Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

18 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

There’s been a few of these made, it really shows how dominant Villa were in winning trophies. We were the leading all the way until 1977. You can see the point when the foreign investment came flooding in, football changed forever. 

Cheers, it was something like this that I'd seen before. This just shows trophies, when I was a kid I supported Villa because everyone did, we were known as the most successful club and then Liverpool in the 70s blew everyone away, they had the best coaches and developed their players better then everyone else, I don't think they really spent more then everyone else, they were just better. Then Fergie, George Graham, Wenger. It just really took off in the wrong direction with sky and all the money blew up. As others have said, it's not about sport anymore, just revenue, trophies are irrelevant to some.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Leicester stumbled upon a miracle among miracles. That team had no right to be in contention for anything, and in fact they had barely survived relegation the previous year with one of the great escapes. It's probably beyond the odds of winning the lottery. They shouldn't be a blueprint.

Regardless even with winning a title, they have yet to break back into the top 4 let alone challenge for another title, which shows you how high the glass ceiling is. It takes a monumental amount of money just to get 4th. It's not like the days of United of Arsenal where you could build organically with some smart buys and good youth players. Those days are long gone.

Whilst this is true on league finishes (which is all that matters), isn't there some stat about Leicester having been top 4 for the vast majority of both the last two seasons but falling right at the end?  They're basically doing everything right to establish themselves at the top end of the table.

19 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Cheers, it was something like this that I'd seen before. This just shows trophies, when I was a kid I supported Villa because everyone did, we were known as the most successful club and then Liverpool in the 70s blew everyone away, they had the best coaches and developed their players better then everyone else, I don't think they really spent more then everyone else, they were just better. Then Fergie, George Graham, Wenger. It just really took off in the wrong direction with sky and all the money blew up. As others have said, it's not about sport anymore, just revenue, trophies are irrelevant to some.

champions league too

who would have thought that paying four teams £50-100m each in prize money each season would generate disparity 

and still despite all of this the PL still somehow remains the most competitive league in most of europe, theres a few leagues out there that are properly ruined, the greek super league was introduced in 06/07 olympiacos have won 12 out 15 of them, bayern are approaching 10 in a row, dinamo zagreb have won 16 out of the last 16 croatian league titles...european football is **** 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

champions league too

who would have thought that paying four teams £50-100m each in prize money each season would generate disparity 

and still despite all of this the PL still somehow remains the most competitive league in most of europe, theres a few leagues out there that are properly ruined, the greek super league was introduced in 06/07 olympiacos have won 12 out 15 of them, bayern are approaching 10 in a row, dinamo zagreb have won 16 out of the last 16 croatian league titles...european football is **** 

Depends what you coin as "competitive", I suppose.  The PL has more variation in who wins the league, but the top positions are such an incredibly closed shop.

In the last 18 seasons, only Leicester (1st, 15/16)) have managed to infiltrate the "top 6" in finishing in the top 3 league positions.  That's 3 positions held by 6 clubs for 17 out of the last 18 seasons.  I imagine only Italy has a dominance as entrenched.

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

champions league too

Just now, bobzy said:

Depends what you coin as "competitive", I suppose.  The PL has more variation in who wins the league, but the top positions are such an incredibly closed shop.

In the last 18 seasons, only Leicester (1st, 15/16)) have managed to infiltrate the "top 6" in finishing in the top 3 league positions.  That's 3 positions held by 6 clubs for 17 out of the last 18 seasons.  I imagine only Italy has a dominance as entrenched.

The other leagues have for a long time been approaching Scottish prem type of thing where its just a couple of teams that win everything. Because of the sky money we have had 4 to 6 teams but ultimately probably 4 are winning everything. 

It will only get worse, everything is a pyramid system, openly now, its unstoppable. 

Levy would not swap Leicester's recent achievements for their turnover. Doesn't matter who wins now, the 6 are set here and that may quickly become 4.

yeah exactly, we're moaning that its a closed shop where realistically barring a **** only 4 teams can win it

germany, france, croatia, greece, holland, austria, bulgaria,  off the top of my head are a closed shop where realistically barring a **** up only 1 team can win it...

not sure whats happened to BATE in belarus, won 13 in a row and then not the last 2, ludogarets in bulgaria are up to 10 in a row

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Whilst this is true on league finishes (which is all that matters), isn't there some stat about Leicester having been top 4 for the vast majority of both the last two seasons but falling right at the end? 

Awarded the Lindsay Jacobellis Memorial Trophy for their efforts.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

yeah exactly, we're moaning that its a closed shop where realistically barring a **** only 4 teams can win it

germany, france, croatia, greece, holland, austria, bulgaria,  off the top of my head are a closed shop where realistically barring a **** up only 1 team can win it...

not sure whats happened to BATE in belarus, won 13 in a row and then not the last 2, ludogarets in bulgaria are up to 10 in a row

Man City have won 3 out of the last 4 and came second in their non-winning season.  Outside of Liverpool's couple of brilliant seasons, Man City have been comfortably ahead of the rest of the league.  12 points ahead of Man Utd last season, 15 points ahead of anyone else (but behind Liverpool) before that, 1 point ahead of Liverpool but 28 ahead of third place Chelsea before that, and 19 points ahead of Man Utd in 17/18.

Anyone betting against Man City this season?

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Man City have won 3 out of the last 4 and came second in their non-winning season.  Outside of Liverpool's couple of brilliant seasons, Man City have been comfortably ahead of the rest of the league.  12 points ahead of Man Utd last season, 15 points ahead of anyone else (but behind Liverpool) before that, 1 point ahead of Liverpool but 28 ahead of third place Chelsea before that, and 19 points ahead of Man Utd in 17/18.

Anyone betting against Man City this season?

i wouldnt

im sure that in the season they came 2nd they broke records too

the detractors wont see past pep spending the money but i agree he is bringing dominance to them, they're up to 4 league cups in a row now too, he's won 8 trophies in 4 years there, the owners have won 13 in 13 years - they still havent won a lot

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Whilst this is true on league finishes (which is all that matters), isn't there some stat about Leicester having been top 4 for the vast majority of both the last two seasons but falling right at the end?  They're basically doing everything right to establish themselves at the top end of the table.

They are, but they are still punching far above their weight. They still have a ways to go until their squad is as good as Chelsea's or Liverpool's who pipped them to 3rd/4th which is probably why they can't last the distance. It would probably take them 10+ years of this perfect storm continuing (and some top 4 finishes) before their revenue gets close to their rivals too. The deck is so heavily stacked against clubs like us.

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

There’s been a few of these made, it really shows how dominant Villa were in winning trophies. We were the leading all the way until 1977. You can see the point when the foreign investment came flooding in, football changed forever. 

We also had the most number of players capped by England not so long ago

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Alan Partridge Shrug GIFs | Tenor

Ultimately 'being in the top 4 for most of a season but then not finishing in it' is not a particularly meaningful achievement. And they aren't considered one of the 'big 6', because everyone that actually matters don't consider them to be on that level.

I like Leicester (a bit), I'd love to have had their last few years, but they are an example of how there isn't any mobility, not that there is.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ultimately 'being in the top 4 for most of a season but then not finishing in it' is not a particularly meaningful achievement. And they aren't considered one of the 'big 6', because everyone that actually matters don't consider them to be on that level.

I like Leicester (a bit), I'd love to have had their last few years, but they are an example of how there isn't any mobility, not that there is.

Oh, of course.  I think I said that?

"Big 6" is sort of redundant now really.  Leicester will be considered a top side if they manage a couple more t6 finishes IMO (5th twice in a row, basically 2 more seasons of that).  Given where they've come from and, as you rightly say, the challenge faced breaking the top end of the table, the way they're progressing is remarkable.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

worse than that, i think it justifies the hype that the league and the likes of sky want whilst at the same time giving them the result that they want

they're making life exciting and giving the misconception of competition but not actually doing anything

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh, of course.  I think I said that?

"Big 6" is sort of redundant now really.  Leicester will be considered a top side if they manage a couple more t6 finishes IMO (5th twice in a row, basically 2 more seasons of that).  Given where they've come from and, as you rightly say, the challenge faced breaking the top end of the table, the way they're progressing is remarkable.

Yes; I'm agreeing with you! :D

Did something I regret and feel I need a chemical bath to atone for it…

I went on Bluemoon…

They really do think that we should be thankful to them and kiss their arses for pillaging us of our captain every few years…

I went to Manchester once many years back for a Pearl Jam concert… Great gig, but the overwhelming sense of relief on the drive home to be away from that cesspit was phenomenal…

Seriously… The sooner that we can start testing anthrax on that city, the better…

• Haha 2

Â