Ghosts

TrentVilla

On 24/09/2023 at 22:45, Mark Albrighton said:

In our mid twenties, me and my mates stayed at the Station Hotel in Dudley because supposedly it was haunted and we decided that we wanted to do our bit for paranormal research while getting drunk.

Been thinking about this hotel stay we did. It’s slightly unusual as we never did anything like that before or after. Nothing even remotely similar to staying in a supposedly haunted building, or even talked about doing something like that. The way of youth, I suppose.

Something akin to this that I wouldn’t be totally against doing would be a ghost tour of a town/city. I can imagine the better ones are kinda fun and in their own way informative.

That’s one thing about stories concerning ghosts and ghouls from centuries ago I appreciate, they inadvertently give a little snapshot of the way people thought and acted (a glimpse into their psyche, maybe) and it will often come with an historical element that is likely true. 

A silly story about a ghost who haunts a given location because they were hanged there brings with it a nugget of likely true information, which can probably be verified, that they performed capital punishment at that location. I suppose the supernatural element plays its part in delivering the more factual element of the tale.

Of course through this ghost story I typically only get that glimpse into that superstitious way of thinking from those who believed the ghost story in the first place, not from those people at the time who potentially thought it was bollocks.

• 1 month later...

I got a carton of milk from Asda, on it there's an illustration of a cow, it keeps freaking me out because it looks the cow is staring staight at you, and the way it's depicted is as if it's craned it's neck to do so. What's more h̸i̶ː̷b̶ɪ̴ˈ̴d̵ʒ̴i̷ː̷b̶ɪ̴z̷  is that I've looked on Asda website for picture of the milk as proof and it's not there, as if it doesn't exist in real life

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It seems ghosts can manipulate items seeing as they seem to love to bang floor boards and such.

Therefore, surely a ghost would see fit to sign up to an internet forum or post stuff on Twitter.  If ghosts are real, why has nobody ever admitted to being a ghost online?

1 hour ago, useless said:

I got a carton of milk from Asda, on it there's an illustration of a cow, it keeps freaking me out because it looks the cow is staring staight at you, and the way it's depicted is as if it's craned it's neck to do so. What's more h̸i̶ː̷b̶ɪ̴ˈ̴d̵ʒ̴i̷ː̷b̶ɪ̴z̷  is that I've looked on Asda website for picture of the milk as proof and it's not there, as if it doesn't exist in real life

Yeah that’s weird, I can’t find a cow on any of their milk cartons, just these plain red ones.

IMG_0522.jpeg.163cd577d300e7fa84e0ac947ea9bdcb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

So my hope that in one of the multiverses I am always right, is not possible?

Oh, bugger!

Are you confusing string theory with the "many worlds" interpretation?

Someone asked the question: "Do any string theorists believe in the Many Worlds Interpretation of QM (where the wave function is physically real)?"

And got the answer from Chethan Krishnan, an Indian string theorist.

"I do! (Even though there are gaps in the many worlds picture that I am unhappy about, I think they are not insurmountable.".

So I live in hope!

• Haha 1

On 25/09/2023 at 13:56, Chindie said:

Where are the ghosts of anything?

Even if you set aside any scientific considerations and say 'ok, lets assume ghosts are possible', the numbers thing kills the whole story. Why numbers?

Well...

If ghosts are thing, even if a very rare thing, there's been so many living creatures on the planet that there should be ghosts absolutely everywhere. We should be wading through a ghostly tide of bacteria, of billions upon billions of untold generations of bacteria across hundreds of millions years. Even if we assume bacteria don't count, there's still been billions and billions of 'higher' developed creatures, you'd see ghosts everywhere all the tall even if it's only a fraction of a percentage of living creatures that get to be ghosts they'd be everywhere. Even if you chop it down further (and there's no reason to) and say only humans get to be ghosts, which raises further questions itself, we'd still see them all the time, hospitals would be riddled with them, historic buildings would all have a couple at least, every street over the entire world would have have a few wandering about.

And why would you chop it down to humans only? For a start there's long been stories of ghostly cats and dogs, are they just all to be discounted? If so, why are humans special? And if it is only humans that are special, when do we become special? We don't seem to have caveman ghosts, so presumably there must have been a time at which we got to be special humans and not just some other non-ghost enabled species, when and why was that?

It's nonsense.

And why are they never just walking down a high street in broad daylight, visible to hundreds of people at once?

• 3 weeks later...

The curtains of his bed were drawn aside, I tell you, by a hand. Not the curtains at his feet, nor the curtains at his back, but those to which his face was addressed. The curtains of his bed were drawn aside; and Scrooge, starting up into a half-recumbent attitude, found himself face to face with the unearthly visitor who drew them: as close to it as I am now to you, and I am standing in the spirit at your elbow.

🥶

Edited by useless
From Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. In Prose. Being a Ghost Story of Christmas

Â