Your Favourite Xmas Song

Paddywhack

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Possibly Leona Lewis or Kelly Clarksons tunes. That said last year saw the Gwen Stefani song with Blake Shelton. They are all pretty ubiquitous now. All are getting regular play now. 

I'd add Santa Tell Me by Ariana Grande as well.

But it's obviously in the eye of the beholder. If someone wasn't listening to commercial radio stations during the last decade when they were released then they're not going to be "recognisable straight away" to that person however popular they might be in the wider world.

• Like 1

Christmas is a load of ol' religious bollex as far as I'm concerned (burn him!, burn the heretic!), but this [if we really must] sort of works, and it's just ever so slightly weary in lyrical tone. Low - Just Like Christmas

• Like 2

On 05/12/2019 at 20:52, Seat68 said:

God. Where to start this is my sweet spot. From the obscure to the populist I love it all. From Underneath the tree by Kelly Clarkson to Christmas  Downer by Departure Lounge to Just Like Christmas by Low. Oh jeez Low. Tomorrow I work from home and flood this thread. 

As a fellow aficionado, a few to check which you may or may not know (I don't think they've come up in this thread) but are good additions for any eight-hour Christmas day playlist:

Christmastime - Smashing Pumpkins
The She & Him Christmas album, but particularly Christmas Day
The Ghost Of Christmas - Manic Street Preachers
The Christmas Song - The Raveonettes
Christmas Is Coming Soon - Blitzen Trapper
Christmas is Cancelled - The Long Blondes
Christmas In The Trenches - John McCutcheon
This Ain't New Jersey - Smith & Burrows

The last three in particular end up on very hard rotation in my house through December. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

As a fellow aficionado, a few to check which you may or may not know (I don't think they've come up in this thread) but are good additions for any eight-hour Christmas day playlist:

Christmastime - Smashing Pumpkins
The She & Him Christmas album, but particularly Christmas Day
The Ghost Of Christmas - Manic Street Preachers
The Christmas Song - The Raveonettes
Christmas Is Coming Soon - Blitzen Trapper
Christmas is Cancelled - The Long Blondes
Christmas In The Trenches - John McCutcheon
This Ain't New Jersey - Smith & Burrows

The last three in particular end up on very hard rotation in my house through December. 

The only one I am aware of is Smith and Burrows so off to youtube I go. 

There is a lot of nonsense on this thread.  Charley J Repson. Give me a break. 

There hasn't been a good Christmas song released since 1987 when the Daddy of Christmas song's was released. 

Honourable mentions

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Christmas is a load of ol' religious bollex as far as I'm concerned (burn him!, burn the heretic!), but this [if we really must] sort of works, and it's just ever so slightly weary in lyrical tone. Low - Just Like Christmas

Since when has Christmas been religious? Get with the programme @blandy. Christmas Religious?  What an odd thought. 

• Like 2

On 28/02/2020 at 11:17, mjmooney said:

What's your favourite Boxing Day song? 

It's high time U2 and ABBA were challanged for a New Year's song.  That's what I would aim for if I was a songwriter aiming for a pension pot.  Way too much competition for Christmas song's.  Pretty much any half decent New Years song is going to make it. 

How about this for a boxing day song? 

Not my favourite song but a pleasant tune, nonetheless. 

Also for good measure, the same soundtrack has an even more lovely instrumental for New Year’s Eve*.

*unless I’ve misunderstood and it’s actually about his fondness of Simon Nye, creator of Men Behaving Badly.

• Like 2

Â