...a DM to come in in January then?

Personally I would love us to get a player who improves on Gav. Who has all the bite but also the eye for a pass. A player who can still dominate games in a 4-4-2.

I know Gav is playing out of his skin and I really like the guy and would want him to stay and be involved but I also think we can do improve in that position.

you mean Appiah? :D I've heard that from someone vary related to me. Well, me. :P

O'NEILL UNSURE OF BUYING POWER

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has admitted he is currently in the dark about the exact amount of money he will be given to strengthen his squad in January.

O'Neill has frequently stressed the need to bring in new blood to supplement one of the smallest squads in the Barclays Premiership.

But the Irishman is still waiting to find out just how much cash new Villa owner Randy Lerner will make available, although the American has confirmed he will provide some financial backing.

O'Neill is searching far and wide for potential targets and is believed to have identified West Brom skipper Curtis Davies and Manchester United defender Phil Bardsley as two possibilities.

O'Neill said: "We're hoping to strengthen because we just don't have the squad to deal with the demands of the second half of the season.

"I have not made a formal offer for anyone to be perfectly honest. I honestly don't know how much money I've got, but we're going to try to strengthen the squad.

"I want to strengthen a number of positions if we can. If it's possible, then we'll try to do it. It might not be possible, but if it's not then it will not be through lack of trying.

"Make no mistake about it, the players here have done terrifically. People can say we've not won in six matches but it's only three defeats in 18 games.

"It depends which way you want to look at it. Is the glass half full or half empty? But we do need to add players although that may be easier said than done."

O'Neill is waiting for news on the fitness of key midfielder Gavin McCann, who was substituted at half-time against Bolton on Saturday because of a hamstring injury.

He could ill afford to be without McCann for the demanding festive schedule which includes matches with Manchester United, Tottenham and Chelsea.

O'Neill said: "Gavin had a problem at half-time. His hamstring was very tight.

"There was no point in aggravating it at that stage and so we decided to have some discretion and take him off.

"We will see what it is like in the next two or three days. We would not want to lose him if at all possible."

Villa have taken only four points out of a possible 18 to drop into ninth spot after being in the top six for most of the campaign.

But midfielder Stiliyan Petrov is confident their fortunes will improve if they maintain the form shown against Bolton.

He said: "I don't think we deserved to lose at the weekend. We had so many chances and played very well. If we keep playing that way, we know we'll score goals and win games.

"We don't need to let our heads drop. We've had a few draws and maybe the games we're expected to win, we haven't won.

"But there's a long way to go and we just need to pick ourselves up."

Click