Straight choice - Ellis or Lerner?

Risso

Who do you prefer?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

• Doug Ellis
    • Randy Lerner

Ellis,

I have seen better times under Ellis. I saw a promotion, 2 league runners up spots, UEFA cup 1/4 final, 2 league cup wins, FA cup final, FA cup semi final. Better signings on the whole, better football on the whole, better managers as Lerner has so far appointed Houllier and McLeish.

And I am 100% certain Ellis would never have appointed a cretin from Small Heath to be in charge as he would never have been so stupid. He would also never of appointed Faulkner.

Doug would have also sacked somebody for being 15th in the table and having no wins at home for 3 months.

He is also left the club stable, he bought Bodymoor Heath and the land around villa park and left us in a good state.

I appreciate that people are free to choose Ellis in the same way you are free to choose, say, scientology as your religion. But given what both have done, I can't take anyone seriously who chooses him unless they're of an age that they can't remember, in which case they're excused.

Agreed.

Oh, and anyone harking back to Ellis' managerial appointments, and whatever else they deemed to be better under Ellis are forgetting the absolute dog shit appointments (such as Venglos, Turner, GT MK II), and that all the 'glory' days spanned over decades. Lerner has been here for less than six years; three/four of those were good years.

The only thing I can say for Ellis us he would have never appointed McWordRemoved and, if he had, would definitely have sacked him by now.

I'd say Ellis, for the simple reason that he would have never employed a manager who had got his previous club relegated TWICE.

On the whole, Ellis employed managers who were actually a success here. Taylor, Atkinson, Gregory, Little were all Ellis recruits and raised the profile of the club. Ellis also employed Martin O'Neil.

Houllier and McLeish is all Lerner has to show. Neither of them wanted by the fans.

It was unthinkable a few years ago that we would be scrapping around the lower echelons of the Prem and going into derby matches against the likes of West Brom and Wolves as anything other than favourites.

We were all laughing last May at SHA when their pitiful excuse for a club were relegated again under that Scottish clown.

Now we have ended up with him, paying a substantial amount for his services.

You couldn't make it up.

Rubbish. MON wasn't one year and Hoolyhoops nearly croaked. Eck AFAIK is still around.

The O'Neill years were completely living beyond our means though. It was as false a feeling of security as the economy of the UK with everybody's houses rising in value threefold. Based on smoke and mirrors. Most of the money spent (and wasted) has to be paid back. Plus Lerner took and £8m "management charge". The only thing that is stopping Aston Villa being technically insolvent is the value of the ground. The net worth of the club is now less than when Ellis sold.

Lerner.

Those getting all bleary eyed over the football of the Ellis need to remember that football has changed now. Villa under Ellis were going down.

Villa under Lerner are heading in the same direction.

Lerner. Silly question.

If Randy reads the McLeish thread (among others) and gets despondent, he should come and read this one.

But he does need to replace Faulkner and McLeish though.

Well my memory of villa really only starts around the start of the premier league.

Under doug we were 6th in total premier league points. Our average league finishes weren't too bad, we experienced European football, some cup finals and winning trophies.

I don't remember consecutive seasons worrying about relegation.

Lerner IMO has done nothing amazing as yet. He did what any idiot winning the lottery could do, he spent with no real thought of the future. He did some good things but I now believe it was mainly PR. He saw why people hated doug so much and basically did the opposite. It's bought him a free pass with a lot of fans but that's dropping now the poor decision making that continues to hold the browns back has shown up at villa park.

Money is the only real thing Lerner has over doug and even that was something he didn't earn himself.

we never would have seen a signing like bent under ellis

that says it all really. lerner all day long

Angel at the time was a pretty big signing.

And bent was signed because we'd sold a good player for big money and knew another good player was going in the summer.

Ellis would never have allowed us to become the laughing stock we are now.

Obviously I mean no disrespect to the person who posted this, but what exactly were we when we held up the entire division in 1987 (finishing bottom)?

Here’s another reason why I dislike Ellis. How DARE he send Villa out wearing such utter rubbish:

VILLA19871989.jpg

Easiest question I have ever answered. Lerner.

Anyone who would not recognise our most important day in our history is someone better off out of this club. Plus many, many other reasons why Lerner.

Funny how people forget so quickly.

we never would have seen a signing like bent under ellis

that says it all really. lerner all day long

We signed far better players than Bent under Ellis. Dean Saunders for example. Bent was nothing more than an emergency signing to stop us going down. For proof that it wasn't a strategic move, you only have to look at the subsequent sales of Young and Downing.

Â