Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m still not having it.

I bet even small Heath don’t do £17.50 tickets to watch the shite they play at home.

I really struggle to get a ticket to watch Villa at home against anybody at full price. 

This is potentially the best football team on the planet playing knockout football in the most watched tournament in the world, and they struggle to get people through the gates. 

It’s generally not that fun to watch their pragmatic but effective style of football. The squad is also so strong that they are expected to win every game which also takes away some of the excitement (answering my own question)

the other 5 do season tickets with compulsory cup tickets, im guessing city don't

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Genie said:

They were doing a promo for their CL game against Sporting Lisbon for £17.50 a ticket on general sale already.
How can a team packed full of star players struggle to attract people to watch them live?

I typed out quite a long post, but deleted it. It's because it's boring to watch. Really dull. Like watching a 12 round boxing match between 5 stone ninja and a hanging sack of shit. 

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m still not having it.

I bet even small Heath don’t do £17.50 tickets to watch the shite they play at home.

I really struggle to get a ticket to watch Villa at home against anybody at full price. 

This is potentially the best football team on the planet playing knockout football in the most watched tournament in the world, and they struggle to get people through the gates. 

It’s generally not that fun to watch their pragmatic but effective style of football. The squad is also so strong that they are expected to win every game which also takes away some of the excitement (answering my own question)

But theyre not as big a club as Villa historically. They have a core fan base of 30 to 35k but inherited a ground about 50% bigger than their previous one. Are you saying that youd rather they had even more glory hunters going to their games like Man United do? I mean i suppose they will with time anyway, sadly.

I'd rather they just had their actual fans wanting to see them play and if that results in empty seats then that's really not an issue.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I yawn just thinking about that

Football is a weird game, eh?

Most fans basically aspire to their team being Man City.  They want massive investment in their playing staff, a run of bad results for a manager should see them sacked and they want constant improvement season after season.  Most fans want an absolute machine of a team that will win lots of things - they want to be Man City.

But Man City are an incredibly dull side. Why would you want that?

7 hours ago, turvontour said:

But theyre not as big a club as Villa historically. They have a core fan base of 30 to 35k but inherited a ground about 50% bigger than their previous one. Are you saying that youd rather they had even more glory hunters going to their games like Man United do? I mean i suppose they will with time anyway, sadly.

I'd rather they just had their actual fans wanting to see them play and if that results in empty seats then that's really not an issue.

I’m not saying anything about wanting them to have more fans, I assume they could comfortably sell out the stadium but they just can’t be bothered to go. CL knockout football and they are turning their noses up. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Most fans basically aspire to their team being Man City.  They want massive investment in their playing staff, a run of bad results for a manager should see them sacked and they want constant improvement season after season.  Most fans want an absolute machine of a team that will win lots of things - they want to be Man City.

Thrill of the chase I guess.  Our first few trophies would be amazing but then I'm not sure I'd enjoy total dominance that much which is weird because I guess it is the ultimate goal of any club.

Citeh still have that elusive Champions League trophy to validate their existence, but then what?  Football, completed it mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

what fans should want is what aston villa are right now...

safely mid table, no pressure to go down or stress over not getting europe / winning something, great youth prospects to get excited over, a couple of big names in the team, a lot of likeable players who i at least think like the club rather than wanting the money, capable of scoring goals whilst also bnot having that much quality meaning we concede goals giving us exciting games that could go either way, can beat anyone, can lose to anyone, i can step back and just enjoy it, did last season too, maybe next year who knows but eventually we will get the doorstep of 7th and it wont be like that anymore, the expectation and pressure will take over and i personally will enjoy it less, this place will become even more aggressive and demanding and in general the whole thing will just be less fun

how many villa fans do you think are actually happy and enjoy watching us? how many do you think thought wednesday was a great game of football?

how many man city fans do you think are happy and enjoy watching them? as long as they win they wont care

but in reality our game was better than man citys but they enjoy it more purely because of the result and thats what football is by and large

i'll swerve city and say i dont villa to ever be chelsea, tuchel won the CL last season yet he'll get a review and cling on to his job this summer when they finish 3rd behind 2 great teams, merry go round of managers and players that you can never fully commit to, either win or they've failed every game, every trophy 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

how many do you think thought wednesday was a great game of football?

Not very many, judging by the tone of the match thread and the reaction thread. Mostly just seemed to be people who were absolutely fuming.

Me, I think it was the best game of football I've seen all season, and the most exciting game since the 7-2 last season. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not very many, judging by the tone of the match thread and the reaction thread. Mostly just seemed to be people who were absolutely fuming.

Me, I think it was the best game of football I've seen all season, and the most exciting game since the 7-2 last season. 

I think it depends on the opposition. I remember we went to Stamford Bridge and drew 3-3 and I thought was brilliant but i bet Chelsea fans thought was one of the worst games of the season 

Was entertaining game but we should be definitely beating a team lower in the table at home with a 2 goal lead. For me coming back vs United was more entertaining 

50 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It really was a great game with most neutral news outlets reporting it as a “thriller”. I enjoyed it.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Genie said:

It really was a great game with most neutral news outlets reporting it as a “thriller”. I enjoyed it.

Im sure the ringer called it something like beautiful chaos and game of the year contender 

But Hanoi is right people in general are angry about it

Conversely man City stroll to a 2-0 win in a non event of a game that no one will remember in a week but they won and for a lot of fans that's all that matters 

People should enjoy villa more at tge moment because one way or the other this inconsistency and excitement generated by a lack of quality won't last forever - tomorrow is a great example, I haven't got a clue what will happen, we could get any result vs Newcastle, could be 0-0 or 4-0 who knows - that won't last forever, man City go in to that game knowing they'll win at a canter, is that better? 

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

man City go in to that game knowing they'll win at a canter, is that better? 

I mean it would be nice for us to have the odd home banker but with Man City the fun is just sucked out of it.  Evidenced by their goals (especially at home) being greeted with polite applause and more relief of expectation being met than joy.  We go mental when we take the lead against anyone. 

• Like 2

Doubt many fans are jealous and want their clubs to be anything like that organisation, that's what it is more so then being a football club. They have some good players and some nice passages of play though. 

The manager is a complete ****, most of the players celebrate goals with their team mates and barely acknowledge the crowd. Barely any of them have any affinity with the club or the area. 

I want us to be competing for champions League places and a chance at winning a throphies. The more teams that can take them on the better.

Really hoping Pep leaves when his contract is up, can't stand him but he is a good coach with good players, there's half a chance they may fall back in to the pack when he's gone.

The worst thing is the league has almost become like Scotland and Spain and the others, like any big business where all the money is at the top of the pyramid, a word so openly used now where it was not before, they didn't want us to kno who had all the money but they do not even care anymore.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Doubt many fans are jealous and want their clubs to be anything like that organisation, that's what it is more so then being a football club. They have some good players and some nice passages of play though. 

The manager is a complete ****, most of the players celebrate goals with their team mates and barely acknowledge the crowd. Barely any of them have any affinity with the club or the area. 

I want us to be competing for champions League places and a chance at winning a throphies. The more teams that can take them on the better.

Really hoping Pep leaves when his contract is up, can't stand him but he is a good coach with good players, there's half a chance they may fall back in to the pack when he's gone.

The worst thing is the league has almost become like Scotland and Spain and the others, like any big business where all the money is at the top of the pyramid, a word so openly used now where it was not before, they didn't want us to kno who had all the money but they do not even care anymore.

I actually fear what could happen if they get a more offensive coach than system Pep. De Bruyne, Bernardo, Grealish, Mahrez, Foden allowed to express themselves and they have a solid defence behind them

Football should be entertainment and unpredictable. Losing every week and being shit is no fun... we've been there. Winning robotically every week would eventually be the same. Its the thrill of the unexpected that makes football great. There are more exciting ways to win than Citeh... look at Liverpool. They are a lot more exciting to my eyes. 

Modern support though, and I see it on here, is beginning to demand perfection. Half of our team is shit after Wednesday and needs to be upgraded. Never heard such bullshit in all my life. I know this article has been posted before but its worth a read. Basically sums up this place as well, especially during a transfer window

https://dean-magazine.ghost.io/the-cold-dead-world-of-the-extremely-online-liverpool-fan/

But this obsession with transfers has grown into something beyond improving the squad—beyond what new players can do for your team on the pitch. It has become a hobby tangential to the sport. For this ideology to work, you have to buy into the idea that the 26 first team players that Liverpool can currently call on have no chance of succeeding this season, but if we had only added number 27, we’d be just fine. For this ideology to work, you must assume that every transfer will be a net positive for the club—that poor transfers frequently make a squad worse is never acknowledged. For this ideology to work, you have to believe that every setback we suffer this season could have been avoided if only we’d made more signings in previous transfer windows

Football used to be fun... the 17 or 18 years I was a regular, it was an enjoyable day. I had no pretensions about anything. I just wanted to see us win. You'd back your players and wouldn't abuse them if they made a mistake. Now, it is a constant quest for improvement and perfection. You must get better every year or you are a massive failure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I actually fear what could happen if they get a more offensive coach than system Pep. De Bruyne, Bernardo, Grealish, Mahrez, Foden allowed to express themselves and they have a solid defence behind them

The defense looks good because of the q1 man system, teams showing them too much respect too, if the games open up I'd wager they would concede more. Hate peps style but it wins, he has to have that level of player though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Football used to be fun... the 17 or 18 years I was a regular, it was an enjoyable day. I had no pretensions about anything. I just wanted to see us win. You'd back your players and wouldn't abuse them if they made a mistake. Now, it is a constant quest for improvement and perfection. You must get better every year or you are a massive failure.

Yes there was no live football apart from Fa cup finals and European cup finals when I started watching and society weren't so critical about everytjing. we just got on with it. No Internet no social media, we vented our frustration on friday nights on local radio or dioan the pub with our mates after the match. Two matches on MOTD or Hugh Johns on sunday afternoon. 

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

The defense looks good because of the q1 man system, teams showing them too much respect too, if the games open up I'd wager they would concede more. Hate peps style but it wins, he has to have that level of player though.

Yep defence looks good because they keep the ball and then press to win it back when they don't have it (although I think city are peps worst team in terms of press) 

And in Dias they have the best defender in the PL which helps 

• Like 1

Â