coda

11 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

He got Derby into the playoff final (I can still hear the Derby fans chanting his name) and Chelsea top 4 with a transfer embargo. It's easy to reduce these things but he did really well at the start of his managerial career.

Getting Derby promoted would have been an achievement, albeit with a strong squad. He only got them to 6th in the Championship.

Chelsea had a far better squad in 19/20 than they do now, and bought a load of players in the summer of 2020 (Havertz, Mendy, Chilwell, Werner, Ziyech).

Sacked halfway through season 2.

Nothing there to suggest he is decent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Sacking Potter was fine, but sacking him with zero plan for the aftermath is just stupidity.

Their whole plan revolved around giving Potter time, and then . . . they didn't give him time. For what? They weren't going to beat Real Madrid anyway, but Potter had just beaten Dortmund and so there was some evidence to suggest he would at least set the team up competently. 

They should have just gone through to the end of the season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Their whole plan revolved around giving Potter time, and then . . . they didn't give him time. For what? They weren't going to beat Real Madrid anyway, but Potter had just beaten Dortmund and so there was some evidence to suggest he would at least set the team up competently. 

They should have just gone through to the end of the season. 

Think the fans turning on Potter helped Boehly decide since he seems to take the populist opinions

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

Getting Derby promoted would have been an achievement, albeit with a strong squad. He only got them to 6th in the Championship.

Chelsea had a far better squad in 19/20 than they do now, and bought a load of players in the summer of 2020 (Havertz, Mendy, Chilwell, Werner, Ziyech).

Sacked halfway through season 2.

Nothing there to suggest he is decent. 

no but i think it does suggest what he is, the likes of chalobah, james, mount, tammy, the CB now at milan all reacted well to having him there as the coach, the promise of an opportunity and to play for a chelsea / england legend it was a perfect setting for him, season 2 and now they sign a load of well established names, too many names, the opportunity has gone the appetite has gone, the respect for what he did is his career has gone, the big signings arent interested in him, mentally they were off it which is something chelsea should know because same with tuchel, jose and conte they were mentally off it, they're an incredibly weak club

thiago silva wont judge him as a player or even as a personality that he knows and looks up to, he'll judge him as a coach and see the short comings

lampard should be U21 manager, thats about his skill set

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

What an idiot.

To be fair I did my fair share of dumb decisions at 18 and I’m sure plenty more on here have to. The people advising him should have know better it’s likely they did and have lined their own pockets at the expense of Carney’s career.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, a-k said:

To be fair (and devil's advocate)...play for Gerrard or for Tuchel on 100k p/w?

To be fair, the decision at that point would have been to play for about £35k per week, or not to play but get £100k per week.

im obviously guessing at those figures.

but to be honest, I think we’ve done pretty well out of that deal.  I can’t imagine him getting in ahead of any of our midfielders at the moment.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Think the fans turning on Potter helped Boehly decide since he seems to take the populist opinions

I think that's exactly right but that shows how muddled the approach is. If you hire Graham Potter, you wait for him to get the players up to speed. If you want to be populist, you don't hire Graham Potter. Abandoning a long-term strategy shortly after starting it never looks good when it happens; we'll see if Nagelsmann turns them round, and then maybe suddenly Boehly will look smarter. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think that's exactly right but that shows how muddled the approach is. If you hire Graham Potter, you wait for him to get the players up to speed. If you want to be populist, you don't hire Graham Potter. Abandoning a long-term strategy shortly after starting it never looks good when it happens; we'll see if Nagelsmann turns them round, and then maybe suddenly Boehly will look smarter. 

Would be fascinating to watch a team run purely on fan sentiment. Could be a revolutionary new approach that these American money men love. 

Players subbed after crowd groans with misplaced pass. 

New contracts after encouraging sub appearances.  

22 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

That's cause he's pony. A ludicrously overrated player with a bad attitude.

He may be overrated but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he has a bad attitude 

Â