coda

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They look like they genuinely could lose all their games in the run in under Lampard. What were the odds on them finishing bottom half in August?

I did think when they offered Frank the job (apart from the obvious question of why) that they are so bad even Frank can’t make them worse and he can’t do any more damage to his reputation as a manager but somehow he is. I can’t see how or why anyone would ever risk hiring Lampard again he really has no ability as a manager at all. Tactically clueless with astonishingly bad and disjointed team selections. You can see how him and Gerrard never managed to work for England with the lack of tactical awareness the two possess 

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It is just a (hilarious) bump in the road for Chelsea, we all know they are capable of having the occasional season where they finish in mid table but they'll just keep throwing money at the problem until it isn't a problem any more and they'll be back at the top end of the table. 

One of the interesting short term things is what happens to that squad this summer?   They can't possibly keep all of the players, I'm not even talking from an FFP point of view but just the sheer practicalities of how do you conduct a training session with so many players in the first team squad?  How do you keep them all happy?  Guys like Sterling, Mount, Pulisic, Gallagher (and half a dozen others) must be wondering whether the golden handcuffs are worth it right now.  There might be a fire sale and some real bargains to be had. I think a lot of the players will be out of Villa's price bracket but if I were a club with Champions League money then I'd definitely be speaking with a few of the Chelsea player's agents to find out who is happy and who isn't. 

Is it just a bump in the road? I guess without detailed knowledge of their finances we can’t say for certain, but I’m not sure how they could sustain more than a couple of seasons outside of the CL with their wage bill.

I never got the sense they had the huge following that a club like Man U or Liverpool has that mean they could ride out a period of relative failure on the pitch.

• Like 1

If (and it’s looking likely) Chelsea miss out on European football this season, will that first, affect their ability to sign expensive players next season, players who “always dreamed of playing in the champions league” and also, managers that want to manage in the champions league?

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

If (and it’s looking likely) Chelsea miss out on European football this season, will that first, affect their ability to sign expensive players next season, players who “always dreamed of playing in the champions league” and also, managers that want to manage in the champions league?

Like Carney?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Depends. If all clubs are smart and don't pay the over inflated fees for players like ziyech gallagher etc then they will be.

But chelsea always seem to get good fees for players that are not that great (under roman anyway but who knows under these guys)

I wouldnt mind chabolah or pulisic at villa tbh

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Depends. If all clubs are smart and don't pay the over inflated fees for players like ziyech gallagher etc then they will be.

But chelsea always seem to get good fees for players that are not that great (under roman anyway but who knows under these guys)

I wouldnt mind chabolah or pulisic at villa tbh

Isn't Pulisic meant to be a bit of an arsehole though? We have a good group of characters at the moment so we would want to maintain that.

Chalobah could be converted into an Emery right back but you'd imagine he wouldn't be sold cheap.

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Isn't Pulisic meant to be a bit of an arsehole though? We have a good group of characters at the moment so we would want to maintain that.

Chalobah could be converted into an Emery right back but you'd imagine he wouldn't be sold cheap.

Im not sure thats 1st ive heard that about pulisic tbh

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not sure thats 1st ive heard that about pulisic tbh

There was this:

Christian Pulisic under fire from animal rights group following stunt involving vulnerable species | CNN

Christian Pulisic under fire from animal rights group following stunt involving vulnerable species

Christian Pulisic has been criticized by conservationists for posting a video on Instagram of himself performing football tricks above a goliath grouper fish, before falling into the water and landing on top of the vulnerable marine species.

The 22-year-old Chelsea and US men’s international star, who has been spending the off-season in Florida, was sitting on the edge of a boat doing kick-ups above the fish, which was hooked on a line below him as others filmed the stunt.

Pulisic then lost his balance and landed on top of the fish, which can be seen flailing about in the water, before he climbed back onto the boat.

• Thanks 1

Keep it going Chelsea

Todd Boehly tells Chelsea squad season is ‘embarrassing’ in post-game speech | Chelsea | The Guardian

Todd Boehly tells Chelsea squad season is ‘embarrassing’ in post-game speech

Todd Boehly attempted to rouse Chelsea’s players before Tuesday’s Champions League tie against Real Madrid by delivering a speech in the dressing room after the defeat by Brighton on Saturday, during which the American described the club’s season as “embarrassing”.

The co-owner was joined by his fellow board members, Behdad Eghbali and Hansjörg Wyss, when he addressed the squad after Chelsea fell to their third consecutive defeat. Boehly, who had been barracked by supporters during the Brighton game, waited for Lampard to finish talking to the players before stepping up to makeclear that the hierarchy expected far better after spending close to £600m on signings since buying the club last summer.

About an hour passed before Boehly, Eghbali and Wyss were seen exiting the dressing room and although it is not unusual for owners to speak to players, one insider said that “the whole thing was weird”.

It is understood that one senior player, signed for a large fee in the past 12 months, was singled out for heavy criticism. That player, whose identity is not being disclosed, is believed to be disillusioned with the situation and cut a disgruntled figure in training before Chelsea attempt to overturn a 2-0 deficit from the first leg against Madrid.

Although Boehly made clear his displeasure with the team’s form, Boehly’s broader intention was to motivate the players before the biggest game of the season. He said the Madrid match represented a chance for Chelsea, who are 11th in the Premier League and at risk of not qualifying for Europe, to salvage the campaign.

• Haha 1

They look clueless under Lampard, and he's out here talking about platitudes like "this wasn't a Chelsea performance, you need to play with pride" etc. As toothless up front as they were under Potter, you could see how they were trying to play. 

• Like 1

Abramovich's shadiness has been known about for donkeys. Everyone knew his money wasn't strictly 'legit'. He was in the right place, at the right time, knew the right people, and knew what he needed to do to ensure things stayed that way. Chelsea's legacy is basically a proxy of Putin's in Russia.

Opened the door for English football to be a PR machine too.

41 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s not really surprising, it’s why I’ve never understood why people hated Man City so much but didn’t mind Chelsea. 

I think plenty of people did hate them for it, certainly for the football side of it.

But it was always one step removed in terms of sportswashing. It’s not some sheik directly buying City to make themselves and their country look better, it’s a Kremlin-linked billionaire spending his money to make himself feel important. I don’t necessarily think Putin gained much benefit from it in terms of PR.

Â