Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one for me is the bit from the video on the last page where city were receiving a sponsorship for (I can't remember the actual numbers) something like £20m a season and then invoiced the sponsor who reminded them that they were only responsible for £4m of that and that the bill for the other £16m was to be paid by an Abu Dhabi state fund. 

The Man City Chief exec stood up in a court of law and stated that this unequivocally did not happen - and then the journalist holds up an email trail where the Man City Chief Exec arranged these payments, himself, on a regular basis. 

He's lied to a court, and that seems indicative of the whole way in which City have approached this - the punishments will be about the lies as much as they're about the activities.

Out of interest, does anyone have a full list of the charges?

• Like 3

It's important to see what Serie A did to their 4(!) top teams when they were caught breaking rules, I think CAS won't be able to hold the line for City this time.

At minimum:

Relegation with a -30 points start.

Remove titles won in all the years of cheating.

Revoke licenses of any players city have paid off the books.

Fine the living hell out of the owners.

Enforce hard license processes moving forward as promised. No criminal syndicates are allowed to buy PL clubs.

What I think will happen?

Possibly a 3 year transfer ban and a sturdy telling off.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Thug said:

You’re of course right in everything you say there, but you’re forgetting one big point here.

When Derby or SHA get points deduction, those rules only apply to the poor teams. No body gave two shits.

What is happening at city more than likely has been happening at the other juggernauts.  It is in their best interests that any punishment is minimal, because if they ever found themselves in the same boat, they’d want the same minimised slap on the wrist.

The real power here is with the other 19 premier league clubs.  The outcome will depend on how much muscle they throw in behind the Premier League/FA in gunning down city.  

Any lack of support basically will tell you they’re pretty much guilty of the same stuff.  Without their support, the Premier League are about to get their asses handed back to them on a plate.

One thing that the PL will have in the back of their mind will be this Superleague stuff.

First Juventus, now Man City. We all know about Barca, and now Chelsea are going to be under every microscope.  You go in hard, and you’re soon going to have a situation where you have these giant clubs being thrown out of their respective leagues…

with nothing to do… except…

Play against each other.

I'm sure many of the same underhand tactics occur across the league, and I think you're probably right that the reactions of the other clubs (including our own, by the way) will be revealing. In some ways City are a bit unlucky that it was their systems that the hacker was able to access. But we know what we know now. 

51 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The club not cooperating with investigation into the past 5 seasons is a bit concerning to be honest.

The only logical reason to cooperate with investigations into 2008-2017 (the period covered by the hack) and not cooperate over 2018-2023 is that the punishment and reputational damage for obstructing the investigation is better than what would be revealed if you did fully cooperate.

Above from a City fan, interesting comment 

In rugby union, Saracens , who breached the salary cap, were told to open their books or face relegation. They chose the latter, said it all really. 

• Like 2

Clearly any investigation will take time but if they are proved to have broken rules then the book should be thrown at them. But we all know money talks and Citeh will have the best lawyers to defend/refute any charges. I expect the only punishment they’ll get, if anything is proven, will be a fine and/or some sort of transfer embargo. Didn’t Chelsea go through something similar a few years ago? Fat lot of difference that made to them 🤬

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There was also the small matter of $41.7m paid to his agent and his father.

I believe in the days of Big Ron, Big Mal, Cloughie and the like this would be referred to as a 'bung' 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Strog said:

Clearly any investigation will take time but if they are proved to have broken rules then the book should be thrown at them. But we all know money talks and Citeh will have the best lawyers to defend/refute any charges. I expect the only punishment they’ll get, if anything is proven, will be a fine and/or some sort of transfer embargo. Didn’t Chelsea go through something similar a few years ago? Fat lot of difference that made to them 🤬

I hope they hire that bloke who did the glove thingy for the OJ Simpson trial so it is at least entertaining 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

😀

Already found guilty? Is Simon talking about the Uefa investigation? Where the ruling got thrown out at CAS. I'm not sure that really counts.

That said,  Trevor doing the classic idiot response to something they know nothing about. The only reason they have him on is because they know it will make good viewing and he won't offer a single valid challenge to their bullying.

As much as I despise Man City, talksport are  shits as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Already found guilty? Is Simon talking about the Uefa investigation? Where the ruling got thrown out at CAS

Some of it got thrown out, due to time limitations ("it's over 5 years since they dun it, so too late, to punish them for that, UEFA"). They were still confirmed guilty and had to pay a 20 million fine and field reduced sized squad in the Champions league for offending, IIRC

• Like 3

I presume this went to a Premier league board vote, in which all 20 clubs get a vote? So the majority want them brought to task. Be interesting what the vote was? 19-1? 11-9?

I would think those at the top would vote against City due to the opportunity it brings them, ie one down. 

3 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I presume this went to a Premier league board vote, in which all 20 clubs get a vote? So the majority want them brought to task. Be interesting what the vote was? 19-1? 11-9?

I would think those at the top would vote against City due to the opportunity it brings them, ie one down. 

It goes to an Independent Commission, chaired by a KC (an actual legal judge). The Premier league experts did an investigation and charged them. Next the KC passes verdict from innocent to guilty for each of 101 charges. After that maybe the PL votes to endorse or alter any recommended punishment, I guess, or decide on the extent of any punishment. Dunno if the judge makes a recco on that, or if not.

• Like 1

Just on the process, the internet report that

Murray Rosen KC has been asked by the Premier League to select a three-person panel to form the commission that will hear the charges. At least one member of this panel must be a financial expert. The hearings will be conducted in private and there is no timeframe on how long the commission will take to complete its work. Legal experts imagine a matter of months. After the commission publishes its verdict, either side can go to an appeals panel and, after that, arbitration. If all that fails, a party could try to find an argument to take to the high court. Under the rules of association of the Premier League there is no opportunity for either party to go to the court of arbitration for sport in Switzerland.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

The FA will punish them and I think it will reveal how City manipulated evidence to overturn their CL ban. It’s the tip of the iceberg. 

The FA aren't involved. It's the Premier League who have charged them.

Â