Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Paris SG and Messi are relatively unknown for them. Best argument to cancel the group stages of this tournament I have seen. 

Well maybe they dont consider Qatar a real place 😛

7 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Great club.

Novelty wears of very quickly.

We don't know, if after 10 years of success and participation in CL every season, Villa would fill 50k stadium in some meaningless CL group game.

Tickets are not cheap mind you. £70 quid or so.

5 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

We don't know, if after 10 years of success and participation in CL every season, Villa would fill 50k stadium in some meaningless CL group game.

Any idea why they're still called man city, inexplicable really.

As for us, different level, people that have only supported us during the last 10/15 years haven't seen us lift a trophy yet. I've seen us lift more trophies then what City won in a 100 years before they were plucked from obscurity. I don't think we'll ever have trouble filling stadiums if we get to the level these scumbags have.

21 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I say that when they don't sell out the charity shield, you can't do everything, a couple of trips to Wembley a year, champions league away games, champions league home games, home league games, away league games, something has to give 

When we were last in europe fans will obviously fondly remember the night vs ajax but I doubt they think about the group game vs zilina when MON played the B team from memory it was something shit like a 6pm kick off and we lost... We didn't sell out VP that night

After 10 years of European football I'm not sure we would sell out a dead rubber game vs brugge either 

Historically Man City have been better supported than we have and that’s in a smaller city than brum and with their neighbours being one of the biggest clubs in world football . At those prices I doubt we’d sell out dead rubber CL games and I also think continued trips to Wembley would soon lose novelty for a lot of clubs from the Midlands and north of England . They are one of the most loyal fan bases out there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Historically Man City have been better supported than we have and that’s in a smaller city than brum and with their neighbours being one of the biggest clubs in world football . At those prices I doubt we’d sell out dead rubber CL games and I also think continued trips to Wembley would soon lose novelty for a lot of clubs from the Midlands and north of England . They are one of the most loyal fan bases out there. 

I was having this discussion with a colleague recently. Man City's core fans, the legacy fans if you will, would put them in line with Sunderland in terms of this club size imo.

I think that's their natural stature in the game. The money has elevated them higher than that success-wise but hasn't generated a larger core group of fans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

I was having this discussion with a colleague recently. Man City's core fans, the legacy fans if you will, would put them in line with Sunderland in terms of this club size imo.

I think that's their natural stature in the game. The money has elevated them higher than that success-wise but hasn't generated a larger core group of fans.

I think we’ve always been the bigger club until recently . We’ve been a much bigger club than Sunderland for the most part . There’s only so long you can keep harping on about trophies won pre war and a European cup won nearly 40 years ago . The facts are city have bypassed us now like Chelsea have . 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think we’ve always been the bigger club until recently . We’ve been a much bigger club than Sunderland for the most part . There’s only so long you can keep harping on about trophies won pre war and a European cup won nearly 40 years ago . The facts are city have bypassed us now like Chelsea have . 

Agreed. It's a damn shame that we've never cemented a place of dominance once we've hit our successful patches.

City just seem manufactured at every level which makes them emit a strange vibe that I personally find hard to interpret.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

No one can argue that those 2 have over taken us by a mile, we have always been a bigger club, the ultimate sleeping giant if you will. The problem most fans have is the way it's happened and the damage its done to the game, they have more or less bought success.

There's some truth in people not even being able to afford to fully support Citeh, I'd imagine a lot of their real fans are normal working chaps who simply cannot fund it as much as they'd like.

Villa haven't lost a full generation of fans yet though, if we do achieve the sort of success citeh have, I think we will surprise a few with how many come out the woodwork. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Historically Man City have been better supported than we have

Not really, no. There have been spells where they have had higher attendances, and spells where Villa has. Overall it’s pretty similar, with differences in different decades. They obviously got given a stadium on the cheap and then got a sequence of loaded owners and bought their success and increased their crowds accordingly, but take that rocket fuelled ascent out of it and look historically and they were always like Everton, Villa and so on.

36 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

No one can argue that those 2 have over taken us by a mile, we have always been a bigger club, the ultimate sleeping giant if you will. The problem most fans have is the way it's happened and the damage its done to the game, they have more or less bought success.

There's some truth in people not even being able to afford to fully support Citeh, I'd imagine a lot of their real fans are normal working chaps who simply cannot fund it as much as they'd like.

Villa haven't lost a full generation of fans yet though, if we do achieve the sort of success citeh have, I think we will surprise a few with how many come out the woodwork. 

The demand the last couple of years has surprised me so yes if we really made it big demand would surprise a few no doubt 

40 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Agreed. It's a damn shame that we've never cemented a place of dominance once we've hit our successful patches.

City just seem manufactured at every level which makes them emit a strange vibe that I personally find hard to interpret.

Our success was very patchy and short lived, so yes we never fully achieved our potential I don’t think. I’m talking about post war here . 

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Not really, no. There have been spells where they have had higher attendances, and spells where Villa has. Overall it’s pretty similar, with differences in different decades. They obviously got given a stadium on the cheap and then got a sequence of loaded owners and bought their success and increased their crowds accordingly, but take that rocket fuelled ascent out of it and look historically and they were always like Everton, Villa and so on.

I'd have them more on a par with wolves, spam, leics etc

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

I was going off how many years they have averaged higher crowds than us. Plus they have several huge clubs close by where as we don’t . Birmingham is also a bigger city than Manchester. Everton have had several 50k averages and loads of 40ks . Think we’ve had 7 40k+ averages, far less than Everton.

Â