Ryan Giggs - only 64 caps for Wales

MrDuck

I'm sure six or seven million quid a year would be all the motivation he needed. I'd run ten miles a day barefoot for that kind of money, and I'm woefully unfit!

We have all seen how the world stops when the world cup is on. And to a lesser extent when the Euro is on.

Does it? Really? I've hardly watched anything of recent WC's and Euro's, doubt I'll bother much this year either. International football apart from the odd game is incredibly DULL. Why? Because most international teams are collections of individuals, they don't train enough together to be a team, squads are rarely stable and players are often asked to play semi-unfamiliar roles to accommodate the mangers style of play, it all adds up to a rather sterile game of football imo, largely defensive minded with little in the way of teamwork and guile.

tbh International football is very much like watching the Villa right now.

We have all seen how the world stops when the world cup is on. And to a lesser extent when the Euro is on.

Does it? Really? I've hardly watched anything of recent WC's and Euro's, doubt I'll bother much this year either. International football apart from the odd game is incredibly DULL. Why? Because most international teams are collections of individuals, they don't train enough together to be a team, squads are rarely stable and players are often asked to play semi-unfamiliar roles to accommodate the mangers style of play, it all adds up to a rather sterile game of football imo, largely defensive minded with little in the way of teamwork and guile.

You personally might not be interested when the world cup is on, but I think it is fair to say most people are. It is all everyone is talking about, its all over the tv, people who dont normally care about football all of a sudden become big fans and experts. People are very patriotic and many get emotional when their country loses. And this is the case across many countries, not just England. The world does stop when the world cup is on. Ask any pub landlord when his most profitable times are. The summers when a big tournament is on.

Except he's not saying 'no one is interested' is he?

He says that 'not everyone' is interested which is correct. I think it's great, but I know scores of people who couldn't care less.

No if you re read his post he did not say that either.

You personally might not be interested when the world cup is on, but I think it is fair to say most people are. It is all everyone is talking about, its all over the tv, people who dont normally care about football all of a sudden become big fans and experts. People are very patriotic and many get emotional when their country loses. And this is the case across many countries, not just England. The world does stop when the world cup is on. Ask any pub landlord when his most profitable times are. The summers when a big tournament is on.

This.

• 8 years later...
Just now, Greenfly said:

Remember when he was the media's "Golden Boy" who never put a foot wrong? I bet he misses those days.

He’ll probably have another miss world on his arm in a couple of months time.

9 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Remember when he was the media's "Golden Boy" who never put a foot wrong? I bet he misses those days.

He pretty much won the Player of the Year for his loyalty and being a great guy 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He pretty much won the Player of the Year for his loyalty and being a great guy 

He's the most overrated player of all time. Talked up constantly but yet his own fans boo'ed him and wanted him gone at one stage of his United career. Reinvented himself as a central midfielder except he wasnt any good at that either. 

At his peak he was a very good player, but his peak was about a third as long as is remembered now and there are many other united players who were miles better than him but dont get the recognition. 

• Like 1

Just now, villa89 said:

He's the most overrated player of all time. Talked up constantly but yet his own fans boo'ed him and wanted him gone at one stage of his United career. Reinvented himself as a central midfielder except he wasnt any good at that either. 

At his peak he was a very good player, but his peak was about a third as long as is remembered now and there are many other united players who were miles better than him but dont get the recognition. 

Giggs was a steady performer. Rarely put in lower than 7/10 performances every week. That's what made him so impressive.

Giggs was never really a stats guy. Didn't score or assist in the high numbers.

Â