Ghosts

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

Would you share the evidence that convinced you to believe this?

Of course.

My apologies in advance, *lengthy post alert*.

One experience was whilst walking in a corridor at a place I used to work (from the changing room area back onto the shop floor of the building).

Walking along having just been to the toilet, I walked down this corridor and just before approaching the heavy doors entering to the hand wash area, I felt this shove on my back - my left shoulder blade area to be exact, which natuarally made me jump and enough to send me forward slightly in my stride.

Of course, I look behind me expecting to see someone has followed me and crept up behind me etc. I was speechless after I turned around to see no one was around. The nearest door in that corridor was 50ft away where I had just came from, and impossible for anyone to have sprinted away and went back there such short time. The next door after that is 100ft further down the corridor which was the female changing area and the fire exit doors opposite their entrance.

No one else was present in that corridor at that time. I still find the whole experience utterly bizarre to this day.

The other experiences was the night my father passed away in hospital.

I got a call at 1am to tell me he isn't going to make it through the night (had a 3rd cardiac arrest 2 hours before).

I make it in to the hospital and into where he's based (everyone else is sitting down the corridor in the waiting area when I arrived) 

I get there and he kind of sits up and clear as day says to the nurse.. "that's my son..  that's him, he's the one I was telling you about"

A few minutes later he talks to me, again all quite normal about things and then says "well, you've just missed them all"

Who dad?

"Everyone, they were all here a while ago, you've just missed them".

I said it's okay, I've just seen (named them) down in the waiting area.

"Nooo, not them,..  Eddie, Robert, John, Agnes, they were all here too but you've just missed them by minutes"

Not long after that, he sadly passed away an hour later.

Eddie, Robert, John and Agnes where all his brothers and sisters that had died many years ago and had long been gone.

The other experience came in September 2015 after my mother had been taken into hospital. My dad and her husband of over 50 years had died 18 months prior in 2014. In the month before in August of 2015 her mother also passed away. Sadly, my mother suddenly turned I'll 2 weeks after my Grans funeral and her condition deteriated quite suddenly too. I was luckily visiting the house when I found her and had to call the ambulance at the time.

She wasn't very responsive or making much sense prior to going into hospital and I'm not sure whether she was having a stroke or losing her mind at the time.

Anyway, She had been in hospital almost 3 weeks by now and was still not talking much, hardly awake, and wasn't much of a person in this time.

During one occasion during visiting hour, my sister, niece and I were sitting around the bed on the left side. I got up to walk across the ward toward the sink area and my mother still not really responsive by this stage were we actually start fearing the worst. Suddenly, out of nowhere, my mother starts talking.. eyes are still closed but her hand is now outside the right hand side of the bed and appears to suddenly start communicating clear as day with my Gran and it's as if my Gran is sitting there present too.

I'm standing watching what now looks like something or someone has clasped her hand and she starts crying out clear as day "Noooo mum, you can't, don't leave me here, please. Take me with you, pleeasee" - like a child who's being left behind when her mum leaves for work 'kind of cry' in her voice.

It all lasted for no more than probably 20 seconds and she just kind of gradually flopped back into being the lifeless figure she had been in the three weeks prior to that point. The 3 of us just looked at each other in pure shock and disbelief.

My mother went on to make a slight recovery to a stage where it was like a new person. She was back. Sitting up, talking to me clear as day, memory sharp as a button, but remained in hospital.

Long story short, Sadly she also passed away in December 2015.

I know it's not quite the hooded cloaked figure floating through a wall stuff, but it's sadly the closest I've came to experiencing that kind of phenomenon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

However, I do believe there is some existence to ghost/spirit phenomenon in general.

Well I’ve posted previously that I have ‘seen a ghost’.

Moved in to an old house, there on my own there’s a noise upstairs I go to the bottom of the stairs and at the top, an old lady. I tried to tell her she was in the wrong house whilst running up the stairs. Got to the top, nobody there, no way out except passed me.

Now that’s my first hand experience of having seen something. But I absolutely do not believe in ghosts. I do believe in tricks of the light and tricks of the brain as it glitches sometimes whilst trying to process and order stuff.

In some ways I’m working on the opposite theory to Seal in this thread. I have seen it with my own eyes. I don’t believe in it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Moved in to an old house, there on my own there’s a noise upstairs I go to the bottom of the stairs and at the top, an old lady. I tried to tell her she was in the wrong house whilst running up the stairs. Got to the top, nobody there, no way out except passed me.

Now that’s my first hand experience of having seen something. But I absolutely do not believe in ghosts. I do believe in tricks of the light and tricks of the brain as it glitches sometimes whilst trying to process and order stuff.

In some ways I’m working on the opposite theory to Seal in this thread. I have seen it with my own eyes. I don’t believe in it.

Yeah I’m the same, I think everyone’s had some kind of weird experience at some point but then that’s because we’re weird living things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That's fair enough. 

I agree about the whole trick of light and also occurrences of what happens when you just wake up and what have you.

I've also read and heard accounts of other people, workers on London underground etc. Who have stated similar to your account with what you experienced with the old lady.

What would these occurrences be best defined as do you think if not Ghosts?

Spirits? Trapped between portals?.

I personally described it as phenomenon as I couldn't think of another other way in what to put these experiences down to.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's fair enough. 

I agree about the whole trick of light and also occurrences of what happens when you just wake up and what have you.

I've also read and heard accounts of other people, workers on London underground etc. Who have stated similar to your account with what you experienced with the old lady.

What would these occurrences be best defined as do you think if not Ghosts?

Spirits? Trapped between portals?.

I personally described it as phenomenon as I couldn't think of another other way in what to put these experiences down to.

I absolutely wouldn’t call it spirits trapped between portals. I’d call it a very old animal brain sometimes doing stuff we don’t understand.

I’ve got to go out for a couple of hours, when I’m back I’ll try and relay a couple of recent hospital stories, the brain is an incredible thing and I’ve witnessed some incredible stuff in the last week… but I’m on my way out so that’ll have to wait. The brain recalls stuff and overlays reality and memory. You can be opening a real physical door to let someone through that isn’t there. It’s not ghosts, unless you find comfort in ghosts, in which case, it’s absolutely ghosts. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Of course.

My apologies in advance, *lengthy post alert*.

One experience was whilst walking in a corridor at a place I used to work (from the changing room area back onto the shop floor of the building).

Walking along having just been to the toilet, I walked down this corridor and just before approaching the heavy doors entering to the hand wash area, I felt this shove on my back - my left shoulder blade area to be exact, which natuarally made me jump and enough to send me forward slightly in my stride.

Of course, I look behind me expecting to see someone has followed me and crept up behind me etc. I was speechless after I turned around to see no one was around. The nearest door in that corridor was 50ft away where I had just came from, and impossible for anyone to have sprinted away and went back there such short time. The next door after that is 100ft further down the corridor which was the female changing area and the fire exit doors opposite their entrance.

No one else was present in that corridor at that time. I still find the whole experience utterly bizarre to this day.

The other experiences was the night my father passed away in hospital.

I got a call at 1am to tell me he isn't going to make it through the night (had a 3rd cardiac arrest 2 hours before).

I make it in to the hospital and into where he's based (everyone else is sitting down the corridor in the waiting area when I arrived) 

I get there and he kind of sits up and clear as day says to the nurse.. "that's my son..  that's him, he's the one I was telling you about"

A few minutes later he talks to me, again all quite normal about things and then says "well, you've just missed them all"

Who dad?

"Everyone, they were all here a while ago, you've just missed them".

I said it's okay, I've just seen (named them) down in the waiting area.

"Nooo, not them,..  Eddie, Robert, John, Agnes, they were all here too but you've just missed them by minutes"

Not long after that, he sadly passed away an hour later.

Eddie, Robert, John and Agnes where all his brothers and sisters that had died many years ago and had long been gone.

The other experience came in September 2015 after my mother had been taken into hospital. My dad and her husband of over 50 years had died 18 months prior in 2014. In the month before in August of 2015 her mother also passed away. Sadly, my mother suddenly turned I'll 2 weeks after my Grans funeral and her condition deteriated quite suddenly too. I was luckily visiting the house when I found her and had to call the ambulance at the time.

She wasn't very responsive or making much sense prior to going into hospital and I'm not sure whether she was having a stroke or losing her mind at the time.

Anyway, She had been in hospital almost 3 weeks by now and was still not talking much, hardly awake, and wasn't much of a person in this time.

During one occasion during visiting hour, my sister, niece and I were sitting around the bed on the left side. I got up to walk across the ward toward the sink area and my mother still not really responsive by this stage were we actually start fearing the worst. Suddenly, out of nowhere, my mother starts talking.. eyes are still closed but her hand is now outside the right hand side of the bed and appears to suddenly start communicating clear as day with my Gran and it's as if my Gran is sitting there present too.

I'm standing watching what now looks like something or someone has clasped her hand and she starts crying out clear as day "Noooo mum, you can't, don't leave me here, please. Take me with you, pleeasee" - like a child who's being left behind when her mum leaves for work 'kind of cry' in her voice.

It all lasted for no more than probably 20 seconds and she just kind of gradually flopped back into being the lifeless figure she had been in the three weeks prior to that point. The 3 of us just looked at each other in pure shock and disbelief.

My mother went on to make a slight recovery to a stage where it was like a new person. She was back. Sitting up, talking to me clear as day, memory sharp as a button, but remained in hospital.

Long story short, Sadly she also passed away in December 2015.

I know it's not quite the hooded cloaked figure floating through a wall stuff, but it's sadly the closest I've came to experiencing that kind of phenomenon.

Thanks for all the detail, but anecdotes aren't evidence. This might be sufficient for you to have formed a belief, but there is nothing testable or falsifiable there to come to a belief rationally. Did you decide that you believe in ghosts purely because you couldn't think of any other explanation?

A friend of mine claims to sense ghosts.  The first time she mentioned it we were sitting in coffee shop.  She told me that she sensed someone had died there. 

We were sitting in a converted 700 year old building that was once a pub and before that a hospital for the poor,  It stood in a city that had a history going back to roman times.  There had been at least 2 very bloody battles for ownership of the city. 

I would guess that we walk over a place someone has died many times every day. 

30 minutes ago, limpid said:

Thanks for all the detail, but anecdotes aren't evidence. This might be sufficient for you to have formed a belief, but there is nothing testable or falsifiable there to come to a belief rationally. Did you decide that you believe in ghosts purely because you couldn't think of any other explanation?

No.

I've always been a bit open minded whilst sceptical to the whole subject I guess, but those occasions didn't alter my mind any or convince me otherwise.

But as you say, prob best continued more for the ghost/spirit thread.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I absolutely wouldn’t call it spirits trapped between portals. I’d call it a very old animal brain sometimes doing stuff we don’t understand.

I’ve got to go out for a couple of hours, when I’m back I’ll try and relay a couple of recent hospital stories, the brain is an incredible thing and I’ve witnessed some incredible stuff in the last week… but I’m on my way out so that’ll have to wait. The brain recalls stuff and overlays reality and memory. You can be opening a real physical door to let someone through that isn’t there. It’s not ghosts, unless you find comfort in ghosts, in which case, it’s absolutely ghosts. 

Are you back yet? I've been waiting bloody 7 hours for your post!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Are you back yet? I've been waiting bloody 7 hours for your post!

I got spooked by the Limpid warning!

Where should I take it? Make a new ghostliest and ghoulish thread, or general jabbering?

I’ll just finish my noodles first….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Was any of that super natural?

We can't propose that "supernatural" is a candidate explanation for anything until we can demonstrate that there is such a thing. Might as well say it was some unicorn pixies, but not the green ones.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

We can't propose that "supernatural" is a candidate explanation for anything until we can demonstrate that there is such a thing. Might as well say it was some unicorn pixies, but not the green ones.

I’m gonna put you down as a maybe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So, last week I had a bit of an unplanned stay for five or six days in my local big university teaching hospital in a High Care Ward.

During my time there, in my little 7 bed ward, three guys died. All old fellas, god bless the lot of them.

The first one, well he died in quite a peaceful way he was directly across from me, his breathing got a little more animated than it had been, then it stopped. No drama he just sort of peacefully stopped but I heard it happen.

The second one, he was in from a care home and had clearly been shipped out to die. Stopped taking food, had a coloured sheet tied to the base of his bed which clearly meant something significant. On his last day he was ‘recognising’ people. By that, he’d gone from not talking on arrival to greeting nurses and visitors as long lost school friends. He was recognising someone was there but then thinking they were old school friends. He was also greeting people as old long lost friends… when there was nobody there. A couple of times I’d hear him suddenly start up a conversation with a long lost friend when there was nobody there. Then he went quiet, then he died.

Did he ‘see’ these old friends? had they basically come to collect him? Or was that a brain crossing strands of thought and memory and glitching out in its final closing down?

The third one was altogether more animated. Having been silent and stationary since I’d arrived, he was immobile, being moved and turned to prevent bed sores. Then, one morning, at 3 in the morning he is literally up and out of bed! Not only that, but phoning people, phoned his son and demanded he be picked up and taken home there and then. An hour later, he’s phoned 999 asking for an ambulance to take him to a proper hospital. An hour later he’s phoned the police to report that the nurses here are fake, he’s seen them, they’re aliens not real nurses. He doesn’t know what the plan is but this isn’t a real hospital these aren’t real nurses its all fake. He knows this because the people he is with have told him. He’s chatting with the people he is with, telling them to be quiet whilst he’s on the phone, asking them for taxi numbers to get out. Asking them to wake the rest of us up (it was ok, we were all already awake).

Then he agreed with someone he thought he was talking to that he should lay down and have 5 minutes.

Then he died. Poor old bugger.

Was any of that super natural? That a man being turned by nurses to avoid bed sores was suddenly out of bed and using a smart phone? That he was talking to people, inter acting with people? Taking advice from, from who? To then lie down for a while.

Yeah, a fun week. But I can completely see how if the family had witnessed those last two deaths, they may well have had a very different take from it to mine.

My view would be that during the dying process synapses start firing at random and that the failing frontal cortex becomes incapable of sorting information into coherent perceptions, so things seem unreal to the subject.

It seems likely that long established memories of people in the past become superimposed on the sense data of seeing the people actually present, and the subject assumes they are the people in the memory.

The big question is whether the stress of dying causes the neurons in the raphe nuclei region of the brain to secrete serotonin, and whether it makes dying almost pleasant.

I often wonder whether death comes with a strong sense of relief.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:The big question is whether the stress of dying causes the neurons in the raphe nuclei region of the brain to secrete serotonin, and whether it makes dying almost pleasant.

I often wonder whether death comes with a strong sense of relief.

Isn’t DMT released as we die? A strong naturally occurring psychodelic. 
People who take it recreationally claim to have so called “near death “ experiences and even see aliens etc.

• Like 1

Â