Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

The fact that it has taken them 15 years and only now they look inevitable that they are going to  win a Champions League says to me that actually they are not as good as they think they are. Given they are also just dull and massive cheats just sours it even more. 

Can't remember watching a Champions League game in a very long time. Don't really have that much of an interest in it unless Villa would be playing (2024/5 here we come :D). 

• Like 1

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I  caught the end, and the gushing w@nkfest from the media. As astonishing to me as cheering Ben Johnson or Lance Armstrong whilst knowing AT THE TIME that they've cheated. Difference being I suspect all athletes of PED usage, whereas this situation with Citeh is a smaller sample size.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Already do. I watched Boro-Coventry instead.

No good people moaning about Man. City if you're still glued to watching them in CL and critiquing Jack's every pass and dribble.

Snap! I did same watched the boro game insread as i knew city were going to win

I will not bother with CL final either

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

The fact that it has taken them 15 years and only now they look inevitable that they are going to  win a Champions League says to me that actually they are not as good as they think they are. Given they are also just dull and massive cheats just sours it even more. 

Can't remember watching a Champions League game in a very long time. Don't really have that much of an interest in it unless Villa would be playing (2024/5 here we come :D). 

Paired with a general drop off of other clubs across europe

The big traditional European powerhouses are all having off years Barca, Madrid, inter, juve, Liverpool, utd have dipped in quality, even bayern have sacked their manager this year, the 2nd 3rd and 4th best teams in the PL weren't in the CL this year

But that won't fit the narrative

• Like 1

I get that they are under investigation, probably cheated and are corrupted, but anyone that say they are 'boring' needs to give their eyes a good wash.

They are excellent. The first 45mins last night was some of the best football I watched in a long while.

I don't like them as much as the next person. But my goodness, what a team.

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I get that they are under investigation, probably cheated and are corrupted, but anyone that say they are 'boring' needs to give their eyes a good wash.

They are excellent. The first 45mins last night was some of the best football I watched in a long while.

I find them incredibly boring to watch. Sure they play brilliant football, but most of the time it's barely a contest.

It's not boring because they play boring football, it's boring because they're almost too good and watching one team dominate the ball so much is just dull for the neutral. 

They're an incredible team sure. No dispute to that fact. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Spending £2bn on transfers under Pep as the traditional old guard of European football, mired in their own forms of corruption rot away shows their decline, not the quality of City so to speak. None of this spending power nor legal powers to overturn bans would be possible without the backing of the UAE. Just how Real and Barca have greatly damaged Spanish football, as with Juve in Italy, we see how the Champions League is nothing but a spectacle of grotesque wealth few clubs can compete with. With Haaland allegedly earning close to £1m a week at City (and we know they are cooking the books), how can other clubs compete with that? The playing field is so drastically uneven that it's just boring to watch. It's bad for the game in the long run. And UEFA have bent over backwards to keep these cheats on good terms. They got what they wanted in terms of the Super League in all but name. 

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I find them incredibly boring to watch. Sure they play brilliant football, but most of the time it's barely a contest.

It's not boring because they play boring football, it's boring because they're almost too good and watching one team dominate the ball so much is just dull for the neutral. 

They're an incredible team sure. No dispute to that fact. 

I get that. But it's like saying Mike Tyson or Michael Jordan are boring because they were a few levels above the others.

I don't know about it being dull for a neutral. I am more excited for a Man City - Inter final than I am for a Real - Inter final, simply so I can support the underdog. That creates a drama and gives a bit more spice to the game. 

Just now, Mic09 said:

I get that. But it's like saying Mike Tyson or Michael Jordan are boring because they were a few levels above the others.

I understand the point you're making but i'm not sure I agree. It's a very different scenario. It's not like Man City are a few levels above because of 1 or 2 individuals, it's more that they're playing a completely different game to everyone else in terms of squad depth etc. They can rest and rotate players in a way that no other team can and continue to be successful. Of course non of that works correctly if they don't have good recruitment and a brilliant manager in Pep.

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I don't know about it being dull for a neutral. I am more excited for a Man City - Inter final than I am for a Real - Inter final, simply so I can support the underdog. That creates a drama and gives a bit more spice to the game. 

I feel like the final is a complete non-event now so can't get excited by it. Wouldn't surprise me if City are 3-0 up at half time. Maybe i'm just overly pessimistic :D 

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I understand the point you're making but i'm not sure I agree. It's a very different scenario. It's not like Man City are a few levels above because of 1 or 2 individuals, it's more that they're playing a completely different game to everyone else in terms of squad depth etc. They can rest and rotate players in a way that no other team can and continue to be successful. Of course non of that works correctly if they don't have good recruitment and a brilliant manager in Pep.

I feel like the final is a complete non-event now so can't get excited by it. Wouldn't surprise me if City are 3-0 up at half time. Maybe i'm just overly pessimistic :D 

The realist tell me you are absolutely correct and it will be a complete destruction by pep ball and I'll flick over channels at 60 mins.

But I hope it's a good final! Go on Inter! 

4-0 over a team with such heritage as Real Madrid is a great result of course, but you have to factor in how unusually abysmal Madrid were. 

They lacked effort, desire, work rate, cohesion… everything. It was almost like a protest.

I think the talk of a walk in the park will suit Inter. They are a cup team and have players can hurt City

They dont play too dissimilar to Conte Spurs who exploited City a few times. The redemption of Lukaku would be lovely

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

4-0 over a team with such heritage as Real Madrid is a great result of course, but you have to factor in how unusually abysmal Madrid were. 

They lacked effort, desire, work rate, cohesion… everything. It was almost like a protest.

Ageing midfield, over reliant on one man that Walker had in his pocket, there was never a chance they could beat them 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Your not getting it.

Its boring because its not competitive well thats whatvi meant anyway =]

Edited by Demitri_C

I second that, it's boring because of the dominance.

Vettel in F1 for example...

The fact that they have cheated to do it just makes my disdain for Man City all the more evident.

Yes they have some great players that is not in question.

IMO they have helped to elevate the standard of PL football to the highest I’ve seen in my lifetime.

If the best team in the league is this good then the others (or at the least the ones with aspirations) just have to find a way to compete.

Liverpool in the past few seasons are an example now we will see if Arsenal can rise to the challenge or maybe the Geordies.

The Premier League benefits massively by having Citeh set the standard.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Already do. I watched Boro-Coventry instead.

No good people moaning about Man. City if you're still glued to watching them in CL and critiquing Jack's every pass and dribble.

Exaxtly .

i think I've made my position pretty clear on this. And as self righteous as I know it sounds,  people watching them just lends credibility to their sportswashing owners and almost makes what they illegaly achieve seem valid.

On that point, nobody ever seems to mention the sportswashing side of things with Man City. In terms of humanity it is far worse than cheating at football. Mind you when you can do both, get away with it AND have fans from rival clubs fawning over you, I guess it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't watch them if you paid me.

They should be boycotted for so many reasons. But they aren't.

• Like 3

I think we can all acknowledge that City are an absolutely fantastic team, but it’s a team that without cheating simply would never have been assembled. 

Its like Usain Bolt putting on a fake mustache and wig and blagging his way into his kids egg and spoon race. It shouldn’t be celebrated. 

20 minutes ago, av1 said:

Its like Usain Bolt putting on a fake mustache and wig and blagging his way into his kids egg and spoon race. It shouldn’t be celebrated. 

I think the moustache might raise suspicions 😉

Â