Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

The FA need to bring in squad caps. Stop the Sugar Daddy'd teams buying up all the talent with their limitless funds.

Say, 26-30 registered players for the season.

Ummm...you know that they've already done that with a squad size of 25?

When was that?

This article refers to it by stating that of the new squad of 25, 8 need to be home grown.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would somone turn down £80k a week to ask for £100k a week?

Or more to the point, if someone offered you £100k per week why would you turn it down to sign for £80k per week?

because £80k a week doesnt exactly make you poor, these arent guys on the breadline trying to ensure futures for their kids

if you were talking those figures a year i can understand it, but when players are making huge sideways steps or even backwards steps to city i find it hard to put it down to anything other than greed

That doesn't answer the question.

If you were offered £100k per week or £80k per week, which would you choose?

It's very well sniffing at it, but it's their living. They are going to try and do as well out of it as possible.

What im trying to say is the kind of money these guys are already on makes them beyond ever worrying about their living! Adebayor for exmple must have been what 22/23, arsenal had put 5mil in his bank, would have put 10mil more but he thought hang on thats not enough for my future?

Here's my prediction, and its probably a fairly lonely one...

City will be no better this season than they were the last.

Silva - Will be a flop, Small, Flair driven Foreigners rarely make it in the Premier League.

Toure - May add some steel, but thats nothing they didnt have before with De Jong.

Milner - A good player, a fine player for a team competing at their current level, but isnt going to take you from the periphery of the champions league to title contenders.

Theyve done little to resolve their main weakness, being their defense.

Their players will need time to gel, again.

The foreign players will need time to adapt.

Theyve already taken steps to replace their best performers of last year; Bellamy is being ushered to the door and Adebayor, who had a pretty good season, seems destined to be replaced with another target man (Balotelli, Djeko etc).

And on top of that theyre slowly replacing the players who have a passion for the club (SWP, Bellamy, Dunne, Ireland, Richards) with Mercenarys demanding £200k per week.

I really cant see how signing Robinho Mark 2, Toure and Milner is going to take them from 6th place to competing with United and Chelsea, no way.

Even if Citeh were to stand still, they'll have signed one of our 2 best players and Spurs will potentially have the extra distraction of the CL to contend with; and MC only missed out last season by a few points so I think they'd still get 4th. I do think they'll be better in any case, but just saying they may not even need to be.

I suppose you can't really blame the players. They are in a job, heck Milner might not exactly love it at Villa and the fact he can get double what he's on at Villa, it's an easy decision for him. Different for us because we support the club but if we played for example at Blackburn and was on 40k then offered to go to Bolton on 70k, it wouldn't be a tough decision.

Even if Citeh were to stand still, they'll have signed one of our 2 best players and Spurs will potentially have the extra distraction of the CL to contend with; and MC only missed out last season by a few points so I think they'd still get 4th. I do think they'll be better in any case, but just saying they may not even need to be.

The thing about City is with each big name they sign, the pressure builds. All it takes is a bad run of form, and the turmoil begins. Players will piss and moan, Mancini will get sacked, they'll bring in the wrong guy, the owners will become bored, sell the team, the new owners will sell off their best talent, and the S.S. Man City will sink into oblivion. Matter of time.

The thing about City is with each big name they sign, the pressure builds. All it takes is a bad run of form, and the turmoil begins. Players will piss and moan, Mancini will get sacked, they'll bring in the wrong guy, the owners will become bored, sell the team, the new owners will sell off their best talent, and the S.S. Man City will sink into oblivion. Matter of time.

All this was said about Chelsea as well

All this was said about Chelsea as well

Exactly.

It's almost seven years later - they're still in existence AND they've won a heck of a lot more silverware than we have.

Exactly.

It's almost seven years later - they're still in existence AND they've won a heck of a lot more silverware than we have in that time.

Fixed. A username like yours shouldn't be making that error ;)

It'll be interesting to see what their 25 man squad looks like this season, and whether they sell the seven or eight first team players they no longer want or just leave them unregistered for the whole season.

There's also new financial constraints coming in soon, from what I recall, so I don't see how they're going to be able to support all these players and their extraordinary wages.

And what happens if those players struggle to adapt to England? It's not entirely unfeasible, especially with Silva. Plenty of extremely talented attacking players have come to England and found it too difficult to play here, only to then seek a move back to Italy/Spain/etc. With the wages City are paying, they're gonna be stuck with those players because no other team will come close to matching the wages they're currently earning.

When they are willing to pay £200k a week to a Barcelona cast off, £30m for James Milner and all the other Football Manageresque signings they make, they are single handedly destroying the English game by distorting the transfer market to the extreme. It WILL all end in tears.

See the thing is, they aren't really distorting the transfer market that much, only in the case of the players they want. Take Milner, anyone else bid for him? Not that has been rumoured. Anyone who Man City don't want don't go for stupid money, its only when Man City get involved does the price go up and even then they get turned down by players because they can't offer what the players want in terms of guarantees, competitions etc, they are still only getting the mercenaries to an extent

It'll be interesting to see what their 25 man squad looks like this season, and whether they sell the seven or eight first team players they no longer want or just leave them unregistered for the whole season.

There's also new financial constraints coming in soon, from what I recall, so I don't see how they're going to be able to support all these players and their extraordinary wages.

And what happens if those players struggle to adapt to England? It's not entirely unfeasible, especially with Silva. Plenty of extremely talented attacking players have come to England and found it too difficult to play here, only to then seek a move back to Italy/Spain/etc. With the wages City are paying, they're gonna be stuck with those players because no other team will come close to matching the wages they're currently earning.

Good points simply.

Anyone got a current squad list for City with their home grown etc?

Current Manchester City squad:

1 GK Shay Given

26 GK David González

27 GK Joe Hart

37 GK Gunnar Nielsen

2 DF Micah Richards

3 DF Wayne Bridge

4 DF Nedum Onuoha

5 DF Pablo Zabaleta

15 DF Javier Garrido

17 DF Jérôme Boateng

19 DF Joleon Lescott

28 DF Kolo Touré (captain)

30 DF Shaleum Logan

36 DF Javan lVidal

44 DF Dedryck Boyata

45 DF Greg Cunningham

6 MF Michael Johnson

7 MF Stephen Ireland

8 MF Shaun Wright-Phillips

11 MF Adam Johnson

18 MF Gareth Barry

24 MF Patrick Vieira

29 MF Kelvin Etuhu

33 MF Vincent Kompany

34 MF Nigel de Jong

40 MF Vladimír Weiss

48 MF Abdisalam Ibrahim

— MF Yaya Touré

14 FW Roque Santa Cruz

16 FW Jô

20 FW Felipe Caicedo

25 FW Emmanuel Adebayor

32 FW Carlos Tévez

39 FW Craig Bellamy

52 FW Alex Nimely

-- FW Robinho

Obviously they are going to have to whittle that down to 25, and they almost certainly will be buying more players as the summer progresses. David Silva will sign if he passes his medical after the World Cup and the Milner rumours will not go away.

Â