Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

looks like its gonna be nugent :? wont be impressed with that signing i must admit

Why not Dem.

I think it would be an exciting signing, other players have made the jump why not him.

Wait and see i suppose.

Saying that, its based on seeing him play for Eng Under 21's where Whittingham looks good :shock:

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like its gonna be nugent :? wont be impressed with that signing i must admit

Why not Dem.

I think it would be an exciting signing, other players have made the jump why not him.

Wait and see i suppose.

Saying that, its based on seeing him play for Eng Under 21's where Whittingham looks good :shock:

Its a gamble isn't it, for every Dean Ashton there's a Guy Whittingham

Unbelievable.

For years we have been complaining that the club does not spend enough in the transfer market and basically does not back the manager correctly. Well if just the list of 5 players that seems to be mentioned are bought (5 players FFS) then it's likely to be anything from 15 to 20M, and people still seem unhappy.

Unbelievable.

For years we have been complaining that the club does not spend enough in the transfer market and basically does not back the manager correctly. Well if just the list of 5 players that seems to be mentioned are bought (5 players FFS) then it's likely to be anything from 15 to 20M, and people still seem unhappy.

That's because they see the club finally having money to spend and want it spent on players that they rate.

You may rate Nugent, Bobo Balde, Philip Bardsley, but others may not and will see it as a waste of money.

It's about bringing in the right players, not how much money they spend.

And yes, trust Martin O'Neill etc, but people are allowed opinions on whether they rate a player or not. For example, I think Bardsley would be a waste of money as he's nothing better than what we've got and that Curtis and Nugent are both over rated. If O'Neill wants them, go and get them, but it's not going to stop me being disappointed that it isn't a player that I rate.

Unbelievable.

That's because they see the club finally having money to spend and want it spent on players that they rate.

You may rate Nugent, Bobo Balde, Philip Bardsley, but others may not and will see it as a waste of money.

It's about bringing in the right players, not how much money they spend.

And yes, trust Martin O'Neill etc, but people are allowed opinions on whether they rate a player or not. For example, I think Bardsley would be a waste of money as he's nothing better than what we've got and that Curtis and Nugent are both over rated. If O'Neill wants them, go and get them, but it's not going to stop me being disappointed that it isn't a player that I rate.

But this is all to do with expectations.

If people 'rate' Darren Bent, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Scott Parker, Stephen Appiah, and Robbie Keane and have decided that they are gettable, then if players who aren't as good as them are signed then they are bound to be disappointed.

At the moment, we don't know whether we will be buying the SWP level of player, the James Milner level player or the Lee Cook level of player. Depending on how you have personally set your level of expectation dictates how disappointed you will be.

There may be fans who have set their level of expectation at the Henry/Gerrard/Terry level of player, and will thus be unhappy if we sign less than that. Who knows.

There may be fans who have set their level of expectation at the Henry/Gerrard/Terry level of player, and will thus be unhappy if we sign less than that. Who knows.

Oh definitely, and I agree with you 100%. I some of the names that have been mentioned are a bit silly, and we need to go 'up' a level before we can get to that sort of purchasing. I think part of that though is down to a lot of fans craving for a big name - someone to get behind - to give a "wow, I can't believe we've signed him!" feeling.

I also don't think we'll spend that £15-20million on five players such as Richard has described - I'd be described if we managed to bring in any more than three players as I can't see O'Neill wanting to unsettle the side too much.

I also don't think we'll spend that £15-20million on five players such as Richard has described

I didn't say we would sign five players I said If we sign the 5 that people have generally mentioned it will be 15 - 20M

Nobody is going to rate EVERY player. However the person who they should very much rate is the manager.

As long as the club shows that they are backing his judgement then fine, I do.

Agreed and with what John said.

Why not Dem.

Wait and see i suppose.

Saying that, its based on seeing him play for Eng Under 21's where Whittingham looks good

i think 5m is abit much for an untested oremiership player. id rather bent or keane

Nobody is going to rate EVERY player. However the person who they should very much rate is the manager.

As long as the club shows that they are backing his judgement then fine, I do.

Disagree with the first point, agree with the second. There are people who don't hold the management team in such high regard as myself, you and others. That's their perogative. They have their own reasons, and you can't expect then to automatically rate a manager, like everyone cannot rate every player.

In addition we haven't signed the **** yet and already people "do not rate them" at least give them a chance to show what they can do in Claret and Blue.

I'm sure we would all back them and give them a chance to prove us wrong. I personally would be disappointed with signings from the championship.. as their not really exciting enough for me... id be disappointed but id give them a chance to prove me wrong for sure.

I think quite a few in my boat.. want a big signing for the 'wow' factor. To show we mean business... someone to bring in the crowds.. of course i trust MON.. but doesn't mean i have to agree with him. He will make mistakes.. hes not God.

I would back the players he signs.. but if I'm disappointed when they are signed.. then i don't see why thats a bad thing. I expect us to sign at least one player of REAL quality to improve the squad. More Petrov type signings.. than potentials.. we already have so many young future stars... lets bring in some ready made stars to improve the side.

In addition we haven't signed the **** yet and already people "do not rate them" at least give them a chance to show what they can do in Claret and Blue.

Again, for me there is two ways of looking at this. If someone says "it's a shit signing" staright after we have signed someone then I agree.

But there is a difference between that and thinking at performances at their previous clubs (if they've managed any), were poor.

End of the day have we signed anyone from the list of speculation yet? Does anyone on here truly know for certain who we are going to be buying, IF ANYONE?

I just think it's a bit early in the day for people to start saying how disappointed they are

Sure have an opinion to criticise if you want and sure you are entitled to it, I'm the last person to deny anyone that.